Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
fsy7788
Starter Motor

Unhappy Demo Car???

I went to Ford dealer this week and there are few demo Territory (They call demo) just under 10k on the clock. The sale told me that demo car used by ford to drive around factory. I know he maybe do a joke, but I am wondering what is the actual purpose for those demo car? I don't think that dealer used those car as demo because there are five cars.

Does anybody know about this? Is this true that ford used those car for some testing????

fsy7788 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Demo Car???

Maybe they towed a trailer full of ice to the top of a mountain? Just saying!
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon they were "executive" vehicles

10,000 kilometres, to me, is not demo

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree, 10000 is a used car.
Quite a number of years ago when I was selling newies, demos weren't allowed to go past 4000 kms. The boss preferred to get rid of them around the 2000 mark.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you mean 10km or 10,000km?

The former would make it a showroom demo, which is normally done so they can get a factory rebate for having registered a demo, allowing them to sell it cheaper to you (this is usually a very good option as you get a brand new car at a deeper discount than would be possible for an unregisterd car)

If it is the later, then as per above, it's a high km demo, most are grounded (they stop driving them) at just under 5,000km
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's 10,000km, I would steer well clear. I bought my last car as a demo with just under 3,000kms on it. Never again. Those kms are generally very hard test drive kms.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
FacultY

10,000kms is hardly a demo. Hope they offered a substantial discount.
Old 17-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
fsy7788
Starter Motor

Yes. I think so.
Now I have more confidence to cut their price more. haha. thanks all.
fsy7788 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf

There are legal definitions for new, used and demo which have nothing to do with how many kilometres are on the odometer.

For example, if someone wins a FPV in a raffle and sells it to you even before it was ever driven the car is, by law, second hand.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well....as i stated "to ME" it is not a demo nor new......it is very much "second hand"

my wife's car had 15 kilometres on it when she bought it.....my Magna had 12 when i bought it......that is not thousands of kilometres

THAT is acceptable as new......10,000 kilometres is very second hand and i would expect to pay the second hand price for it

if the price did not reflect second hand then I wouldn't buy it

god only knows what the history of the vehicle is or the flogging it's had after all it's not their car

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Mine was an ex demo and had just over 6000kms on it. But it was also a reasonable second hand sort of price having dropped 10G off RRP and being less than a year old.

10000kms is a bit much for what I would consider a demo but I have seen demos with higher kays advertised. I would also guess that it is probably "executive driven".

Like flappist said, its all down to what the laws actually say.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
If it's 10,000km, I would steer well clear. I bought my last car as a demo with just under 3,000kms on it. Never again. Those kms are generally very hard test drive kms.
What he said. I've only ever bought two demo's and been very unhappy on both occasions. 10,000 km's is second hand and those km's will be extremly hard driven.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
What he said. I've only ever bought two demo's and been very unhappy on both occasions. 10,000 km's is second hand and those km's will be extremly hard driven.
Its still luck of the draw, just like a used or even a new car.

Like I said in my previous post, mine was an ex demo and so far has given me 130000kms and 6 years of trouble free motoring. Only issues I've had are the shockwave paint which was remedied under warranty, a door lock actuator failed this year, and the damned B series (and FG by the sounds of the FG section) broken seat base syndrome. No major mechanical or electrical thing has gone wrong (watch my car explode or something tonight on the way home for typing this )

Just approach it like you would any other used car purchase and thoroughly check and test drive it before signing the dotted line.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf

agree - our rav4 was supposed to be an executive driven vehicle. it was 11 months old, had around 11,000km and was only ever owned by toyota
we got the balance of the new car warranty and as far as insurance went, we would have got a brand new one if it was written off, because we were the first registered owners

we have had no problems with it so far. it has done around 35,000km and is almost 3 years old. like others have suggested, it is the luck of the draw with new or used cars. at least being a demo, you can get a real idea on it's condition because it has been driven - not just reversed off a truck and detailed
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We bought our G6E with 8km on the clock. The car we actually test drove was an XR6 with nearly 5000km on it which they were still calling "a new car"...sorry buddy, that's second hand...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to get a better price. Go to the dealer, advise you are ready to buy. Ask what the best price is. Walk away say you will thinkk about it. Go on sales sites over night find a simialr one but better price. Go to dealer next day. Advised of car for sale, even take print out. Advised to make price cheaper or you will go buy. Even if interstate advise you are willing to travel. If no deal to be had walk away. Start search again.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Escaping
Starter Motor

When I was looking at various cars last year, I came across a Renault Kolios. It was a decent enough car, but had ~14K Kms on the clock but was being sold as a demo!!! The price was reduce only by a couple of grand from the brand new version. Apparently the car was being used by the dealership as the service department's courtesy car. I told the salesman that anything above ~4000kms cannot be a demo (I remember reading that somewhere), but he said no, its still a demo because it was registered to the dealership only. He was willing to give me extended warranty, but wouldn't budge on the price. I considered it a 2nd hand car, so I walked away.

10000kms is not a demo, it's second hand. If that dealer isn't going to sell it to you at a second hand price, walk away. Also, those 10K Kms would probably have been driven quite hard. We tend to treat our own cars better than those of a company. In that sense, he should sell you that car for cheaper than a equivalent privately owned 2nd had car.
Escaping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Demo can be good buying. I bought an immaculate XR8 with demo kays. Got it for a steal, salary packaged it(FBT free), sold it for a good price 3 yrs later. After crunching all the numbers I made money for owning the car.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post