Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Subsidance in Ipswich.

Looks like they finally found the dead heart of Ipswich!

A LARGE black hole appeared in the main intersection of one of Queensland's major regional cities today.

The gaping hole appeared without warning in the road surface at the main intersection in Ipswich, west of Brisbane.

It disrupted traffic and closed off traffic access to the bridge linking the centre to its main shopping precinct in North Ipswich.

City councillor Paul Tully said the hole - which exposed a void under the bitumen the size of a large room - was not related to the city's former coal mines or other subsidence incidents in Ipswich suburbs.

Mr Tully blamed a leaking water main and said motorists have been asked to avoid the city's main intersection at Brisbane and East streets.

Traffic is expected to be disrupted into tomorrow morning, a council spokesman said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-12377,00.html

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I saw this on the news, originally it started out as a hole not much bigger than a man hole and all these guys were lying down looking into it. I half expected it to cave right then and there.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

There has been a bit of speculation it was an old mine. Another claim is that is was caused by a leaking main which has bored out this huge hole.

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 25-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
3vXT

Quote:
If you see a hole, don’t think you’re a mole. Walk in the opposite direction and report your detection.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I saw this on the news, originally it started out as a hole not much bigger than a man hole and all these guys were lying down looking into it. I half expected it to cave right then and there.
Oh man that would've been good. Clean up the gene pool a bit. God knows Ipswich needs it. The whole CBD needs a good hose down. With acid.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Were they digging an Ipswich version of the Lane Cove Tunnel by any chance?
Old 26-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to say they were on to it surprisingly quick. When this sort of thing happens in Brisbane it takes hours for the council to show up. I drove through there last night and this morning and the council is out in force, they have all the streets closed off and police directing traffic through detours; I'm really impressed with how it's being handled.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Have to say they were on to it surprisingly quick. When this sort of thing happens in Brisbane it takes hours for the council to show up. I drove through there last night and this morning and the council is out in force, they have all the streets closed off and police directing traffic through detours; I'm really impressed with how it's being handled.
Not to appear too cynical but perhaps it being reported in the media gets them into gear faster?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
When was the last time something like that happened n Brisbane?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Telstra has been blamed for it, well thats what i read on bigpond.com
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
When was the last time something like that happened n Brisbane?
What, Brisbane has been a hole for years and they still haven't done anything about it
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
What, Brisbane has been a hole for years and they still haven't done anything about it
Better than that inbred city you live in.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
BlackLS
yum

Reminds me of the Simpsons Monorail episode where Homer drives down Main St with a piano on the roof and snow chains on.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Seems the businesses surrounding the 'OLE were saved by th' Yanks, yes the good ol' Septics saved Ippy back in 1944.

Seems just next to the 'OLE theres a stormwater drain. The Yanks, in 1944, put a steel girder above it, beside it or whatever and that has stopped the 'OLE from gettin any bigger which would have sucked in Maccas & a firm of Lawyers n' a couple of vacant shops.

Maccas is just 'chunder on plasterboard' & th' lawyers are one a' dem 'no win no pay' mobs................

So no loss really. :

RTV Power
Old 26-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Hmm. Looks like they've found another way to get rid of Pauline.

Was she down the bottom?