Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Silversurfer

Default La Porchetta founder dies in motorbike crash

Just for those who frequented the Carlton Pizza Shop over the years.

Posted in THE AGE today.

La Porchetta founder dies in motorbike crash MEGAN LEVY
March 26, 2010 - 4:05PM

Rocco 'Rocky' Pantaleo.
The millionaire founder of the La Porchetta pizza restaurant chain has been killed in a motorcycle crash in St Kilda this afternoon.

Rocco "Rocky" Pantaleo, the former Italian migrant turned pizza chef and philanthropist, died when his motorbike collided with a car at the busy St Kilda Junction - a notorious road accident blackspot - about 11.30am.

The crash occurred just 120 metres from the Albert Park racing track, where large crowds have gathered in the precinct ahead of this weekend's Australian Grand Prix.

The busy intersection of St Kilda Road, Fitzroy Street and Barkly Street was closed to traffic for about four hours while officers from the crash investigation unit assessed the scene.

VicRoads warned motorists to expect "severe delays" on streets surrounding the crash site.

Motorists travelling in the area were urged to seek alternative routes, the spokeswoman said.

A local worker said the traffic lights on the corner of Punt and St Kilda roads were not operating and traffic was backing up.

"It's only going to get worse down here," he said. "We're expecting big crowds this afternoon, with the grand prix on over the way," said Evan, a worker at the Pint on Punt Hotel.

A spokeswoman for La Porchetta confirmed that Mr Pantaleo, 53, had been killed in the crash but could not provide any further details.

In 1985, Mr Pantaleo converted a rundown Rathdowne Street restaurant into a popular venue that has spawned an international franchise chain.

Silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a shame, as much as I love motorbikes this is why I will never ride one. Seenand heard waaay to many scary incidents. In fact just the other day I drove past a crash scene, ambo's in full flight attending to this person lying on the side of the road with a bike around 20 metres down next to a car which looked slightly damaged on the front. Hopefully nothing major came of it
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, read this one way, way earlier today and really, it's a damn shame.

I would love a Harley, but would never ride one in the city. Driver ignorance is too great around here. I'd prefer a quiet country road in my retirement to enjoy the experience with less people around me.

For those against migration, Rocco was a shining light of migrants coming here to start a new life and contributing something positive to the community.
Europeans know how to live through good food and good drink.

Stay vigilant people.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

RIP Rocco

As a migrant myself, I wouldnt be using him as a beacon for us though uranium death!

His integrity was somewhat tarnished by the killing of the attacker in "self defence" on Keilor Road Niddrie
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wow, RIP.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

He literally used to live around the corner from my house! JC and I heard a commodore hit the power pole outside his house just before NYE.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

I remember the ad's on the radio. " Heeeeey it's Rocky from La Porchetta"

Shame..
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post