Old 11-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Oh your one of those buyers....
Oh so you are one of those sellers "I know what I have, so no offers"

Well it is my money and they should be happy as I'm probably offering them $5k more than the dealer would as a trade in.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post

Well it is my money and they should be happy as I'm probably offering them $5k more than the dealer would as a trade in.
Ahh no... I’m happy to negotiate. But if I were to get an offer like you suggested, the conversation would be over quickly and rudely.

Your $23k budget, means you should be looking at cars around $25k and less. No one in their right mind would drop nearly a third off their asking price just because you said it’s more than a dealer would pay them.

So yes, you are one of those buyers. One that thinks their money is worth so much more than everyone else’s.

Edit: I truly hope you do not go to look at and drive a car to then put in an offer like that, especially in this climate. Atleast give them the opportunity to reject it over the phone before wasting their time.

Last edited by fiestaz; 11-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
nstg8a

Quote:
Ahh no... I’m happy to negotiate. But if I were to get an offer like you suggested, the conversation would be over quickly and rudely.

Your $23k budget, means you should be looking at cars around $25k and less. No one in their right mind would drop nearly a third off their asking price just because you said it’s more than a dealer would pay them.

So yes, you are one of those buyers. One that thinks there money is worth so much more than everyone else’s.

Edit: I truly hope you do not go to look at and drive a car to then put in an offer like that, especially in this climate. Atleast give them the opportunity to reject it over the phone before wasting their time.

Plenty of sellers do take low offers like that.

You don’t get if you don’t ask

I’ve never understood why people get offended by a low offer.
You either accept it or don’t. Or continue negotiating.
But if someone acts like I just shagged his mum just because his feelings got hurt over a low offer then I’d probably walk away even if I really liked the car and was prepared to go higher. If they’re that sensitive then the deal is just gonna be a pain.

Plenty of other cars on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #4
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

But if someone acts like I just shagged his mum just because his feelings got hurt over a low offer then I’d probably walk away even if I really liked the car and was prepared to go higher. If they’re that sensitive then the deal is just gonna be a pain.

I've dealt with a few of these type when selling cars.. Had a bloke message me offering $19k on a car I had advertised for $30k (had Wifey's new car on order at the time and had been offered $26k trade in for context). I had a good laugh, told him thanks but no thanks and moved on... If a complete stranger wants to offer you insanely lowball money for your car its not a big deal... Just move on... People can get so touchy these days....

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

Depends what car,

Oh and colour , and kms , and unmodded

And which side of the country
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #6
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So yes, you are one of those buyers. One that thinks there money is worth so much more than everyone else’s.

No sane person pays $23k for a used car advertised at $25k.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good luck with that.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Playing the devil's advocate here but if you were selling a car for $30k would you take $23K?
Old 11-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #9
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Playing the devil's advocate here but if you were selling a car for $30k would you take $23K?
Depends on circumstances, years ago I was transferred overseas on short notice and the company was footing all my relocation expenses. I sold my car for way less than it was worth because I really didn't care and I just wanted it gone and I was reimbursed for the lease payout difference.

As someone said before. You don't know unless you ask. I'm not rude when I make offers, I just state upfront that I'm a serious buyer with cash and I can deal right away.

For what it's worth I buy houses the same way and in uncertain economic times buyers are king.
Old 13-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Depends on circumstances, years ago I was transferred overseas on short notice and the company was footing all my relocation expenses. I sold my car for way less than it was worth because I really didn't care and I just wanted it gone and I was reimbursed for the lease payout difference.

As someone said before. You don't know unless you ask. I'm not rude when I make offers, I just state upfront that I'm a serious buyer with cash and I can deal right away.

For what it's worth I buy houses the same way and in uncertain economic times buyers are king.
Never quite got the "ive got cash" thing,spent 5 years of my life working for a Toyota dealership and another two at a Ford outfit and did hear that very thing on numerous occasions though never did work out what exactly i was supposed to do upon hearing it wasnt going to change a thing so "i havent got enough cash" a far more suitable comment followed by a walk to the finance dept ive heard the same "ive got cash" comment when selling my own cars over the years and again never worked out wtf i was supposed to do upon hearing it possibly along the way ive missed something but ive yet to accept anything else as payment for anything.
Old 13-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Never quite got the "ive got cash" thing,spent 5 years of my life working for a Toyota dealership and another two at a Ford outfit and did hear that very thing on numerous occasions though never did work out what exactly i was supposed to do upon hearing it wasnt going to change a thing so "i havent got enough cash" a far more suitable comment followed by a walk to the finance dept ive heard the same "ive got cash" comment when selling my own cars over the years and again never worked out wtf i was supposed to do upon hearing it possibly along the way ive missed something but ive yet to accept anything else as payment for anything.
Continuing on a thread about cash power , when they say "waving cash" as if it has hypnotic qualities. Cash used to mean a simple transaction but now it is a hassle - need to carry it ,count it , secure it , bank it , disinfect it ..
23k for 30k car if car is priced fairly and car is lovingly maintained won't fly . Maybe you get a clever seller that will drop price that much and car is cut and shut example or a person is in dire hardship . Do you really want that on your conscience ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #12
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Never quite got the "ive got cash" thing,spent 5 years of my life working for a Toyota dealership and another two at a Ford outfit and did hear that very thing on numerous occasions though never did work out what exactly i was supposed to do upon hearing it
Perhaps it was a signal to stop wasting the buyers time by trying to talk them into Factory Financing? If only there was a similar off switch for dealer extended warranty, paint protection, fabric/leather protection, etc.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Yes because I advertised it at $30K expecting low ballers and wanted $23K for it then I 'negotiated' down

Always advertise it for a couple thousand higher than you want because it gives you 'negotiation' room.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #14
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So yes, you are one of those buyers. One that thinks their money is worth so much more than everyone else’s.

Edit: I truly hope you do not go to look at and drive a car to then put in an offer like that, especially in this climate. At least give them the opportunity to reject it over the phone before wasting their time.
I agree, I recently had an "offer" like he was doing me a massive favour of $35K for my 2017 Lightening Blue Mustang, and he got very offended when I indicated it is only for sale to Grown-Ups, who know what it is worth.

These parasitic opportunists are so far off the mark they are worse than Time Wasters - as they try to exploit what could be people on hard times, or not commercially savvy.

I always "Qualify" or check on their financial expectations before showing them the car (I later sold it for over $50k)

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 22-12-2020 at 08:17 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2020, 12:45 AM   #15
UTXR8

Quote:

lowballing is completely different to 'no offers'....
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: