Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2022, 07:00 PM   #1411
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfets View Post
How do these two compare to NV Snow? Similar in quality and performance?
CarPro Reset, NV Snow and Koch Chemie GSF are my top 3 soaps.

1st - CarPro Reset, for it's amazing slickness, great cleaning ability while remaining pH neutral and the fantastic scent. Can be used in a bucket wash and a foam cannon.

Score - 10/10

2nd - NV Snow. What grabs my attention with Snow is that it is almost as good as Reset and has an edge over GSF but for less money. The only thing that it looses over the other two is scent, which is still great but not outstanding.

Score 9.5/10

(Note - NV Snow+ is a higher pH variation on Snow designed for tougher cleaning/wax stripping. It foams extremely well but lacks any kind of of artificial scent and is very "chemical" in its aroma. My sister even noted it smells harsher than the other soaps we often use to clean her car. I tend not to "rank" this soap as it's not a product you will be using as often as the other pH neutral soaps, but I think it's worthwhile having.)

3rd - Koch Chemie GSF. This is one of those products that is an absolute pleasure to use, mainly owing to it knockout scent. It offers similar slickness to Snow and Reset. I find that it foams thickly but tends to dissolve quicker on the paint than Snow, it's this reason why I rank it in 3rd.

Score 9.0/10

I would challenge anyone to not be pleased with any of these soaps and it takes minute analyzing to separates them on performance. All measure 9 and above out of 10 in my opinion. For comparison sake, P&S Pearl would rate at 6/10, loosing points for it's very average foaming ability and generic scent. Meguiar's Gold Class would be 6.5/10, loosing points for it's gloopy consistency, making hard to measure out.

To the average person, all of these products are just car soap. But there are differences between them all.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2022, 07:44 PM   #1412
jgmdat

I was using Bowdens Snow job and it's okay. On your advice I tried some Nv Snow and it is next level. Now I have to get rid of a litre of snow job so I can use the NV all the time.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-03-2022, 08:13 PM   #1413
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
I was using Bowdens Snow job and it's okay. On your advice I tried some Nv Snow and it is next level. Now I have to get rid of a litre of snow job so I can use the NV all the time.
I did the same thing. I've been gradually using up the snow job in the wheel wash bucket.

Keen to try Reset but last order NV snow was on sale so maybe next time.
Old 17-03-2022, 08:19 PM   #1414
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I did the same thing. I've been gradually using up the snow job in the wheel wash bucket.

Keen to try Reset but last order NV snow was on sale so maybe next time.
I did the same!
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2022, 10:19 PM   #1415
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Got myself a new and more task appropriate detailing cart!

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...f603b85f&_ss=r

Another item from Detailing Shed, I have had my eye on this for a while. Crossed shopped a couple of different versions but went for this one due it being the size I wanted. Two shelves have recesses for bottles, which can be configured as desired, I put these on the top and middle levels.

Only 63 hours until I can give it whirl!
Mustang GT

7 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #1416
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post

Yep likewise - I bought the Bowden’s snow gun etc but it’s ALL DFB’s influence lol
I got the nvsnow quick smart never looked back…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2022, 11:55 PM   #1417
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

DFB FGXR6, I imagine you have an entire warehouse somewhere that is dedicated solely to storing your extensive range of detailing supplies and equipment.

Warehousing space well utilised if true.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2022, 07:48 PM   #1418
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
DFB FGXR6, I imagine you have an entire warehouse somewhere that is dedicated solely to storing your extensive range of detailing supplies and equipment.

Warehousing space well utilised if true.
I wish!

My fantasy would be to have a largish open plan warehouse with an upper level for living quarters. I have the below image burned in my brain for a long time now.

An undercover wash bay that extends down the building to include a lock-up tool cage to store my gardening machinery, perhaps with a workbench for servicing. This then keeps the "messy" stuff out of the "warehouse". This area would have proper drainage, a boom pole and a permanent wall-mount pressure washer setup.

I would then have a double width garage door that allows easy access to my cars inside. That whole lower level would be for cars and car detailing. I would have my detailing all set up so that I can drive a car straight in and get to work without having to move other cars. Plenty of storage cabinets so it's always neat, and decent counter space to work on if needed. I would have this space fitted with Swisstrax. The area where the cars are parked would ideally have this flooring too, but cost would be the limiting factor.

The upper floor would be pretty basic and as open plan as possible. Bedroom, bathroom/laundry and kitchen.

This has been a dream for a long time, perhaps one day. I have people telling me that I don't want to do this, it would not be good for resale. So, I should buy a property that I don't want so that someone else will want when I'm done? F..K THAT!!

Anyway, keep dreaming DFB............
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2022, 08:39 PM   #1419
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I wish!

My fantasy would be to have a largish open plan warehouse with an upper level for living quarters. I have the below image burned in my brain for a long time now.

An undercover wash bay that extends down the building to include a lock-up tool cage to store my gardening machinery, perhaps with a workbench for servicing. This then keeps the "messy" stuff out of the "warehouse". This area would have proper drainage, a boom pole and a permanent wall-mount pressure washer setup.

I would then have a double width garage door that allows easy access to my cars inside. That whole lower level would be for cars and car detailing. I would have my detailing all set up so that I can drive a car straight in and get to work without having to move other cars. Plenty of storage cabinets so it's always neat, and decent counter space to work on if needed. I would have this space fitted with Swisstrax. The area where the cars are parked would ideally have this flooring too, but cost would be the limiting factor.

The upper floor would be pretty basic and as open plan as possible. Bedroom, bathroom/laundry and kitchen.

This has been a dream for a long time, perhaps one day. I have people telling me that I don't want to do this, it would not be good for resale. So, I should buy a property that I don't want so that someone else will want when I'm done? F..K THAT!!

Anyway, keep dreaming DFB............
When i win the lotto ill be asking you for these plans.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2022, 08:53 PM   #1420
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
When i win the lotto ill be asking you for these plans.
You will have to pay for mine first though, then I'll give you the plans for free!
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2022, 09:12 PM   #1421
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be happy with something like this kind of set up after winning lotto.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2022, 09:14 PM   #1422
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or may be this.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2022, 10:45 PM   #1423
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst procrastinating on my waxing/detailing shed order (which I really need to do something about now as I have run out of a few items, microfibre wash being one) I went to bunnings today.

A few years ago when I moved out of home I needed a hose for gardening and car washing. I bought the cheapest plastic reel with the cheapest hose from bunnings and had instant regret. This hose unless baked in the sun would curl up, kink, smack the car as I walked around, get stuck under the tyres, really annoying. Even after baking in the sun, the cold water would cause it to curl up again).

Since moving, we have a 4000L water tank (which seems to only run toilets), instead of using the fresh water tap out the front, I preferred to use the tank water (it’s free!), closest tap is behind the garage (oddly) and I needed a bit more hose than I had. I spent $25 on 20m of Nylex branded hose and my goodness what a massive difference. Doesn’t curl, no kinking, no hitting the car, super light.

Moral of the story, don’t cheap out of hose.
Old 19-03-2022, 11:14 PM   #1424
prydey
Rob

I thought $25 was a cheap hose??
Old 19-03-2022, 11:51 PM   #1425
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Whilst procrastinating on my waxing/detailing shed order (which I really need to do something about now as I have run out of a few items, microfibre wash being one) I went to bunnings today.

A few years ago when I moved out of home I needed a hose for gardening and car washing. I bought the cheapest plastic reel with the cheapest hose from bunnings and had instant regret. This hose unless baked in the sun would curl up, kink, smack the car as I walked around, get stuck under the tyres, really annoying. Even after baking in the sun, the cold water would cause it to curl up again).

Since moving, we have a 4000L water tank (which seems to only run toilets), instead of using the fresh water tap out the front, I preferred to use the tank water (it’s free!), closest tap is behind the garage (oddly) and I needed a bit more hose than I had. I spent $25 on 20m of Nylex branded hose and my goodness what a massive difference. Doesn’t curl, no kinking, no hitting the car, super light.

Moral of the story, don’t cheap out of hose.
One of these two?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/nylex-re...-hose_p0332517
https://www.bunnings.com.au/nylex-12...-hose_p3130817

Nylex are a good brand, it should serve you well.

I
Mustang GT

Old 20-03-2022, 09:39 AM   #1426
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I thought $25 was a cheap hose??
https://www.bunnings.com.au/aqua-sys...e-set_p3131597

Too cheap
Old 20-03-2022, 09:41 AM   #1427
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One of these two?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/nylex-re...-hose_p0332517
https://www.bunnings.com.au/nylex-12...-hose_p3130817

Nylex are a good brand, it should serve you well.

I
Yep second one.

Next purchase, detailing gear. (Need some sales)
Old 20-03-2022, 04:27 PM   #1428
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yep second one.

Next purchase, detailing gear. (Need some sales)
Most of the usual detailing suppliers have Easter sales, the question is, can you wait that long?
Mustang GT

Old 20-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #1429
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another great video by Car Craft Auto Detailing, this time on a stunning Holden Monaro. I have always loved the modern Monaro, they are just so perfectly styled.

Mustang GT

Old 20-03-2022, 07:14 PM   #1430
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Another great video by Car Craft Auto Detailing, this time on a stunning Holden Monaro. I have always loved the modern Monaro, they are just so perfectly styled.

Noice, came up so well it shows the (factory) Orange peel nicely
Old 20-03-2022, 11:43 PM   #1431
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Well after all the rain we’ve had it was time to wash a car or 2.
The Sprint much like the 3 toys of DFB you could hardly say gets very dirty more so weeks of dust and slight brake pad dust but it was long overdue I was getting ocd……..
First off done the wheels calipers with NVPurge - I find it so effective won’t bother using something else till I’m convinced something is much better.
Then it’s NVSnow again this product does the business with ease - soapy slippery having black gives me confidence the spear coat won’t be effected using 2 bucket method.
I have quite a number of products I’ve yet to use and thought it was time to retire bowdens big too thick Pia green sucker and opened up Supercell large drying towel.
To compliment the drying I used Dream Maker sprayed in each sections I wiped down.
The super cell is farfar more effective I found, wiping down gently no matter how much beads was on the duco I was amazed how well it worked, I never rung it out might I add, wiped down the entire Sprint.
Dream Maker applied easily no misting.
Both products I give 10/10.
For years I have quite a few bottles of Michelin Tyre Shine sitting on the shelf.
I used religiously when using the T3 a lot.
It’s a Matt finish applied easily with a small tyre foam block.
Overall a nice productive loving morning.

Don’t ya love that fat rear tyre spread on 20’s.
Drove it last night into the city and back - nothing like a Miami and 6speed stick shift.

6 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2022, 10:21 PM   #1432
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Well after all the rain we’ve had it was time to wash a car or 2.
The Sprint much like the 3 toys of DFB you could hardly say gets very dirty more so weeks of dust and slight brake pad dust but it was long overdue I was getting ocd……..
First off done the wheels calipers with NVPurge - I find it so effective won’t bother using something else till I’m convinced something is much better.
Then it’s NVSnow again this product does the business with ease - soapy slippery having black gives me confidence the spear coat won’t be effected using 2 bucket method.
I have quite a number of products I’ve yet to use and thought it was time to retire bowdens big too thick Pia green sucker and opened up Supercell large drying towel.
To compliment the drying I used Dream Maker sprayed in each sections I wiped down.
The super cell is farfar more effective I found, wiping down gently no matter how much beads was on the duco I was amazed how well it worked, I never rung it out might I add, wiped down the entire Sprint.
Dream Maker applied easily no misting.
Both products I give 10/10.
For years I have quite a few bottles of Michelin Tyre Shine sitting on the shelf.
I used religiously when using the T3 a lot.
It’s a Matt finish applied easily with a small tyre foam block.
Overall a nice productive loving morning.
Don’t ya love that fat rear tyre spread on 20’s.
Drove it last night into the city and back - nothing like a Miami and 6speed stick shift.

How do you like Dream Maker? I'm still undecided on it so far.
Mustang GT

Old 23-03-2022, 10:33 PM   #1433
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have three polishing jobs on the docket next month, so I ordered this item in anticipation.

https://refractccp.com.au/collection...shing-prop-bar

This adjustable prop bar is used to hold doors, bonnets and boot lids open at a certain degree to make polishing these areas easier. One end clips into the lock mechanism, the other slots over the c-clamp.

These are made from anodized aluminum and can range from 310mm out to 460mm. Question is, will it make a difference. I find polishing doors to be the hardest, the lower parts especially. Having the door away from the sill, I'm hoping this might help.
Mustang GT

Old 23-03-2022, 11:08 PM   #1434
prydey
Rob

Its the little things...
Old 24-03-2022, 08:44 AM   #1435
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone tried this? Looks impressive, if it works.

https://nz.rapiddrytowels.com/

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2022, 09:51 AM   #1436
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
How do you like Dream Maker? I'm still undecided on it so far.
It sure seems/feels different applying it - as mentioned I experienced no misting.
The end result the black Sprint was popping.
I took it out for a quick run before dusk last night and got to say it was looking slick.
Old 24-03-2022, 06:47 PM   #1437
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It sure seems/feels different applying it - as mentioned I experienced no misting.
The end result the black Sprint was popping.
I took it out for a quick run before dusk last night and got to say it was looking slick.
I suspect Dream Maker may be a bit touchy with what is underneath it. I have used it and been wowed by the results, on other cars it has been very difficult to wipe off cleanly. This probably a result of me mixing and matching so many different products.

I am ashamed to say I have not driven my XR8 since late January.
Mustang GT

Old 24-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #1438
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Has anyone tried this? Looks impressive, if it works.

https://nz.rapiddrytowels.com/
While I will admit I had not even heard of these towels before, let alone used one, but at 150cm x 75cm seems far too big.

As a towel geek, the lack specs beyond size means I can't comment on how it would perform.

At $75 NZ, I would rather a Rag Company Gauntlet, either several smaller ones or the larger 75cm x 90 cm. At least with these, you can gauge what sort of towel it would be by the GSM and Blend type.

https://carcareco.com.au/product/the...-drying-towel/
Mustang GT

Old 25-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #1439
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
I suspect Dream Maker may be a bit touchy with what is underneath it. I have used it and been wowed by the results, on other cars it has been very difficult to wipe off cleanly. This probably a result of me mixing and matching so many different products.

I am ashamed to say I have not driven my XR8 since late January.
that might the issue DFB whats coated on prior. Something to check up with.
Mine is long overdue for a decontam etc but like yours its garaged more than on the road - sunlight only when it gets out and no rain so whats on sure wouldn't be worn out.
I think the last coat was 845 ??? I'll have to check this.

Hey thats because its at the storage shed right - christ I can't recall when I drove the T3 being its at my other storage place, the parents place lol.......
Old 25-03-2022, 07:09 PM   #1440
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
that might the issue DFB whats coated on prior. Something to check up with.
Mine is long overdue for a decontam etc but like yours its garaged more than on the road - sunlight only when it gets out and no rain so whats on sure wouldn't be worn out.
I think the last coat was 845 ??? I'll have to check this.

Hey thats because its at the storage shed right - christ I can't recall when I drove the T3 being its at my other storage place, the parents place lol.......
I get about 6 - 7 months out of Collinite 845 on a daily driven car. The garage queens can take that out to 12 months and beyond.

In terms of decontamination, it can be hard to gauge whether a babied, garage kept car will need this step. Best way to tell is the "baggie test" -

At this point you then decide to chemically (iron remover) and mechanically (clay) decontaminate.

The XR6 is normally in storage, the XR8 I will not let out of my sight! Every time I get that guilty feeling, for some reason I think of your T3 being stored in a similar manner, as in infrequent use. The XR8 always has a car parked behind it and is always covered, throw in work, other cars and weather (I have not, will not drive it in the rain)............... you know how it is.
Mustang GT