Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Default Top Gear Reviews the Focus ST (XR5T)

Here's the video link: http://rapidshare.de/files/8935326/T...us_ST.wmv.html (32.5MB)

A great review by Jeremy, you'll be forgiven if you think your monitor is upside down however.

Includes review of Focus ST, a brief look over the Iosis and then the Stig takes the ST on the track.

I have a video of the Fiesta ST which I will put up later.

Abraxas

Dshibi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
tbearz

haha that episode was such a classic ROOONEY!!!
and how would it have been if they did call it the Asbo sounds tougher than Ford Focus Xr5 turbo
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
Talldude

you able to get the fiesta st review man?
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldude
you able to get the fiesta st review man?
Yep, here it is http://rapidshare.de/files/9629379/5...t_CZT.wmv.html

It's by 5th Gear with Tiff Needell, still a good review though. Pits the Fiesta against a Colt.

Abraxas
Dshibi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy

Is there some trick to get those files to download? I clicked on the link, selected the free download option, then a new page appears but no auto download or even an option to continue is evident???
Old 12-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn- read the FAQ and it must be a proxy server thing. It thinks I'm already downloading. :(
Old 24-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ok how the heck to I download that file(s)?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
whippet_zetec
Supes

when you click on the link it will wait about 20secs before it starts the download.
Old 25-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

and if it doesn't after 20 secs?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
Falcon Freak
Banned

Seppuku?

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ah dont toy with me...lol

I really want those files...and I am a little unsure how to use bit torent aswell.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #12
Falcon Freak
Banned

Relax mate - I am having the same trouble as you. If I don't get those files I'm gonna dance with my sword. :

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

That was great. Top gear put the car thru its paces. The car holds well and looks good. Not a fan of the smaller cars but that would be a great one to have a go on. Still would rather have a sierra.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

vztrt - how the heck did you get the files?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-01-2006, 09:17 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
vztrt - how the heck did you get the files?
Just clicked on the free button and typed in the letters it told me to type and the save as box came up.

You just have to make sure you type all the letters in or it goes to the next page and says there was an error. The letters are bunched together.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Guys, listen up and start biting bullets.

Download a Torrent program (a Peer to Peer file sharing program) such as the one I have http://www.utorrent.com/ (click on downloads)

Then download the file itself as posted up above. You can then open the torrent program and use the mini file you initially download (the ST one) to the use it as an address to locate the true file. So all the search sites do is download a link so to speak, you need the peer program to actually get access to the true file.

Easy as, sounded confusing for me too and I avoided it, but it's literally a piece of cake, even a Fiesta driver could do it...
Old 27-01-2006, 03:29 AM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I was just on the Top Gear website looking at the top 70 Stig times.... seems the ST didn't beat the old RS around the track. I thought the ST was quicker? Was i wrong?

But low and behold, the Clio Cup (next car) was a second quicker

FORD GT IN 8TH... Awesome!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I was just on the Top Gear website looking at the top 70 Stig times.... seems the ST didn't beat the old RS around the track. I thought the ST was quicker? Was i wrong?

But low and behold, the Clio Cup (next car) was a second quicker

FORD GT IN 8TH... Awesome!
The ST was tested on a very greasy track with appalling visibility (you could barely see the car through the fog). In fact, the Stig ran wide and onto the grass twice during the lap which would have cost a second or two also.

The ST is not designed to be a track racer anyway, more a comfortable, refined car that can still provide serious thrills when you put your foot into it. Anyway if you believe the Ford ‘marketing machine’, the ST has lapped the legendary Nurburgring (undoubtedly the worlds greatest test track) a full 10 seconds quicker than the old RS focus ever did. If there is even an ounce of truth is this claim, then you would have to consider the ST as a very serious performer indeed.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #19
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Adding to orsest170's post, if you watch the video of the episode, Jeremy Clarkson goes on to say that he doesn't doubt that on a dry track, it'd be a much quicker car than both the GTi and the VXR. I don't agree with their dodgy system of not giving all cars a dry track but whatever...
Old 30-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #20
whippet_zetec
Supes

track conditions in the clip were not the best agreed, give that ST a dry track to run a time and it would definitely run better....
Old 30-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Any chance of FPV doing a "Typhoon" on the Focus XR5???????? Flint keeps saying it's no just about Falcon.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #22
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Any chance of FPV doing a "Typhoon" on the Focus XR5???????? Flint keeps saying it's no just about Falcon.
Quite frankly I'd rather they didn't, I cant see they would have much to offer a Focus ST/XR5.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #23
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I agree, why would FPV have any reason to do more to a front wheel drive that already is at a pretty high level of power, much more and only a fool would drive one. It would need to go RWD or AWD to gain much more power and still be driveable. Ford Europe and more so ST would specifically test and build these things as well as Ford Aust builds Falcons and Territory with their vast experience. I for one wouldn't touch an FPV Focus, it would have go fast bits stuck all over it and would just scream "****er". I'd rather ST fiddle with my turbo.
Old 30-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #24
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I agree, why would FPV have any reason to do more to a front wheel drive that already is at a pretty high level of power, much more and only a fool would drive one. It would need to go RWD or AWD to gain much more power and still be driveable. Ford Europe and more so ST would specifically test and build these things as well as Ford Aust builds Falcons and Territory with their vast experience. I for one wouldn't touch an FPV Focus, it would have go fast bits stuck all over it and would just scream "****er". I'd rather ST fiddle with my turbo.
Ford of Europe should bite the bullet and just build a new RS with AWD... Volvo already have 220kw & AWD out of the 2.5...... Dont they?
then FPV could badge it a Focus F5 ;)
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #25
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

I agree that there is probably little to be gained by FPV tinkering with the engine and chassis (although another 10-15 kw wouldn't hurt). However, I'm not sure I agree that any cosmetic changes would "just scream ****er". Surely you don't think that when an F6 passes you? I personally think the front end on the Typhoon is absolutely sensational and prefer it over the GT (big call I know). The way they have drawn attention to the intercooler behind that awesome mesh grille, is spot on.

If FPV could do similar things with the the XR5, how could that possibly be a bad thing?
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #26
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Ford of Europe should bite the bullet and just build a new RS with AWD... Volvo already have 220kw & AWD out of the 2.5...... Dont they?
then FPV could badge it a Focus F5 ;)
The Volvo 220kW engine in the S60/V70R is a different unit to the 162kW T5 in the S40/V50.

Main difference is that the S40/V50's T5 is narrower and has a turbocharger integrated into the exhaust manifold. Any engine mods are chiefly limited by the amount of boost that can be squeezed out of the turbo.

Personally, unless they go the AWD route, I can't see a huge amount of value in FPV tinkering with the XR5.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #27
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
I agree that there is probably little to be gained by FPV tinkering with the engine and chassis (although another 10-15 kw wouldn't hurt). However, I'm not sure I agree that any cosmetic changes would "just scream ****er". Surely you don't think that when an F6 passes you? I personally think the front end on the Typhoon is absolutely sensational and prefer it over the GT (big call I know). The way they have drawn attention to the intercooler behind that awesome mesh grille, is spot on.

If FPV could do similar things with the the XR5, how could that possibly be a bad thing?
Simply because the Typhoon is built from scratch and designed into the car from day one... the Focus afterthought FPV job wouldn't be and they'd never get the cahnce or budget to do it justice with a full redesign of the bodykit for such a low volume car, it wouldn't make a skerrick oif business sense. Anything they did would be tack-on. That plus the fact that the XR5 Turbo already look like a BF Typhoon from the front...

They have the same inverted trapezoid cutout with similar shaped foglight modules.

I'm simply saying that the whole class of the ST is it's Euro nature. It has loud enough work already to be sporty but classy. The Typhoon also is classy without being over the top. There's nothing more they could do to make it stand out other than 19 inch rims (NO THANKS) and a bonnet scoop (GHEY). FPV have already stated they're not doing any rebadging of anything from overseas which is a stab at HSV's gay attempt to overcharge for the Astra VXR by branding it an HSV.
Old 30-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Zetec (Matt),

I don't think you should bag out the HSV brand. Holden will still bring out the Astra Turbo.... so the VXR is just a quicker version. And when you think about it... the VXR then becomes a HOLDEN SPECIAL vehicle. Branding it a HSV just shows they are performance focused (not a pun), and works well considering we ship over our Monaros (GTOs) and brand it a VXR.

I think it would work if FPV had a RS focus, however since the new model does not having a RS focus being planned, i guess FPV will just have to wait. Really, FPV - Ford Performance Vehicles - sounds like what a XR5T is to a Zetec... its the performance variant.

Just my opinion. I think it works well. I guess in reality they all want to be the performance king of their brand, just like M, and AMG have become for BMW and Merc, even though Carlsson and Alphine still mod them.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #29
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

MMMM. That got the natives restless.

Then if that's the case, FPV should just admit they're Falcon Performance Vehicles (yes yes...Territory coming). It's just they have been saying since inception that they are more than just about Falcons.

Interesting thought though: given Prodrives investment and Ford engineers growing international reputation, maybe FPV could develop a AWD RS version for international stage. Australia does have a rep for lower cost ingenious thinking
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Id almost rather a Oz spec RWD 2.3L focus.....................
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane