Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Whats with the Apple lovers?!

I'm currently trying to get back my 500+ contacts on my iPhone 3GS after a full reinstall of my laptop resulting in the loss of all my contact (completely expected).

I then sync'd with my phone, and then tried to update my Contacts to Outlook.

Lost all my contacts! Making me very VERY angry!

So I decide "instead of smashing my troublesome phone with a sledgehammer, maybe Ill turn to the Apple support website".

Makes sence right?

Ok so I ask for help in a new thread, blah blah blah. Then fancy pants boy with no life (more posts on the Support site than even the Apple employees) comes on to help starting with...

"Another Microsoft "tax" - having to reformat the hard drive and/or re-installing Windows on a regular basis"

So I respond with "And please dont start with the PC MAC thing. Im angry enough." Just so he knew I wasnt in the mood to hear the usual, Mac is better... blah blah blah.

So this is his reply "I'll start with whatever I like thank you, and you need to be angry at that garbage."

If only technology was advanced enough, I want to reach through the screen and punch his little geeky head in!!!!

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate his help, which I have said twice now. BUT come on! There is a time and place, and its not when you are warned not to go there!

Only makes my hatred of all things Apple stronger! GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 07-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

This really isnt a thread to taunt or enrage Mac or PC people, its about not kicking a bloke when he is down!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 07-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

500 contacts plus?

That's even more than Heidi Fleiss.......
Old 07-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Hehe, much of them are local youth organisations and their employees plus contacts for the youth work I do. So losing them would be like losing the ability to walk. That's why I was so angry, both with myself for making the mistake of not having more than one backup and for trusting my phone. The same phone that has more issues than all my previous phones ever put together.

But I'm pleased to say the guy from no idea where who I could have strangled at the time, helped me no end. Just wish he was a little more socially aware and can take a hint!

All is ok now!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 07-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Mac is better than PC....

j/k

Yeah there is always a kid who'd rather start a BS arguement then actually help.

How often do you sync your phone?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
zdcol71
zdcol71

Ah, Technology...
Who remembers the Teledex, wouldn't have this problem with one of these beauties!!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

This is the reason why I now have a $44 pre-paid Nokia.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

meh, Apple users are just like Holden drivers, They feel the need to sing its praises and bag everyones opinion and choice, just to make up for their own insecurities. I believe it makes them feel better within themsleves.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Well said !
There's no point in new tech if it doesn't actually improve the user experience.

Apple fan boy's are crazy.
Spend 5 minutes on youtube checking out these Mac fan boy's.
Funny and sad at the same time.

I'm partial and can see the merits and downsides to both systems.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Well said !
There's no point in new tech if it doesn't actually improve the user experience.

Apple fan boy's are crazy.
Spend 5 minutes on youtube checking out these Mac fan boy's.
Funny and sad at the same time.

I'm partial and can see the merits and downsides to both systems.
I only ever use my phone for SMS and the occasional phone call.

Makes no sense buying a state of the art phone....
Sure iPhones are fun, my missus has one. But it's useless really...Can't take a beating either.

My $44 Nokia would survive and apocalypse and it does everything I need it to do!

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
meh, Apple users are just like Holden drivers, They feel the need to sing its praises and bag everyones opinion and choice, just to make up for their own insecurities. I believe it makes them feel better within themsleves.
Riiiight......well done :
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Riiiight......well done :
Apple user are you?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I also find the Apple devotees a source of great mirth :-)
They like paying lots more $ for lot less performance and seem to love doing it, hilarious.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Five words: "Steve Jobs' Cult Of Personality".

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
Apple user are you?
Yeah....and?

I don't drive a Holden nor do I sing its praises from the roof top. It's just another product. I have no insecurities and I don't attempt to belittle others for their choices.

Unlike you.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I think I know the one your talking about. I had to buy one in Melbourne after I lost my original phone snowboarding. After a while of using it back at home it got a bit embarassing using it. People thought I was a cheapskate.

I never really understood the obsession with iphones though. They dont really do much else. Have a bunch of useless apps. Cant even bluetooth with other phones. Very fragile.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #17
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Yeah....and?

I don't drive a Holden nor do I sing its praises from the roof top. It's just another product. I have no insecurities and I don't attempt to belittle others for their choices.

Unlike you.

: My point proved.

BTW, I never said apple users drive holdens. I believe the word was LIKE.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
BOSHOG
avenge me

in my line of work, crawling under houses etc i need a phone to be disposable so i wont spend 2 weeks wage on it
Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
: My point proved.

BTW, I never said apple users drive holdens. I believe the word was LIKE.
Don't be comparing me to a dirty Holden driver.

I bathe
Old 07-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Should should be able to rescue your contacts through Outlook. Outlook Im pretty sure keeps temporary back up files.

Im not an Apple fanboy, and ive never had an Apple product before, but I actually quite like my Iphone.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 07-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
After a while of using it back at home it got a bit embarassing using it. People thought I was a cheapskate.
Isn't it funny how people will judge you and make assumptions based on what mobile phone you have.

People make comments about my cheapy phone and I tell them straight up.

I guess it doesn't help that getting a top of the line phone is way too easy these days.

I had a bloke at the optus shop pulling out all the stops to try get me on a 24 month plan with a 'free' iPhone. Walked out, went to JB Hi Fi and spotted the $44 gem.

Here she is in all her glory: https://www.nokia.com.au/find-produc...nes/nokia-1209

Anyway, back on topic!

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Lets keep this on topic and compare apples with apples please.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Should should be able to rescue your contacts through Outlook. Outlook Im pretty sure keeps temporary back up files.

Im not an Apple fanboy, and ive never had an Apple product before, but I actually quite like my Iphone.
If you sync your contacts with outlook it will keep them permanently. Makes email so much easier.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
I never really understood the obsession with iphones though. They dont really do much else. Have a bunch of useless apps. Cant even bluetooth with other phones. Very fragile.
That was probably why I couldn't send my ringtone to my sister yesterday. For their $700 they ask for the iPhone I'd expect it to have a better camera than 3mp and be able to bluetooth to other phones, hell I'd want it to wipe my *** for me too.

My phones have consisted of all of Dad's ex phones, which are old because he barely ever upgrades. Except recently when I splashed out on a $150 Nokia 6120 classic, I didn't have a phone for about 9 months after I accidentally smashed my old one at work, I had it in my pants pocket just in front of my knee and I knelt down to unplug a TV.....
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #25
zdcol71
zdcol71

Further to a previous post, just found this on a random site

"When you use a Rolodex or Teledex you look at the number while you dial. Do that enough and you’ll commit that number to memory, without even realising it. Use your phone contact list or your speed dial and you miss that step. You may never memorise numbers outside those you absolutely have to.

Some research shows that our ability to remember things is decreasing as technology increasingly takes on that role. With the vast increase in information available technology provides the means for us to sort and categorise the data and enables us to recall (electronically) more than ever before. But then we lose our mobile, or our hard disk crashes and we feel empty, like our very life has been taken away. Perhaps we wouldn’t feel that way if we were sure that the computer that stays with us 24/7, our brain, was able to recall everything that was important to us.

In my younger years I could remember the phone numbers of all my close friends, my extended family, the school, the doctor, the dentist, the beautician, the pizza joint in Nedlands and later the work numbers of many of my colleagues. Today I couldn’t tell you my own work number."

I’m off to memorise a few phone numbers. How many can you remember?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #26
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Don't be comparing me to a dirty Holden driver.

I bathe
yeah, I suppose you got me there, it would be pretty low act to do that.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #27
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Wow this thread took off! I was really only having a Rant! Glad it hasn't turned into a Mac vs PC thing either.

Yeah the reason I lost my contact was because I went to backup. I'll need to try backing up again, just a little gun shy at present!

And that's an interesting article about modern tech and memory! Makes alot of sence. But I doubt highly that I could remember even 1/3rd of my contacts.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 07-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #28
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
in my line of work, crawling under houses etc i need a phone to be disposable so i wont spend 2 weeks wage on it

Same here. Painter....touch screen phones are a complete waste for me. I've had alot of them, I like my top of the range phones but touch screen phones are a no go zone for me, mind you i am currently trying out an Aino from SE, not bad and its not a full touch screen phone.

You use what you need for the job you have. When it comes to mobile devices, coverage is first priority. everything else is secondary....and well....there bloody phones, There not computers, they all lag...have amazing hard drives but cant store more than 3gb without lagging the hell out of the things. Ever tried browsing through photos when there all 8mp? my computer lags up loading them, every phone I've had almost comes to a stand still loading them, that includes windows mobile devices, the top N series phones, Iphones, SE's top of the line, their all bloody hopeless.

As for PC v Mac...there's no comparison, I love my PC and mac people love their macs. Argument over.....now go argue about why blue is a better colour to green :

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #29
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So whats the general feel. ? Granny Smith or Johnathons are the best Apples to go for then

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as it is expressed in a reasonable manner.

Why do so many people have to prove their car/pc/phone of choice is the best available to Humanity.
Closed Thread