Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down March 2012 Wheels

In the latest issue of Wheels the editors opening article states 'we were going to run a headline saying Falcon dead next year' or something.
Flicking through there is an article by Peter Robinson, supposedly the elder statesman of Australian motor journalism with a picture of the grim reaper next to a Falcon .

It makes statements such as Broadmeadows will definately close after 2016.
Now it seems to me that they prepared this article before the 2016 announcement, and couldn't be bothered changing it. That kind of imagery is damaging to Falcon and alot can happen between now and then.

Wheels is discounting the chance that it could recover (it has a few chances to ),instead chosing to sensationalise like a British tabloid. The majority of people who flick through the mag will think its already dead!
Thoughts?

Last edited by FalconXV; 15-02-2012 at 10:42 AM.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: March 2012 Wheels

can ford sue for defamation?
They could say lies like this are contrubuting to their issues.

Private individuals probably could if such articles without proof were causing grief.

Wouldnt get far I guess...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ford are the only ones contributing to the issues.. If only they stopped talking about it in the media themselves they would be a lot better off.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Were there 10000 reader letters laughing at their choice for Car of the Year?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
chunkynitro
Captain Awesome

It's comments like that from Wheels and to some extent Motor that has made me stop buying them, they are full of unsubstantiated BS. The articles are pulled from over seas magazines, the headlines are untrue, the "scoop" pictures/inside information is completely made up.
They only say things like that to drum up the diminishing sales.
I remember a few years ago they ran a story with pictures of a "scoop" new Audi A1 and it was a blatent photoshop/chop of a Suzuki Swift with and A3 front on it, same backround, same damn car.
chunkynitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Guys Wheels/Motor should been seen as nothing more than womans weekly for cars...

In saying that Fords announcements might have came at a late stage in their editing/printing process and it was too late. Id imagine it costs them a pretty penny to pull the pin and change articles etc.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

90% of what journos write is BS - the other 10 % is just plain old incorrect. Most of their day invloves cutting and pasting "facts" and "information" from either other people's articles or press releases.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
lowfly
lowfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
90% of what journos write is BS - the other 10 % is just plain old incorrect. Most of their day invloves cutting and pasting "facts" and "information" from either other people's articles or press releases.
Yeah spot on Spammy, I stopped buying their crap mags ages ago because of their bulls#&t. One month a particular car is the best they have ever tested etc, then a few months on they bag it......fugnose!
lowfly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
In the latest issue of Wheels the editors opening article states 'we were going to run a headline saying Falcon dead next year' or something.
Flicking through there is an article by Peter Robinson, supposedly the elder statesman of Australian motor journalism with a picture of the grim reaper next to a Falcon .

It makes statements such as Broadmeadows will definately close after 2016.
Now it seems to me that they prepared this article before the 2016 announcement, and couldn't be bothered changing it. That kind of imagery is damaging to Falcon and alot can happen between now and then.

Wheels is discounting the chance that it could recover (it has a few chances to ),instead chosing to sensationalise like a British tabloid. The majority of people who flick through the mag will think its already dead!
Thoughts?
Sadly, all the facts are pointing one way.

Ford can stop this straight away -

Release a statement saying that all efforts will be put on the Falcon:
Mondeo imports will stop.
Falcon redesign to suit Private sale, rather than Fleet
Renaming of models; including differentiating between private sale models, and Fleet sale models.
Look at export markets.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Man it makes my bloody boil when Holden put out there "good feeling" adds. They dont have to be talking about a particular product but it does state that the company is being proactive and "working" for the people...and they mentioned their LPG cars...AH! Call it propaganda if you like, it helps convey a message that the company is here for the long term, even if the facts show a different story.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Sadly, all the facts are pointing one way.

Ford can stop this straight away -

Falcon redesign to suit Private sale, rather than Fleet

Without fleet sales the Falcon won't make it to Easter - for a load of reasons (not all logical) private buyers don't need or want a large 6cly car anymore. The few who do seem to prefer commodores - also not logical but it's a fact.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember reading about the end of the aussie falcon in 1994 just before the EF falcon was released. Yet i still waste money on Wheels and Motor magazines.
bigwil is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember what Ford was going through in late 2007? I6 factory then supposed to be axed, venture industries strike causing Ford production to stop. This was getting a lot of negative media attention but that doesn't seem to be as bad as this. Wheels is a very popular magazine that everyone reads to generate their opinions on certain cars, even though I don't buy it myself. You cannot say this isn't an ultimate knockout blow for Ford whos already in the wars enough as it is.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Sooo what are they to report on?
Sales are up?
Profits are record high?
No issues with Ford AU?

In case you hadn't noticed it's all over the place not just Wheels.
You can hide your head in the sand all you want, there is a problem with Ford AU and if something doesn't happen then what choice do they have?

You may not like the article but really it ain't all rosy at any of the car makers right now, it is news and it is to be reported.
Old 15-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

I wouldn't go to Wheels/Motor magazine for any of the local manufacturers. They are more for your european vehicles.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
Rodge
Banned

Wheels lose more and more credibility with each issue.
Its worth less than the sensationalist tabloids they almost give away in England.

Honda CRZ car of the year
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
Without fleet sales the Falcon won't make it to Easter - for a load of reasons (not all logical) private buyers don't need or want a large 6cly car anymore. The few who do seem to prefer commodores - also not logical but it's a fact.
This statement is just so INCORRECT.. The Falcon & Commdore currently sales somewhere between 20-25% to 80-75% private to fleet.. This has ALWAYS been the case, nothing here has changed.. To say private buyers are the problem is incorrect, as this spilt has been here for decades!!

But how did I guess you’d be one of the first to post here!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil
I remember reading about the end of the aussie falcon in 1994 just before the EF falcon was released. Yet i still waste money on Wheels and Motor magazines.
But Ford did try to kill of the Falcon back then. They had the Taurus all ready to take over. The Australian public hated it, and Ford had no option but to ensure the Falcon's life for a bit longer.

That was when Ford and Holden were selling well and they had a huge supporter base, and imports were a small part of the market.

The Taurus was no threat to the Falcon the Mondeo is a threat, at the moment.

Old 15-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres the editors letter, sorry its a little hard to read on the left margin but you'll get the idea.

So its quite obvious the OP didn't even bother reading that before starting a thread on it!

No new news here, but just to revise Falcon sales over the last decade;

How could anyone with even a basic business sense, or even just a hint of intelligence, think that there is any chance the Falcon will continue to be designed and built here in Australia after 2016? Sure, we've heard it all before I know, but the sales figures have never been like this. And a few new engines will do SFA to reverse the trend - a slight increase in fleet sales is the best Ford could hope for.

Wheels ani-Ford? Anti-Falcon? Peter Robinsons closing paragraph;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
The cold logic of this outlook makes solid business sense, but it doesn't make it any easier to digest. After 64 years and generations of cars perfectly suited to the local environment, the indigenous Australian motor industry faces an enormous challenge. To be competitive globally is probably impossible long-term. That is a tragedy for Australia and especially those people who want to work, in one form or another, today and tomorrow, with cars. I have produced countless thousands of words for this magazine over 40 years, but this may well be the most depressing story I've every written.

I find myself sticking up for Wheels Magazine a lot on here. I dont work for them I promise, its just that I find it absolutely ridiculous the way so many people here incessantly bag the press (not just Wheels) just because they dont heap endless praise on Ford.

Long term, the Falcon is dead - along with it any hint of muscle-car-style performance.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Come on Tranquilized this is a blind faith internet forum, truth has no place here :-)
Old 15-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Shows how times have changed in general...go the AU selling 60,000 in a year!

I dont have much problem with this article, but the majority of the writers do talk utter crap and its not until you work in the industry or know someone who does when you can differentiate fact from fiction properly.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well, there's an interesting parallel going on.

The easy availability of imported vehicles in Australia, with low import tarifs, is making local product less compelling to purchase.

Also, the easy availability of online media is rendering print media obsolete, no matter how much they advertise to the contrary within the pages of Wheels and Motor, and online media can come from anywhere on the internet. There's no reason to buy local magazines if there's no local content to review - I can read reviews of a gizillian porsches and other exotic cars in overseas material - Wheels and Motor have lost themselves in the noise. We may as well just buy the magazines made overseas and read those reviews, since they'll now apply to us.

Seems to me a bit of Karma happening here. I too see lots of things in Wheels and Motor to do with speculation about the end of the Falcon - and no real effort to help put a positive spin or assist with what is essentially their bread and butter topics. There has been hardly any local content in the last 2 or 3 issues of either - and this at a time when the FGII, EcoLPI and Ecoboost are being released. Shameful.

Motor and Wheels are basically contributing to the process of their own demise. What goes around comes around. I cancelled my subscription years ago and now get to pick and choose when I buy them from the newstand. When there's no local content reviews - including Commodore, Camry and Aurion as well as Ford I might ad - I don't buy them. Easy as that.

Lukeyson
Old 15-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #23
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Well, there's an interesting parallel going on.

The easy availability of imported vehicles in Australia, with low import tarifs, is making local product less compelling to purchase.

Also, the easy availability of online media is rendering print media obsolete, no matter how much they advertise to the contrary within the pages of Wheels and Motor, and online media can come from anywhere on the internet. There's no reason to buy local magazines if there's no local content to review - I can read reviews of a gizillian porsches and other exotic cars in overseas material - Wheels and Motor have lost themselves in the noise. We may as well just buy the magazines made overseas and read those reviews, since they'll now apply to us.

Seems to me a bit of Karma happening here. I too see lots of things in Wheels and Motor to do with speculation about the end of the Falcon - and no real effort to help put a positive spin or assist with what is essentially their bread and butter topics. There has been hardly any local content in the last 2 or 3 issues of either - and this at a time when the FGII, EcoLPI and Ecoboost are being released. Shameful.

Motor and Wheels are basically contributing to the process of their own demise. What goes around comes around. I cancelled my subscription years ago and now get to pick and choose when I buy them from the newstand. When there's no local content reviews - including Commodore, Camry and Aurion as well as Ford I might ad - I don't buy them. Easy as that.

Lukeyson

That is a very true point - no local industry - not much reason for Wheels or Motor to exist either.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was posted on FF, that 25% of Commodore sales are V8's. Hello !! wakey wakey Ford !!! Falcon needs the V8 option !!!
Old 15-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #25
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Shows how times have changed in general...go the AU selling 60,000 in a year!

I dont have much problem with this article, but the majority of the writers do talk utter crap and its not until you work in the industry or know someone who does when you can differentiate fact from fiction properly.
If I am not mistaken, AU actually outsold BA/BF,
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #26
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Ford are the only ones contributing to the issues.. If only they stopped talking about it in the media themselves they would be a lot better off.
+1 for this.

What happened to fake it until you make it Ford.
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #27
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
+1 for this.

What happened to fake it until you make it Ford.
Ever thought that Ford HQ are part of it?

Quote:
Multiplying Mondeo: Meet the (expanding) family

Get ready for a rush of new mid-sized variants as Ford looks to maximise the underpinnings of its all-new mid-sized Mondeo, revealed in the US as the Fusion.

Ford’s new mid-sized Fusion – likely to be sold here as the Mondeo – will spawn a family of vehicles designed to share common major components while providing unique designs that give the impression of different vehicles.

Speaking at the reveal of the all-new Fusion mid-sized car at the 2012 Detroit motor show, Ford’s global president Alan Mulally confirmed the new Mondeo would form the basis of 10 distinct model, many with varying body styles in line with the company’s One Ford policy to share parts of the cars many customers don’t see – and often don’t care about
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...110-1pspg.html
Quote:
2013 Mondeo Is A Fusion Of Ford's Best

Ford's brand-new Mondeo has made its international debut at this week's Detroit Auto Show, following weeks of teasers, spy photos and leaked images.

Arriving at the show in its US-market Fusion form, Ford's new global midsizer will continue to carry the Mondeo name in Europe, and, while Australian details have not been announced, you can bet we can expect the same here.

As revealed earlier, the new Mondeo draws its styling cues from the meataxe that is last year's Ford Evos study, translating the concept's coupe lines into a sharp and market-ready sedan.
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/532...-of-fords-best

Old 15-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #28
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
This statement is just so INCORRECT.. The Falcon & Commdore currently sales somewhere between 20-25% to 80-75% private to fleet.. This has ALWAYS been the case, nothing here has changed.. To say private buyers are the problem is incorrect, as this spilt has been here for decades!!

But how did I guess you’d be one of the first to post here!!
I agree private sales are not the problem the bigger problem (which ain't about to go away) is plain and simple low sales.

Any move away from fleet sales, which as you say is 70 % (of a small number), is just suicide.
Old 15-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

At the moment, Ford is building EcoLPI with no major orders in sight, most are going to stock.
If this keeps going the plant will need to ease back on volume, could we see four day weeks?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
At the moment, Ford is building EcoLPI with no major orders in sight, most are going to stock.
If this keeps going the plant will need to ease back on volume, could we see four day weeks?
Yes because they lost all their Gas customers to Toyota / Hybrid Camry's and smaller alternatives.

We knew this would happen, fleet operators were forced to make the switch, now see no worth coming back.

Very worrying for all involved.

The only people keeping Ford alive in Australia is Hertz and a few other rental companies that keep solid forward ordering... Everyone else has dropped them.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post