Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #1441
bfets

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I get about 6 - 7 months out of Collinite 845 on a daily driven car. The garage queens can take that out to 12 months and beyond.

In terms of decontamination, it can be hard to gauge whether a babied, garage kept car will need this step. Best way to tell is the "baggie test" -

At this point you then decide to chemically (iron remover) and mechanically (clay) decontaminate.

The XR6 is normally in storage, the XR8 I will not let out of my sight! Every time I get that guilty feeling, for some reason I think of your T3 being stored in a similar manner, as in infrequent use. The XR8 always has a car parked behind it and is always covered, throw in work, other cars and weather (I have not, will not drive it in the rain)............... you know how it is.
Went to test drive a Mustang yesterday. Just getting my fix while I'm waiting on mine. Anyway, the dealer had a good looking XR8 there as well. Such a special car. I think it will sell really quick.
bfets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2022, 06:11 PM   #1442
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfets View Post
Went to test drive a Mustang yesterday. Just getting my fix while I'm waiting on mine. Anyway, the dealer had a good looking XR8 there as well. Such a special car. I think it will sell really quick.
Probably best you didn't drive the XR8 too, might have become an expensive test drive!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2022, 09:01 PM   #1443
Jamies460

Hello Guys.... Ive been using Mcguires deep crystal wet look for years now, Ive used it a couple of times on my FG-XR8 i was just wondering what other brands of polish may be better as i find the wet look polish doe's not seem to last very long, I need to use a Wax/Polish rub on rub off & not a spray polish as i live in the Country where some-times we get alot of dust, i was looking at the Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection Wax as it states to wipe on & let dry then polish off after half a hour... has any-one used this product ? im open to any suggestions for other brands of polish that give a Gloss wet look finish, Many Thanks.
Jamies460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2022, 09:20 PM   #1444
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamies460 View Post
Hello Guys.... Ive been using Mcguires deep crystal wet look for years now, Ive used it a couple of times on my FG-XR8 i was just wondering what other brands of polish may be better as i find the wet look polish doe's not seem to last very long, I need to use a Wax/Polish rub on rub off & not a spray polish as i live in the Country where some-times we get alot of dust, i was looking at the Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection Wax as it states to wipe on & let dry then polish off after half a hour... has any-one used this product ? im open to any suggestions for other brands of polish that give a Gloss wet look finish, Many Thanks.
In general, polish and wax are two separate things.

Polish and Polishing/Cutting compounds are products that correct scratches and swirls as well as providing additional gloss.

A wax/sealant/ceramic coating is what locks in and boosts that shine from polishing, adding protection from a variety of contaminants and UV damage.

The exception to the above is a product like Meguiars Deep Crystal Wet Look which is a cleaner wax or all-in-one. These have some minor polishing ability, but also fillers to boost shine and disguise swirls.

For me, I prefer to treat polishing and wax/sealant/coating as separate tasks however I do see the appeal in the time saving an AIO can provide.

I used Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection many years ago, I would recommend avoiding it owing to the difficult removal process. Newer, more modern products have left this behind.

If you wanted to stay in the Meguiars family, have a look into their Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax. This wont have the "cleaning" or polish aspect to it though.

https://www.meguiars.com.au/product/...ic-liquid-wax/

Have a look into CarPro Essence or Rupes Uno-protect, both all-in-one polish and sealants.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-essence-250ml
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...polish-sealant
Mustang GT

Old 29-03-2022, 10:28 PM   #1445
Jamies460

Hello a family member is bringing me around some polish tomorrow made by The Chemical Guys, he details cars in his spare time when not at work, I will just do the Bonnet to see how it performs.
Jamies460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 08:11 PM   #1446
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

For those waiting for sales, at the moment Waxit are running their BOGO sale - Buy One, Get One -

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...uy-one-get-one

This is in addition to their current specials -

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/new-specials

They also recently launched a new range of buckets, dollies and wash accessories -

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/new
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 09:51 PM   #1447
bfets

Quote:
For those waiting for sales, at the moment Waxit are running their BOGO sale - Buy One, Get One -

They also recently launched a new range of buckets, dollies and wash accessories -

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-cordless-skin

Wow that seems like a good deal. I'm not sure I'll use it that much if I end up getting my car ceramic coated. Still handy to have.
This user likes this post:
Old 31-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #1448
bfets

Quote:

The more I thought about it last night, the more I thought that it is one major downside to ceramic coatings the fact that you cant use a polisher on the car. I mean light scratches now and then is inevitable. With a coat on the car you cant correct those without removing the ceramic coating and getting it redone afterwards.
I'm think I'll most probably just stick to trying different products and doing a lot of manual detailing much like you are doing DFB.

Anyway, I ended up buying this (thanks for drawing my attention to it DFB):
https://www.waxit.com.au/products/bo...-cordless-skin

I added some 4" pads because they aren't included. I also got a further 10% off with the WAXIT10 code.

All in all I think that was a great buy.
Old 31-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #1449
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
The more I thought about it last night, the more I thought that it is one major downside to ceramic coatings the fact that you cant use a polisher on the car. I mean light scratches now and then is inevitable. With a coat on the car you cant correct those without removing the ceramic coating and getting it redone afterwards.
I'm think I'll most probably just stick to trying different products and doing a lot of manual detailing much like you are doing DFB.

I added some 4" pads because they aren't included. I also got a further 10% off with the WAXIT10 code.

Depends what you are using the car for. For me, my weekend cars aren't ceremic coated, there is simply no reason to do it.

I do have the roof, bonnet and boot ceramic coated on my daily. That's simply because I only wash it once a month and there is lots of tree sap at my work where i park now. I only coated it for that little bit of protection.

For garage queens, I just enjoy the process of detailing, if they were coated it would take that enjoyment away. Also ceramic coating cars when you are OCD is insanely finicky and frustrating. On my old S3 XR8 it literally took me 8 hours to apply it because I was being so OCD with it

I'll never forget that detail, 36 hours of detailing, finished at 3am, wife woke up in labour with our second child at 530am and gave birth at 9. I couldnt whinge that I had zero sleep for two days leading up to the birth
Old 31-03-2022, 05:20 PM   #1450
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Also, that deal from waxit for the 15" and 3" is an absolute steal. Wish that deal was around when i bought my cordless shine mate.
Old 31-03-2022, 06:59 PM   #1451
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

First of all, well done!! So excited for you!

As fordomatic says, that is a very good deal. I have both of those machines, they are an excellent choice for beginners and hobbyist detailers. Having both the 3 and 5 inch will mean you can machine polish just on 95% of the car, the final 5% would be the very intricate areas done by hand or a nano machine. And those compounds are top drawer too.

Polishing a coating is a strange situation. A lot of the more expensive and durable coatings have a lifespan of 3 - 5 years if cared for correctly. However, unless the car is kept in a bubble and never touched, scratches and marring are always going to happen, even for the most fastidious people.

Lets say you are two years into your coating and the paint has some wash induced swirls and some minor scratches. In general, you will either have to live with it or polish them out, potentially taking the coating with it. I have seen some suggestion that Sonax Perfect Finish on a yellow Rupes pad would leave Gtechniq CSL intact, but I tend to doubt that.

CarPro do sell a polish for ceramic coatings -

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...o-essence-plus

"Essence PLUS provides a new, smarter way to repair your coatings. It contains no abrasive, and will not remove any paint or coating. Instead, Essence PLUS will maintain, and heal your coating - filling these swirls, imperfections, and scratches with a silica resin which activates the repairing process."

The key thing here is that it's basically the fillers that will temporally hide imperfections, potentially buying you some extra time before having to polish/compound and re-apply the coating.

I will state that I am not anti ceramic coating, just that they are not for everyone. The combination of gloss, protection, water repellency and ease of cleaning are big drawcards. But they also need a certain level of care and skill to apply as well as careful maintenance to meet the longevity claims.

The good thing is ceramic coatings give detailers yet another avenue to follow in regards to paint protection. Once upon a time, you basically only had the choice of wax.
Mustang GT

Old 31-03-2022, 07:10 PM   #1452
bfets

Quote:
First of all, well done!! So excited for you!

As fordomatic says, that is a very good deal. I have both of those machines, they are an excellent choice for beginners and hobbyist detailers. Having both the 3 and 5 inch will mean you can machine polish just on 95% of the car, the final 5% would be the very intricate areas done by hand or a nano machine. And those compounds are top drawer too.

Polishing a coating is a strange situation. A lot of the more expensive and durable coatings have a lifespan of 3 - 5 years if cared for correctly. However, unless the car is kept in a bubble and never touched, scratches and marring are always going to happen, even for the most fastidious people.

Lets say you are two years into your coating and the paint has some wash induced swirls and some minor scratches. In general, you will either have to live with it or polish them out, potentially taking the coating with it. I have seen some suggestion that Sonax Perfect Finish on a yellow Rupes pad would leave Gtechniq CSL intact, but I tend to doubt that.

CarPro do sell a polish for ceramic coatings -

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...o-essence-plus

"Essence PLUS provides a new, smarter way to repair your coatings. It contains no abrasive, and will not remove any paint or coating. Instead, Essence PLUS will maintain, and heal your coating - filling these swirls, imperfections, and scratches with a silica resin which activates the repairing process."

The key thing here is that it's basically the fillers that will temporally hide imperfections, potentially buying you some extra time before having to polish/compound and re-apply the coating.

I will state that I am not anti ceramic coating, just that they are not for everyone. The combination of gloss, protection, water repellency and ease of cleaning are big drawcards. But they also need a certain level of care and skill to apply as well as careful maintenance to meet the longevity claims.

The good thing is ceramic coatings give detailers yet another avenue to follow in regards to paint protection. Once upon a time, you basically only had the choice of wax.
Thanks DFB. Yeah I'm looking forward to trying these machines.

I have also been doing some research on ceramic coatings and came to the same conclusion. They have many up sides, but they dont come without cost. They are expensive and limiting in the ways you also described. While they do provide good gloss, protection and water repellency, I think you get 80% of that with a good paint sealant. I am certainly very surprised by the results I saw using happy ending. Its so easy to apply, that it doesnt bother me if I dont get years worth of protection. I'll just apply it every second wash or so anyway.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advise and info.
Old 31-03-2022, 09:52 PM   #1453
jgmdat

Is NV Snow in the foam gun, then hand wash followed by Happy Ending, Boss Gloss on the drying towel then a coat of P and S Bead Maker overkill. Asking for a friend.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2022, 09:58 PM   #1454
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Is NV Snow in the foam gun, then hand wash followed by Happy Ending, Boss Gloss on the drying towel then a coat of P and S Bead Maker overkill. Asking for a friend.
Skip the Boss Gloss on the drying towel (drying aid) and go straight to the Bead Maker instead.
Mustang GT

Old 31-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #1455
jgmdat

Quote:
Skip the Boss Gloss on the drying towel (drying aid) and go straight to the Bead Maker instead.
Cheers, never thought of that. Boss Gloss for the wheels only now.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2022, 10:14 PM   #1456
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Cheers, never thought of that. Boss Gloss for the wheels only now.
No reason why you couldn't alternate between the two as drying aids. Bead Maker will provide more gloss than Boss Gloss though.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #1457
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Also, that deal from waxit for the 15" and 3" is an absolute steal. Wish that deal was around when i bought my cordless shine mate.
Looks like plenty of others think so too, sold out now.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-cordless-skin
Mustang GT

Old 02-04-2022, 08:48 PM   #1458
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was planning on a Waxit order a few days ago, i thought about it, added to the cart and was nearly ready to click go, but held off.

Mrs fell ill with a cold, and with the weather turning good this weekend i thought i better get to anywhere with some specials running and be ready to go for the weekend and give the i30 a full detail. Well now shes gone positive with the Spicy Cough im glad i grabbed a few things.

I have stuck with Bowdens, bought their autobody gel (better for in the sun usage), a claying rubber and some more wet dreams. I was keen to try something new but im glad i grabbed some stuff as i can get right into it tomorrow with no waiting.

Now i am stuck at home for 7 days i can also give the Focus some extra attention i hadn't planned on. Even though its just been waxed i am not happy at all with the bonnet and front bumper. Feels like sandpaper even after the wax. So early next week i will give that a clay bar with three way and see if that improves the situation, and re wax.

Glad ive got a couple of things to do around the cars and house (provided i dont get sick).
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 01:07 PM   #1459
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did my sister's car last year - used her kid's Bowden's clay rubber. Didn't feel like it did the same job as traditional clay bar but also did not leave any fine scratches. Maybe different technique is needed when using clay rubber and so I was the issue, don't know, just did not feel as effective
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #1460
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Did my sister's car last year - used her kid's Bowden's clay rubber. Didn't feel like it did the same job as traditional clay bar but also did not leave any fine scratches. Maybe different technique is needed when using clay rubber and so I was the issue, don't know, just did not feel as effective
Clay blocks, mitts and pads are most certainly less aggressive than an traditional clay bar.

I have only ever used mild clay bars, but using a clay foam block felt quite weird in that it didn't have the feel of what I was accustomed to. I would rather not go back though.

To be honest, I never really felt comfortable using a clay bar as they are awkward to use and it felt unnatural to be rubbing away at the paint with a piece of synthetic dirt. While a necessary evil every few years, I much prefer the new style of clay products.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #1461
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I used it for the first time today. I had forgotten how much they do for the paint. Going from feeling super rough on the lower parts of the car to super smooth.

The Claying Rubber from bowdens can be a touch awkward in smaller areas and over creases and bends in the body work but overall i was very happy with the results.

I used to use the maguires clay bar kits, they did a great job but i wouldnt go back thats for sure.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 07:59 PM   #1462
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I'm looking to give the wife's grey i45 a good going over as soon as I get over Covid. Has not had interior cleaned in nearly 2 years, even used it to cart some rolls of turf in the boot. Outside has been through a lazer wash about 14 months ago.

Was 2 years back when it last had a 'proper' inside and out clean. Can't use Covid as excuse, that only justifies the last 1.5 weeks. The rest is just due to life, moving house couple of times, work, and it being relegated to 3rd car shopping trolley duties about 3 years back (my 2 cars are generally kept very well). I've only gotten away with it as she has been mostly driving my car.

It is pretty banged up now, but there are some light scratches I look forward to removing. Usual rub marks, and then also some school bag scratches on boot lid. Worry about the bonnet and boot - if they will get their shine back as they are pretty dull. Roof is fine as it is all glass.
Yeah, still haven't done this. Wife grabbed my laptop today to do online banking and found it open at this thread after I asked about claying earlier today...she was like "When are you doing my car?".

This thread!
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 08:34 PM   #1463
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This thread!
Exactly, I am now diving into the deep end to the infinite world of Pads and Compounds.

I finally got a 18v Ryobi DA Polisher today for less than $100 as I had saved up some gift vouchers and used them up.

I already have 2 x 5 a 4Amp and 3 smaller sizes so have a calculated 4 hours of run time with the batteries I have.

It only has a 8mm orbit so is only suited to minor corrections and waxing I guess, but it makes sense to me being a beginner and already having the batteries for my garden tools.

Unfortunately it will be weeks until I can really give it a go as I am in total disarray being in the middle of a kitchen / family room reno which has a knock on effect to my garage with storage ect. I have not cleaned the Cars for 3 weeks so are feeling slack as I can't even get to the cleaning products.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2022, 08:37 PM   #1464
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Exactly, I am now diving into the deep end to the infinite world of Pads and Compounds.

I finally got a 18v Ryobi DA Polisher today for less than $100 as I had saved up some gift vouchers and used them up.

I already have 2 x 5 a 4Amp and 3 smaller sizes so have a calculated 4 hours of run time with the batteries I have.

It only has a 8mm orbit so is only suited to minor corrections and waxing I guess, but it makes sense to me being a beginner and already having the batteries for my garden tools.

Unfortunately it will be weeks until I can really give it a go as I am in total disarray being in the middle of a kitchen / family room reno which has a knock on effect to my garage with storage ect. I have not cleaned the Cars for 3 weeks so are feeling slack as I can't even get to the cleaning products.

Three weeks without a detail, I would be having serious withdrawal symptom's!
Mustang GT

Old 03-04-2022, 08:52 PM   #1465
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I am keen to hear how you go with the Ryobi. I have my eye on it also as I have the battery.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:57 PM   #1466
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same. Once you start, you just want to do more and more. I got the Mechpro DA polisher when it was on special. The result when using a DA polisher, in comparison to elbow grease, is chalk and cheese. When you start seeing good results, you will go looking for more to do .

I am only doing some amateur jobs on the old BA falcon, but found the Meguires Ultimate Compound a really good all rounder. The Mechpro came with 3 pads, and I found the hardest pad, the cutting pad, the best to use for pretty much everything. Unfortunately I'm close to wrecking that pad, so looking for a replacement. Was considering the SPTA pads on ebay, yes its cheap, but it has had some good reviews on YT. Might get a few and see how they do for my amateur tasks.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2022, 12:58 PM   #1467
bfets

Any good recommendations for a dressing to use in the engine bay?

I wanted to try Koch Chemie Motorplast, but its out of stock everywhere.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...39302017613879

The Detail Store recommended Angelwax Elixir as an replacement since they dont have an ETA on motorplast.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...dressing-500ml

I'd like something thats not going to attract a lot of dust and will just leave a nice new OEM type look to the engine bay.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #1468
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Any good recommendations for a dressing to use in the engine bay?

I wanted to try Koch Chemie Motorplast, but its out of stock everywhere.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...39302017613879

The Detail Store recommended Angelwax Elixir as an replacement since they dont have an ETA on motorplast.

https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...dressing-500ml

I'd like something thats not going to attract a lot of dust and will just leave a nice new OEM type look to the engine bay.
Carpro PERL 1:2 or aerospace 303 protectant
Old 04-04-2022, 01:19 PM   #1469
bfets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Carpro PERL 1:2 or aerospace 303 protectant
Thanks. I do have both of those products.
What I like about Motorplast, is how easy it is to use. Spray on and let it dry. No need to wipe of the excess etc. I think especially in an engine bay where there are so many nooks and crannies, its a big plus.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2022, 01:21 PM   #1470
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Thanks. I do have both of those products.
What I like about Motorplast, is how easy it is to use. Spray on and let it dry. No need to wipe of the excess etc. I think especially in an engine bay where there are so many nooks and crannies, its a big plus.
The only problem I found with that, is lots of overspray as my engine bays have a lot of metal and alloy. So ive found i just put perl onto my applicator and then go over the plastic/silicon bits that need it.