Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Used car prices

I like to watch what is going through the auctions and what they end up going for, and while the classics and rare stuff is still silly (should say sillier than usual), the 'regular' stuff in the last few weeks seems to be softening a little bit. Still going for more than what they were pre-Covid, but not much more and no where near as much as similar was going for over last 10 months.

I think auctions are the better gauge rather than looking at advertised values, as with auctions you get to see what the market is actually willing to pay (even if it does not reach reserve).
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
I like to watch what is going through the auctions and what they end up going for, and while the classics and rare stuff is still silly (should say sillier than usual), the 'regular' stuff in the last few weeks seems to be softening a little bit. Still going for more than what they were pre-Covid, but not much more and no where near as much as similar was going for over last 10 months.

I think auctions are the better gauge rather than looking at advertised values, as with auctions you get to see what the market is actually willing to pay (even if it does not reach reserve).
Interesting, I think auctions for "normal" cars are actually the opposite.

Add your auction tax, people putting in bids for mates, who even knows the auction is on etc and its far from real.

Would be good if there was a way to track actual sale prices like with property, most results are BS.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #3
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Interesting, I think auctions for "normal" cars are actually the opposite.

Add your auction tax, people putting in bids for mates, who even knows the auction is on etc and its far from real.

Would be good if there was a way to track actual sale prices like with property, most results are BS.
https://www.allbids.com.au/allbids-c...eria%5D=Closed

all bids keep closed auctions for a week so its good to view sold prices, there are some bargains there, but aussie cars are definitely up still
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
The problem is, people are seeing some of the crazy, low numbered HSV auction sale prices and thinking every Falcon / Commodore is now a pot of gold. Dealers are the biggest offenders, private sellers follow suit.

I feel people will get burnt while prices are inflated. Many are taking money out of super to buy these cars, or borrowing against newly found capital on their houses due to the property boom. Special 'numbered' models will always be in high demand. The average HSVs, FPVs / XRs, SSs are what's inflated IMO, unless it's super low km (near new). I don't think these cars will move much at all for many years now, even perhaps down a little. People need to consider what it actually costs to hold / store / maintain a car too.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 08:55 PM   #5
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54 View Post
The problem is, people are seeing some of the crazy, low numbered HSV auction sale prices and thinking every Falcon / Commodore is now a pot of gold. Dealers are the biggest offenders, private sellers follow suit.

I feel people will get burnt while prices are inflated. Many are taking money out of super to buy these cars, or borrowing against newly found capital on their houses due to the property boom. Special 'numbered' models will always be in high demand. The average HSVs, FPVs / XRs, SSs are what's inflated IMO, unless it's super low km (near new). I don't think these cars will move much at all for many years now, even perhaps down a little. People need to consider what it actually costs to hold / store / maintain a car too.

I know a bloke who paid 65k for one of those vf2 directors. He thinks it will be an earner. Won’t hear about storage costs and insurance and maintenance. It still has delivery kms.

At the end of the day it’s an auto bf Calais. Will be worth not much more than any other Calais in time

I also believe any of the Modern Australian special cars need to be manual to hold their value in time
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
I know a bloke who paid 65k for one of those vf2 directors. He thinks it will be an earner. Won’t hear about storage costs and insurance and maintenance. It still has delivery kms.

At the end of the day it’s an auto bf Calais. Will be worth not much more than any other Calais in time

I also believe any of the Modern Australian special cars need to be manual to hold their value in time
Agree with some points, but particularly on ongoing costs, people seem to happily ignore these, same principle for housing investments (not looking at insurance, rates, maintenance etc).

Then you factor in you would want to be running it around once a week to make sure things are lubed etc....id think you would have to hold something for 15+ years to see any return unless you got lucky (when buying near new).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Agree with some points, but particularly on ongoing costs, people seem to happily ignore these, same principle for housing investments (not looking at insurance, rates, maintenance etc).

Then you factor in you would want to be running it around once a week to make sure things are lubed etc....id think you would have to hold something for 15+ years to see any return unless you got lucky (when buying near new).
yer I hear you and this comes down to the have's and have not's.
Those who buy but are at their limits, and get shaky if there is a sudden increase in their living costs/a misfortune, you know that curve ball we all can't dodge, surgery/the kids or a large home reno/bathroom etcetc...
And for some, the general cost of rego/ctp/Insurance it just gets washed into the daily/annual costs of living.
I have 2 that I hardly use, 1 mostly never and Thankfully I can afford doing so.
I sure wouldn't be using Super to buy something or anything as such, for one that is madness and shows you have bugger all in the first place.
Good luck to them, hope it works out in the end but I feel thats a hopeful Fairytale in the future.

The pricing is covid madness, people are impatient, imagine what the pricing will drop in a couple more years or so.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

The pricing is covid madness, people are impatient, imagine what the pricing will drop in a couple more years or so.
Will it though? Possibly.

I don't think it's just covid.
I mean the cars we talking about are finished, so there's that also.

And seeing as generally falcons weren't as popular also.

Either or interesting times ahead.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Will it though? Possibly.

I don't think it's just covid.
I mean the cars we talking about are finished, so there's that also.

And seeing as generally falcons weren't as popular also.

Either or interesting times ahead.
yes agreed, could be or not.
Real Estate is an interesting one next to rising car values - What people are willing to pay and why ?

No OS travels - money saved per annun that used to burn.
Many Ex Pats have come home for safeties sake and job loss - buying home to live.
WFH - consultancy jobs, good pay.
The mention how many have pulled out Super $$$$.
Yes maybe the factory closures now have set in peoples minds is another small trigger.
I do think the way we have had to change our lives due to living through covid has contributed imo.
In the future values staying up and increasing or stabilise and drop ????
That is the crystal ball thought process - when and IF the Reserve Bank in the next 12mths and more decide there is an opportunity to increase Interest Rates will be the deal breaker.
In the meantime who ever sells and buys, enjoy I guess for tbh it defies logic in these strange times.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54 View Post

Whilst it's nothing special. I know I could sell my Ute for more than I paid for it.

Will I.

Most certainly not.
But your right, factor in rego, insurance etc im still behind
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post