Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Default AU headlights

Hay Guys, I was wondering if anyone knows if we will ever see another aftermarket version of the AU headlights. I know its been asked a few times but anyone know? The current ones aftermarket ones SUCK and make the car look terrible, Im sure plent of people agree. The least they could do is release them in black chrome.

Im thinking if you took out the bezzle on your current au headlight and got it done in carbonfibre it might look alot better then been painted black? Anyone go any suggestions. Hopefully there will be better aftermarket ones but I wonder if a company will take it on considering how bad the current ones are selling.
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon those aftermarket ones look shit, too much chrome. I think if they were available unassembled it would be great, because then you could just spray the bezel body colour. I'd like to get the bezel of the stock lights sprayed regency but i think it wold be too difficult and too expensive, i'm also getting the grille sprayed regency so i think it would be too much red
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Well I like mine and they go well with the Fairmont with the chrome grille and bonnet mould on a white car.

Darker cars I tend to agree with you would look better painted.

They can be painted its just a bastard to remove the lenses.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Mine are up here in the gallery

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...cat=500&page=1
Old 26-05-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

They dont look too bad on white but I still prefer the AU ones. I reckon painted black they would look way better, but I don't feel like buying them then painting them black to find they dont look that good.

Maybe someone could photoshop it?
Old 26-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Thanks mate "not too bad"

Well that was a couple hundred down the drain for me then.

I guess I am too much of a chrome and woodgrain car sort of guy?
Old 26-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon they look crazy!!!
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 12:41 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sorry jonbays, but your lights don't tickle my fancy at all (hell, now I sound like Bucky!). But it's your car so who cares what i think? However - if the bezel was black, then we're talking. Here's a pic of the wagon's custom grille and black bezzled lights (method for how to do this is on AUfalcon . com):

And on the old meteorite forte:
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 27-05-2005 at 11:07 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Do you reckon it would look better in carbonfibre then painted black? Im a bit concerned about the cost of it though - I don't want actual carbonfibre just the look.
Old 27-05-2005, 11:15 AM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Thats cool JC. I actually like the painted bezel look on darker cars like yours but for me in white with the fairmont chrome grille surround and bonnet mould the chrome bezels seem OK.
Old 27-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
T-rent
T-Rent-AU2

Well sorry to be a stirrer but I think they all look second rate to the originals. The Ideal aftermarket headlight for an AU falcon would be the one on the Coupe 300+.

I have the AU1/AU2 headlights (AU2 forte) and instead of going the aftermarket ones have contemplated the AU3 lights with the darker tinge. But other than that I reckon they are all just change for the sake of change. Im sick and tired of companies doing lights for cars like the integra (How many were sold in Australia?) when there has to be hundreds of thousands of AU's out there. The 300+ Headlights Would Make any AU look awsome yet they still brush us off.... (end rant)

And JCXR.... How did you get those T-series badges? Dieing for some (would cut off left arm), Would finish off the bonnet nicley...

P-plater
T-rent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 11:10 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Do you mean the T-series badge on the grey car? I got it from a mate in the car club. He used to work for Ford, I think. I know you can't get one without a T-series VIN normally.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #13
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I was thinking of getting a set of mazda 3 headlights (with the projectors) and making them into the au lights to look like the coupe. The only problem is I reckon i would be too hard and aiming and wiring could be an issue. Getting it to look professional would be hard and the backing is what i think the hardest part of all would be. I know it wouldn't be road worthy I want to give it a shot but don't have the money at the moment and just not sure how hard it would be to take on.

I know iv seen the ea with ba lights on here but I think that is a much easier job then this would be :(

Last edited by Duffman; 28-05-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 28-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

T-rent, so very true. Do we know who actually make those lights for the 300+?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
T-rent
T-Rent-AU2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Do you mean the T-series badge on the grey car? I got it from a mate in the car club. He used to work for Ford, I think. I know you can't get one without a T-series VIN normally.
Oh that sucks.... No wonder it wouldnt come up in the parts database. T series interior badges came up though...

Guess Ill have to continue my pointless search of the internet once more. I bet they will be popular if they were to pop up on ebay.

P-plater
Old 28-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #16
T-rent
T-Rent-AU2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkau
I was thinking of getting a set of mazda 3 headlights (with the projectors) and making them into the au lights to look like the coupe.
Yeah thats good thinking... But I think the better alternative would be to get something bigger and work our way down. Not many projector headlamps out there bigger than the AU however :(

Im sure if we could track down the supplier of those headlamps, they could shed some light on if/when they are releasing something similar. Ill have a big mega net surf and see if I can come up with some answers....

P-plater
Old 28-05-2005, 02:55 PM   #17
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Many people on the forums have tried emaling/calling the guys at AEC about those lights but they wont reply or wont help.
http://www.advancedengine.com/ is their address but I wouldn't even bother trying with them.

is the only big set I can find that would be possible but they are $500 for 2 not something you want to cut up.

I wonder if its possible to find a place that often has smashed headlights like some sort of car repair place? Maybe pickup some projectors there for nothing and get cracking on something.
Old 21-10-2005, 01:31 AM   #18
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

Painting the inside of the healights is easy!! you just have to know how to remove the parts to get to them and have tome time.. and be very careful with the indicator lense..

i have done 6 intotall.. black and one set red..

if anyone needs a hand let me know!! cheers

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
Many people on the forums have tried emaling/calling the guys at AEC about those lights but they wont reply or wont help.
http://www.advancedengine.com/ is their address but I wouldn't even bother trying with them.

is the only big set I can find that would be possible but they are $500 for 2 not something you want to cut up.

I wonder if its possible to find a place that often has smashed headlights like some sort of car repair place? Maybe pickup some projectors there for nothing and get cracking on something.
Duffman ... for a cheaper upgrade ... get the headlights imported from the US with the HID ballasts abd globes and wiring harness with the proper Bi-Xenon (hi/low beam) projectors .... there are different types of projectors out there ... but the ones for HID to get the correct beam pattern you will need HID Projectors (Ie: BMW/Honda/Audi).

There is a 20+ page thread on www.fordmods.com about the ins and out of HID systems ... what is needed .. and very technical information on there.

I have the same headlights as Jonbays in my ute ... and I have an aftermarket HID kit in at the moment ... bu the halogen reflectors can't control the beam pattern properly (still much better than halogen though) ... but my next project is pulling apart my headlights and retrofitting the HID projectors and making them adjustable using the factory adjustments)

Here's a few pics

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 11:26 AM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It will be difficult getting any other headlight to fit just like the AU ... you will need to custom make your on projector headlights using the AU casing ... the take the lense off you put your headlights in the oven for about 10 minutes and the glue goes gooey and you can take the entire lense off.

Some cutting/drilling will need to be involved ... don't worry about the internal reflector as you won't be needing it anymore ... and drill a hole the same size as the projector housing so you can mount it in there.

I am not going to be doing it though ... a mate of mine will be (as he has done this sort of thing before for an E-series headlight and other models as well.

Will be posting pics later on when I have finished the project.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #21
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

I like your little chrome strip covering the number plate from the cameras Mechan1k!!!

Does it help?

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #22
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default In black?

This is quick and rough photo chop with black instead of chrome

Uncle_Ken:
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #23
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those lights have too many cicles.. i think the stockers with black bezels still take the cake
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 09:48 PM   #24
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
those lights have too many cicles.. i think the stockers with black bezels still take the cake
Yeah, you could be right. It was hard to tell from the orginal image.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #25
romaniac
holla at cha boy

speaking of lights, does anyone know what size the fog lights are that fit into the front bar of the ts50 kit? Are they 7inch? And would they be using H1 globes?
romaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post