Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Should the AC/DC concerts be moved to a different venue to make way for the AFL?
No way!! The AFL can go and (insert expletive) themselves 44 84.62%
Don't care, as long as my ticket is still good. 2 3.85%
Yes, the AFL should have priority. 6 11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default AC/DC Melb concerts to be moved??

Looks like the AFL are having a hissy fit about the AC/DC clashing with the AFL pre season comp. Link here:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...5-7484,00.html

The AFL want it all their own way. Not happy : : Why can't they just play the pre season comp (which hardly anyone goes to) at Princes Park??

I vote the AFL can go jump!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

I'd assume the AFL want a ground with lights as these games are probably at night, but this should've been sorted before tickets went on sale.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Jim83
V8 Driver

AccaDacca are infinitely better then some dodgy pre season footy game! The AFL can kiss Angus' bum!
Jim83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Looks like the AFL are having a hissy fit about the AC/DC clashing with the AFL pre season comp. Link here:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...5-7484,00.html

The AFL want it all their own way. Not happy : : Why can't they just play the pre season comp (which hardly anyone goes to) at Princes Park??

I vote the AFL can go jump!!
Don't see how you could be peeved at the AFL as they have done nothing wrong. The AFL have a contract with ES that is long standing and binding. If you want to be peeved at someone blame ES, they're the ones that have double booked themselves.

I'd hardly call it a "hissy fit".
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ACDC > AFL That is all that needs to be said!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Don't see how you could be peeved at the AFL as they have done nothing wrong. The AFL have a contract with ES that is long standing and binding. If you want to be peeved at someone blame ES, they're the ones that have double booked themselves.

I'd hardly call it a "hissy fit".
Could it be that the AFL had not finalised their schedule when ES booked in the concerts?? Perhaps they had no indication that the AFL wanted those dates. In any case, I don't see why the AFL can't shift the affected games to Princes Park which should be able to accomodate the attendances.

People will have already lined up accommodation close to ES so I'd imagine they will not be impressed.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Could it be that the AFL had not finalised their schedule when ES booked in the concerts?? Perhaps they had no indication that the AFL wanted those dates. In any case, I don't see why the AFL can't shift the affected games to Princes Park which should be able to accomodate the attendances.

People will have already lined up accommodation close to ES so I'd imagine they will not be impressed.
No matter what the AFL have a contract that gives them priority scheduling over all others so they have every right to be demanding that that contract be honoured.

They can't use the 'G as it will have cricket wickets down, apparently Skilled in Geelong is going to be under redevelopment & Princes isn't up to the task. Nothing else to really choose from, the AFL are stuck for options and they need an AFL standard venue even though it is only pre-season.

I would be thinking that a better option would be for the AC/DC concerts to be relocated to the MCG. No loss of capacity and I reckon seeing them there would be so much better than at ES.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
michael_ozzie
Consistently Dusty

Why not re locate the game to an urban venue?
Get out in the community and see the kids of victoria.

Wait, we don't get that because we don't come from socially disadvantaged backgrounds.

And as if 50,000 people will come to a pre-season match. The only one that sells out is the grand final of the NAB cup.

HD Tow Bar, Rear Airbags, Reversing Camera & Trans Cooler
michael_ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_ozzie
Why not re locate the game to an urban venue?
Get out in the community and see the kids of victoria.

Wait, we don't get that because we don't come from socially disadvantaged backgrounds.

And as if 50,000 people will come to a pre-season match. The only one that sells out is the grand final of the NAB cup.
As it is an AFL standard game they require an AFL standard ground. Most urban venues aren't and the AFL can't afford the risk of having a club's player injured as it would leave the AFL open to legal issues from the clubs.

There is also the fact that the pre season is a warm up for the regular season so actual AFL grounds are required.

As for them never coming out, plenty of intra and inter club matches and practice matches are played out in many suburban and regional ovals every year.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Princess park or Vista park as it's known atm is not up to scratch, it's been said this year allready. It's fine for VFL games during the day with small crowds BUT like i said in my first post, these games are played at night in Melbourne and this venue is the only place available at the time as said in the article. You will find the AFL will win this battle unless they are heavily compensated and i mean heavily.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Put the concert and the game on at the same time, everyone wins!!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

Good one Ian Collins, big bite marks may be on your bum while the AFL are snickering behind closed doors.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the only institutions I really hate is the AFL, the constant bombardment via the media about this tiny little game drives me mad.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Why not have both? Simple and solved. Twilight game. (As Workhorse said)
Game first then ACDC later, full on sick!

But seems Etihad Boss Ian Collins couldn't give a crapper about the AFL.

I reckon the ACDC concert will win, as it has a higher crowd puller (aka Sold Out Show), than a crummy 5,000 fans to watch a Pre-Season game.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i do not know if it is the afl's fault - i do know however that someone previously mentioned has lied to some clubs especially my own and royally screwed us big time. i would not be surprised if that person is the problem again, it is not like he doesn't do whatever he can to get his own pockets lined
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I voted the second option because I thought it referred to the concert still being same place same time. But I definitely think AC/DC should take priority, a finals match maybe, but pre-season? Who cares I don't even want to think about footy in february
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

screw the AFL, im not even going to ACDC but it would be great if they could play there.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
LTDHO
The one and only

AFL can suck my ****!!!

They think they can rule whatever they want. This dispute with Edihed is pathetic.

Stats speak for themselves.
No way!! The AFL can go and (insert expletive) themselves 35 87.50%
Don't care, as long as my ticket is still good. 2 5.00%
Yes, the AFL should have priority. 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You have already voted on this poll
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
AFL can suck my ****!!!

They think they can rule whatever they want. This dispute with Edihed is pathetic.

Stats speak for themselves.
No way!! The AFL can go and (insert expletive) themselves 35 87.50%
Don't care, as long as my ticket is still good. 2 5.00%
Yes, the AFL should have priority. 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You have already voted on this poll
What a mature look at this that post is.

If Ian Collins had any clue on how to successfully run the stadium this issue wouldn't be an issue at all.

ES has double booked, they knew they AFL would be scheduling matches there on that weekend as that is what their contract stipulates.

As for Stats speaking for themselves I would hardly call a poll on an internet automotive forum comprehensive nor insightful. A contract is just that and cannot be broken when a certain boss from a certain stadium decides that it is convenient.

Good on the AFL for finally sticking to its guns and forcing a showdown. The stadiums have been screwing the AFL and the clubs for far too long and the AFL have needed to stand up and do something about it for a long time. Unfortunately it has come now and affecting one of the greatest bands ever (yes, I am a fan of Acca Dacca) as opposed to some stupid rave or doof doof DJ tool but a stand had to be made.

Some of the responses here have me a little puzzled, if you had a contract with someone and they decided that they wanted to change it to suit them so they could make more money wouldn't you fight for your rights as per that contract? Of course you would, no two ways about it so why should the AFL back down? You may not like the AFL but that does not change the fact that they are legally entitled to the stadium on those dates as per their contract and that they have every right to use it on those dates.

If you want to be angry with someone or something, be angry with ES and Ian Collins. They are the ones that have caused this mess, not the AFL.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

You can see a bodgy old (who cares!!) AFL pre season match anytime, i dont think you will get to see to many live AC/DC concerts again.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or they could just cancel the Victorian concert and add an extra one in QLD.

Somewhere near a large sand island would be a good idea.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #22
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
As it is an AFL standard game they require an AFL standard ground. Most urban venues aren't and the AFL can't afford the risk of having a club's player injured as it would leave the AFL open to legal issues from the clubs.

There is also the fact that the pre season is a warm up for the regular season so actual AFL grounds are required.

As for them never coming out, plenty of intra and inter club matches and practice matches are played out in many suburban and regional ovals every year.
Little bit of contradiction from the 1st paragraph to the 3rd?

They dont play full strength teams any way AND let em play on some concrete & harden the ...... up I rekon They would be lucky to fill the stands at Arden st ..... let alone 10% of ES for the pre season games. AC/DC or AFL pre season .... pffffttt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
Put the concert and the game on at the same time, everyone wins!!
Richmond vs Melbourne!!! They would appreciate a crowd

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Little bit of contradiction from the 1st paragraph to the 3rd?
I believe that the practice matches are organised by clubs as opposed to the AFL, there is also the fact that they aren't played as an official "competition" game so that's how that is gotten around.

Quote:
They dont play full strength teams any way AND let em play on some concrete & harden the ...... up I rekon They would be lucky to fill the stands at Arden st ..... let alone 10% of ES for the pre season games. AC/DC or AFL pre season .... pffffttt.
This is true, although at Arden st I really don't think it matters which team they fielded, they're all going to lose

Quote:
Richmond vs Melbourne!!! They would appreciate a crowd
Richmond can pull a decent crowd at times, look at the Dreamtime game for one. 70 odd thousand in for that.

No one cares about Melbourne though....
Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Richmond can pull a decent crowd at times, look at the Dreamtime game for one. 70 odd thousand in for that.

No one cares about Melbourne though....
68,000 Essendon supporters

Melbourne ..... are they still playing?

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
68,000 Essendon supporters

Melbourne ..... are they still in the playing?
I was actually surprised at how much yellow and black there was at that game, cocky buggers until the 15 minute mark of the 3rd quarter

Melbourne, they are. We apparently play them in a weeks time. Not that anyone will notice lol.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #26
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

....... already notched down as a win ..... talking about being cocky.

But alas ..... we digress.

Have my tickets so all is good. Would be great to move the concert to Rod Laver. If it went to MCG I would be really peed as concerts there are terrible

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
....... already notched down as a win ..... talking about being cocky.

But alas ..... we digress.

Have my tickets so all is good. Would be great to move the concert to Rod Laver. If it went to MCG I would be really peed as concerts there are terrible
1. True, but we are known to throw "should win" games.

2. True, bad us. OT chat is bad.

3. Rod Laver is great for concerts but I'm not so sure that they have the seating capacity required as ES is bigger.

Maybe a move to have it at Calder Park is in order, they don't do anything else there and are known to host this sort of thing too. Open air concert would be a bit of alright IMO.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #28
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Maybe a move to have it at Calder Park is in order, they don't do anything else there and are known to host this sort of thing too. Open air concert would be a bit of alright IMO.
Bad move....LOL!
If you went to the Guns'nRoses Concert back in 1992 ?, even though it was a Melbourne "woodstock", it was an absolute pr!ck getting home.
Took 3 hrs to drive home. When it took 1 an a bit hrs to get there.

And the mud.......Even Flinders Street and the Cabbies were quite ****ed off.

Yes great concept, but out there, it's crap transportation that kills it.
But the atmosphere of AC/DC rocking out there would be spastic.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post