Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Heroes

The word hero is used a lot these days, anyone who is good at sport is called a hero, anyone who does a good deed is called a hero.

The word is over used and I think has lost a lot of its true meaning, but I believe that the volunteer fire fighters are true heroes.

When others are packing their cars and heading away from danger, the volunteer fire fighter is also packing their car, but they are heading towards the danger.

When others are running from flames, they are running towards the flame.

When others are collecting their family, these volunteers are leaving their families.

They can be the first on the scene at some horrific accidents to face sights that would make most of us sick, but they are there to the end and left to clean up the mess.

They will work for days, with very little rest and when they do rest, they will probably be sleeping on the ground rather than the comfort of their safe bed.

Sure there are professions that do similar risk associated jobs, but they also get paid to do it. These volunteers are not paid, they are normal working people like you and me, they have normal jobs, they have normal families.

Watching the bush fire telecast over the week end, they interviewed some fire fighters, some have left their houses to protect others and have lost their own house due to the fire, there was even 1 story of a fire fighter who lost his own wife and child, while protecting others.

These guys/girls are heroes, not because they can hit or kick a ball better than you and me, because they put their own safety at risk to protect you and me.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Very well said. There is no such thing as a sporting hero as far as I am concerned.

These guys and gals are the real heroes.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to true

the guys & girls fighting these fires are the true heros

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

very well done and said ! they are the heros of this country and they are going victoria proud
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow im not the only one who thinks this way,
Very well put, i get angry watching TV when they say Hero for doing a paid job with little or no risk to themselves,
the word Hero applies to someone who risks his or her life to do something that would scare most of us to a panic attack.
The guts of these people with flames roaring all around them and holding their ground is just amazing.
yes they are Heroes for sure
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hear, here.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

I dont think that could be put a better way mate well done.

After seeing all this and not being able to help I sent my application away last night to become a volunteer just so next time I can help out

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember when my brother came home from the Ash Wednesday fires as a volunteer and when talking to my dad he broke down and wept and was very embarrassed about it as he thought we must think he's weak,exactly the opposite was the case, i was very proud of him.he said at the time there was dead animals everywhere around him and even two days after the fire was out he would stand on the ground and the roots would hiss and burn underground from the air pressure as he stepped .
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

These same people will be forgotten in a few weeks and the like to Stephanie Rice, Ricky Ponting, and Willie Mason will be back in the limelight, thanks to the media.

Still the Joe Blogs, Gary Smith's, and Jeff Browns don't need to be placed on a pedestal. It's about being a part of the community and helping other people.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

A hero to me is someone who puts the lives of others ahead of their own and seeks no reward for it.

Someone who thru their life endangering actions, inspires others to become better people from the heart as well as deed.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so true I has always annoyed me that a milionaire who is doing his job on the sporting field is called a hero . a true hero risks his / her own life with no thought of personal gain

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Very well said. There is no such thing as a sporting hero as far as I am concerned.

These guys and gals are the real heroes.
+1 the whole "sporting hero" thing is a complete pile of sh1te.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Hero and Legend used far too much for me but modern speak seems to justify the butchering of the english language.
As with all the above posts these everyday volunteers are Heroes that in time the Legend will be told !!
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

Quote:
Watching the bush fire telecast over the week end, they interviewed some fire fighters, some have left their houses to protect others and have lost their own house due to the fire, there was even 1 story of a fire fighter who lost his own wife and child, while protecting others.
Damn that would be so hard for that man, i don't know if i could risk that sheesh.
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
escapin

i believe a hero is just a regular guy/girl who does something out of the ordinary to help some one else they are not paid to do it they do not do it for recognition they do it because they value life and are just good people.

i agree really gets my goat when they put sporting people up as heros, im mean so what they are paid to play and its not like they are saving or doing good for any one else except for them selves.
escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Rob
Living the dream

Hero and tragedy are two of the most chronically overused words in today's media - everything is a bloody tragedy now. If Stephanie Rice stubbed her toe the media would need a day in mourning.

However, both hero and tragedy apply in relation to the bushfires.

Makes me seriously consider volunteering for the CFA, I feel useless and unable to help at the moment.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Hero and tragedy are two of the most chronically overused words in today's media - everything is a bloody tragedy now. If Stephanie Rice stubbed her toe the media would need a day in mourning.

However, both hero and tragedy apply in relation to the bushfires.

Makes me seriously consider volunteering for the CFA, I feel useless and unable to help at the moment.
Don't forget "crisis" as well.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Hero = CFA Volunteers fighting these horrendous fires

AND

SAS Trooper Mark Donaldson VC and brothers in arms

Sporting Heros ? No such thing..............
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Well said Mate.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not just the volunteer FFs that are the heroes and legends, its also the paid firefighters, police and paramedics, just because they are paid doesn't make them any less of a hero, they still risk their life for the good of others who more often than not aren't all that thankful.

Not taking anything away from the volunteers, they do an amazing job and deserve every bit of congratulations they recieve.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was not happy with the way Jason McCartney was martyred after Bali.
Yes, he was a hero, but there were many other people (including Australians) who did a lot of good work (who were NOT recognised), but Jason already had a profile, so was automatically lifted above the rest. I am glad that in this case, nobody has been put ahead of anybody, and I hope that everybody is recognised for the efforts that were put in.

I agree though, that the anonymous firemen who we'll never meet, never talk to and never see are the greatest heroes we have, considering they earn no money for their services whatsoever.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #22
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

It is a pet hate ..... Hero grams/SMS or what ever they called them at the Olympics WTF ..... save it and send one to the real heros and times like this weekend shows how many there really are. Good post!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #23
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a load of crap how people who get payed in the hundreds of thousands to play sport are called "Heroes". Heroes are people like the CFA, your random hero on the street who steps in and saves someone, soldiers etc. A few Aussies win a gold medal and they become the ultimate Aussie hero, when John Doe saves someones life, gets barely a mention or recognition when there is more "urgent matters" like Paris Hilton who is buying dresses at Myer or some crap like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

in my view a hero is someone who inspires others and puts enjoyment, safety, comfort etc. into those others lives. it doesn't matter whether they are in sport, on a stage or doing a terrible and dangerous job. if some call sporting people/celebrities heroes, then that is great

however there are many, many unsung heroes in this world and unfortunately it takes a tradegy of this magnitude to notice them. i believe all emergency service members are heroes, but of course the volunteers deserve a very special mention
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #25
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Volanteer fire fighters are not heros, and you'll be hard pressed finding one that says they are.

We're just normal guys & girls who have the training and equipment to get a job done, when its done were just mum's & dad's brothers & sisters, Gradnmas and grand pa's, carpenters Mechanics, dodcters lawyers no different to any one else.

If you join the RFS / CFA SES / VRA to be a hero youve joined the wrong organsieation

I do it becasue I love doing it and every one of the members of my brigade do it for the same reason.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #26
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

That's the exact reason they are heroes, putting themselves at risk in these type of situations, but not doing it for the glory or the accolades.

Yeti, you may not realise it, but are a hero im somebody's eye as are all your fellow volunteers.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #27
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

I was in rural fire and apex ,situations changed at the moment but its a bit of self satisfaction and worth for me to help others ,all fires are serious but when your job hands you a case like this you cant help but going above and beyond the required dutie ,they will be angry for the parts they lost and not expecting anything for what they saved as thats what they do .but others will tell you your a hero ,they wont think or want that ,but we should all be proud of them for what they do ,cheers to all the services you know who you are .
Old 14-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #28
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Hero = CFA Volunteers fighting these horrendous fires

AND

SAS Trooper Mark Donaldson VC and brothers in arms

Sporting Heros ? No such thing..............
too true. anyone who puts their life or well being on the line for the sake of others are true heroes.
the only 'sporting hero' i can remember is wasim akram who snatched a kid out from in front of a speeding taxi outside the gabba a few years ago. cheers.
Old 15-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #29
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
That's the exact reason they are heroes, putting themselves at risk in these type of situations, but not doing it for the glory or the accolades.

Yeti, you may not realise it, but are a hero im somebody's eye as are all your fellow volunteers.
that is very true - i am the odd one out here, i still believe that sporting stars, entertainers, political people, medical practioners etc can be heroes but

i would generally put the police, ambos and the normal fire brigade a step above virtually everyone else. unfortunately due to ours and the media's fixation with famous people, they never get recognised

the volunteers though are probably more special, because not only do they risk their lives and limbs for no payment, they also have to look any prospective employer in the eye and ask for special consideration when needed and take annual leave to help others, not when they want a break. basically their lives are compromised to help others. they are truly great people
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #30
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

The last line sums it all up for me: They are truly great people.

The world would be a much better place if people cared more about emulating these people instead of the Paris Hilton filth that permeate modern media.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post