Old 14-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Default FPV boss says future is secure

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2012...s-secure-31861

Quote:
No end in sight for local performance brand, whatever befalls Falcon

Ford Performance Vehicles will continue on beyond 2016 whether the Falcon exists or not.

That’s the commitment from the company’s managing director Bryan Mears, made at today’s launch of the new FPV GT RSPEC.

But he also declared there was no prospect of a higher-powered supercharged V8, rumoured to be codenamed Tempest appearing at the Sydney motor show in October.

He also downplayed any prospect of a return of the iconic GTHO, refused to even discuss the possible return of the XR8 badge and ruled out the development of an FPV-badged Falcon Ecoboost or any small cars including the Focus.

Instead it seems that FPV is locked into a roll-out of moderate upgrades. For instance, it seems certain that the RSPEC chassis upgrades will eventually sit under all Miami supercharged V8s, most likely when the 2013 model year arrives.

That in turn sets FPV up for an engine performance upgrade down the track. But don’t expect to see it at the Sydney show.

“That’s definitely not going to happen,” Mears said when asked about Tempest. “I would love to see it, but if it happens I will drop my dacks and walk backwards up Collins Street in winter.”

On GTHO he said: “The GTHO is a long way down the track ... from reaching fruition.

“The GT RSPEC is our GTHO, the only thing missing from it is the GTHO badge and a $100,000 price tag.”

Mears, who recently oversaw a restructure of FPV that culled senior staff including general manager Rod Barrett, has now assumed day-to-day running of the business, in addition to his role as Prodrive Asia-Pacific managing director.

The questioning of FPV’s future spins logically from the doubts over the fate of Falcon and local manufacturing by the blue oval.

At the moment guarantees of Falcon survival extend only as far as the scheduled end of production of the current FG range in 2016.

FPV currently builds only turbo-six and supercharged V8 versions of the rear-wheel drive Falcon sedan and utility. If they go out of production, what replaces them?

Would an all-wheel drive version of the Taurus, which is mooted to replace Falcon, fit with the brand philosophically?

“We have a huge amount of money invested in FPV and that symbol (FPV badge) on the back of that car,” Mears said. “Not many people would go to the extent of tearing that value up and throwing it away based on a philosophical position.

“Are all of our cars in the future going to be imported? I don’t know that. I don’t know what they (Ford) are doing, but I guarantee you, if you have got millions tied up in that brand you’ve got to ask that question, do you tear it up?

“Of course you don’t.”

But Mears would not be drawn on just where FPV might sit in what is shaping up as a radically altered automotive landscape.

“I can’t talk for Ford, what they are doing and contemplating is a matter for themselves. What I am doing and contemplating is protecting that brand (FPV).”

Published : Tuesday, 14 August 2012
Source: carsales.com.au

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FPV boss says future is secure

"but if it happens I will drop my dacks and walk backwards up Collins Street in winter"

lol @ MD
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
"but if it happens I will drop my dacks and walk backwards up Collins Street in winter"

lol @ MD
Well with winter over in 17 days - maybe they're planning on it next year?
Old 14-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And this thread title is how it should read on V8Central too !
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope so FPV does a wonderful job with their cars.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
“The GT RSPEC is our GTHO, the only thing missing from it is the GTHO badge and a $100,000 price tag.”
quoted for truth...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll also strip & walk rapidly backwards if this appears in Friday's herald Sun carsguide -the positive vibe from FPV and all.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
quoted for truth...
Exactly, that should become the phrase to spread amongst the community...
Quote:
This car is totally deserving of the name, the sooner FPV does it and gets the monkey off their back the better.
They've got four years to deliver four versions and start a whole new dynasty of heritage and legend.
The only down side is that a few $700,000 XYs come plummeting back to earth..

Last edited by jpd80; 15-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
How do you figure that out...??

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Exactly, that should become the phrase to spread amongst the community...

This car is totally deserving of the name, the sooner FPV does it and gets the monkey off their back the better.
They've got four years to deliver four versions and start a whole new dynasty of heritage and legend.
The value of XYs will not be affected by any new release GTHO at all.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
How do you figure that out...??
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
The value of XYs will not be affected by any new release GTHO at all.
Wanna bet....
XY GTHOs are the price they are because of exclusivity, rare and the last of their kind.
The mystique built up over the Phase III being the last true GTHO ever would become less
if it has it shares the spotlight with a new car..a worthy modern successor that is.

Hard to describe but a bit like early Brock Commodores versus the latest HSV hero cars.
Old 15-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FPV have a look at the Chrysler SRT8, its specifications and value for money.Compared to FPV products and significantly upgrade and revise costs downwards...
Old 15-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
FPV have a look at the Chrysler SRT8, its specifications and value for money.Compared to FPV products and significantly upgrade and revise costs downwards...
That's only before you add LCT and on roads...
Recent GT 335s were something like $68K drive away...

Heated and cooled seats are nice but are they deal breakers.

My criticism of locals is limited to,
Ford and Holden, also by inference FPV and HSV need better leathers, interior packaging and feel.
Old 15-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Gadget **** is not the be all and end all for every new car buyer.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Wanna bet....
XY GTHOs are the price they are because of exclusivity, rare and the last of their kind.
The mystique built up over the Phase III being the last true GTHO ever would become less
if it has it shares the spotlight with a new car..a worthy modern successor that is.

Hard to describe but a bit like early Brock Commodores versus the latest HSV hero cars.
I respectively disagree. With the Holdens, you are comparing plastic with plastic.

Can't make those comparisons with a new car and a classic that has Bathurst heritage.
Old 15-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Wanna bet....

Yes I’ll take you up on that bet any day, how much....?

Anybody in the market for an XY GTHO would not be interested in an FPV GTHO as a substitute....

Anybody that walked up to the owner of a Genuine XY GTHO.....and tried to use the price of a new FPV GTHO as a bargaining tool....would get laughed out the door, period! even FPV GT's have made no downward impression on the value of original Falcon GT's, if anything they helped send the price up....

You are mistakenly trying to compare two completely different markets, vintage historic and the new car market.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Good to hear FPV are staying.
Don't care about a GTHO, would like to see them branch out a little.
Why not offer a Ranger? Something like the F150 Raptor but in a Ranger? Something that can be taken off road.
I would like to see them offer a more premium product for their range toppers (looking at you GT/F6-E) rather than just engine. People are shelling out a lot of $$, make them feel like they're getting value for it.

EDIT: Have to say I do like the look of that Taurus, a smaller grille and it would look very nice.

Last edited by Wretched; 15-08-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Wanna bet....

Strongly disagree with this.

1) XY GT HO's have experienced quite a decline in value over the passed 2 years anyway - just as the whole classic/muscle market has. They've been changing hands for mid $250k and cars advertised at $300k plus are not moving. This has NOTHING to do with any other models released (past/present/future).

2) A potential buyer of an XY GT HO is not necessarily looking for an FG GT HO. Two completely different cars, different budgets, different motives. They would be more likely to buy a XY GT (not HO) or an XW GT HO - if they're looking for an old car.

3) The main reason that the XY GT HO is more valuable than ANY other GT (or HO minus the XA GT HO) is the fact that it was a Bathurst Winner, and that it was driven and loved by one of the most popular ATCC drivers of the time - Alan Moffat.

4) As you said - it's the last 'True' GT HO and unless they're planning on changing the V8 Supercar format to include the FG GT as a modified factory car (including Homologation etc) then any future car will be a GT HO by name only, and not by DNA.

I could go on - but I feel i've made my point.
Old 15-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
Rodge
Banned

This is good news.... FPV continuing and all. Those hungry for big helpings of the very latest technology in their FPV will probably have to wait for the FPV SHO Taurus in 2017 but it's kind of nice to know FPV are planning to be around for the long haul Gives me some much needed confidence in the future of the brand.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Chopped
as in chopped

40 years on and look at the passion the GTHO badge still attracts....
Old 15-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
40 years on and look at the passion the GTHO badge still attracts....
not by all though. if you take away the ridiculous hype and hysteria connected with it, the car is junk by todays standard. it doesn't handle, it doesn't go that well, it doesn't stop, it doesn't turn etc etc.

if i had a choice, i would buy modern every time. this is by no means putting down those who would rather old cars, but there is 2 sides to every story.

and getting back to the article, why is the taurus constantly connected to future speculation??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

and getting back to the article, why is the taurus constantly connected to future speculation??
thats what im frustrated by...

steering wheel is on the wrong side for starters, and nowhere does ford sell the taurus to suit right hand drive.

i think its far more likely we would continue to get an evolutionary falcon than a re jigged taurus.
in fact id be willing to bet money on the costs being less to keep falcon than completely re-engineer a left hand drive car.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #23
Chopped
as in chopped

I reckon the next gen Mondeo would most likely replace the falcon (if it needs replacing). Taurus may be too big for the current market.

Then again the Falcon badge could live on after 2016, I don't think any definite decision has been made yet. It's all just speculation and guessing.
Old 15-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped

Then again the Falcon badge could live on after 2016, I don't think any definite decision has been made yet. It's all just speculation and guessing.
That's right but it does keep the sheep amused... .
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not by all though. if you take away the ridiculous hype and hysteria connected with it, the car is junk by todays standard. it doesn't handle, it doesn't go that well, it doesn't stop, it doesn't turn etc etc.

if i had a choice, i would buy modern every time. this is by no means putting down those who would rather old cars, but there is 2 sides to every story.

Because certain parts of the media just can't let go of it..
Old 15-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Dang, that car looks good... What is it?
Could so easily be our next Falcon, looks great.

Edit: ok, I see that it's the Taurus. Nice.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #27
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
Dang, that car looks good... What is it?
Could so easily be our next Falcon, looks great.

Edit: ok, I see that it's the Taurus. Nice.
It doesn't look like it has the Taurus roof.
Old 16-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't like it actually, the Taurus looks like Fords version of a camry in my eyes. I dislike the Mondeo even more, those cheesy high brow tail lights look wrong IMO.

But I'm not who these cars are made for I suppose, I have no desire to drive a medium to large front wheel drive sedan (even though the taurus comes in AWD).

I really like the look of the current Falcon compared to these two. Which seems to put me in an ever decreasing group unfortunately.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #29
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
I don't like it actually, the Taurus looks like Fords version of a camry in my eyes. I dislike the Mondeo even more, those cheesy high brow tail lights look wrong IMO.

But I'm not who these cars are made for I suppose, I have no desire to drive a medium to large front wheel drive sedan (even though the taurus comes in AWD).

I really like the look of the current Falcon compared to these two. Which seems to put me in an ever decreasing group unfortunately.
I agree. The mid section of that Taurus is pure Camry. I like the look of our Falcon much better.

I also agree that the Mondeo is not the best looker either. It's not ugly by any means, something's just missing.
Old 16-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

some would call it junk.. those in the know would refer to it as character....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post