Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Ebola

Hope this turn out to be a false positive, unfortunately it's only going to be a matter of time...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1227085320083

Numerous cases being reported, USA, Spain and now Aust. Surely health authorities need to quarantine all foreigners from leaving the area, for example stay in an isolation/observation camp for 4 weeks before they can leave. As for the locals they will have to stay put, sounds harsh but I don't see any other way.

cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Ebola

Looks like it was a negative on having Ebola.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
dirty hands
Over Thinker

good news for that nurse
-it means we are not safe or immune to this world wide threat
ebola threats /suspect cases can reach australia shores
Old 10-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

I doubt it would be an issue even she was infected. See here on infection rates for Ebola. http://sciencealert.com.au/news/20140910-26305.html
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Unfortunatly, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. These volunteers may have a charitable heart, but it's placing the whole world in grave danger. As said previously, quarantine and given the all clear BEFORE leaving.
Why is this not happening?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Why is this not happening?
We complain about the price of everything. Imagine the cost and civil liberties issues globally if appropriate actions are followed for a threat that most are ignorant of and the actual likelihood of full blown pandemic is remote.
Peoples lives have a cost value to society, and some are more expensive than others, those that make decisions have assessed the cost vs likely death rate and determined no serious action is necessary...yet! like to many things in this day and age the dollar will prevail over life until life is threatened directly and it will possibly be too late.

I don't think we will see this outbreak turn to a pandemic, ebola isn't that nasty and it's hard to transmit if managed by educated and prepared people and it also has a reasonable survival rate compared to the Spanish flue et al. Doesn't mean we should be blasé about it, but those who know more will act advise if necessary and I'm not talking about governments.

JKP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=marty351;5232313]Unfortunatly, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. These volunteers may have a charitable heart, but it's placing the whole world in grave danger. As said previously, quarantine and given the all clear BEFORE leaving.
QUOTE]

It takes healthy people to help prevent the spread of the virus in unhealthy people. These people are our first line of defence and unfortunately they are in grave personal risk to reduce risk to the wider community.

I believe the Nurse in cairns presented herself to authorities rather than risk further infection. I also believe she has been cleared

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

[QUOTE=jpblue1000;5232328]
Quote:
I believe the Nurse in cairns presented herself to authorities rather than risk further infection. I also believe she has been cleared

JP
Don't know about the first bit but you're right on the second point. I agree with your other points in your post too. The world can't just sit back and go "They've got ebola in that country. Lock them in and let them sort it out." That's wrong on a lot of levels.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They need to quarantine everyone leaving those countries for 1 month before they let them out, for the safety of everyone else
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll go with the advice of medical professionals rather than panicked individuals
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Anyone remember how bird flu was going to wipe out tens of thousands of Aussies?

Not trying to dumb it down, but perspective and reality are not being portrayed by the main stream media as usual. Look at the front cover of the Courier Mail this morning as an example (to sell papers).

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Here is an interesting read from one of the men that discovered ebola...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-piot-outbreak

One thing I have noticed is lack of information on how it is transmitted, as far as I am aware and have read its only something to worry about when a victim is showing signs of having it, as opposed to its incubation period where it won't be transmitted....

The hardest thing is can you imagine being quarantined for 28 days? What happens if you don't have it but end up getting it in quarantine because someone else has it?

The biggest threat about this is if it mutates, then it'll be something to be afraid of.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Hope this turn out to be a false positive, unfortunately it's only going to be a matter of time...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1227085320083

Numerous cases being reported, USA, Spain and now Aust. Surely health authorities need to quarantine all foreigners from leaving the area, for example stay in an isolation/observation camp for 4 weeks before they can leave. As for the locals they will have to stay put, sounds harsh but I don't see any other way.
These things tend to die out on their own steam. 6months ago, 1 person died from this outbreak, now its 3000. In 6 months time, there will be (3000 x 3000) 9 million deaths. At this rate, the ebola issue in humans should be bought to a halt, by mid next year.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a thought...I'll happily play Devils Advocate...

How about when people want to travel to those countries in some misguided mania to "help out" we say "no...and if you somehow manage to get there by entering the area through another country, you will not be allowed back in Australia until you have had a lengthy quarantine period somewhere remote".

The west seems hell bent on doing their best to import this disease, when in fact we should recognise the dangers that modern fast air travel can bring and keep ourselves to ourselves and say "thank christ we don't have it here...let's shut down travel to that region and let it burn itself out".

Humans...the only animal that actively tries to expose as many people as possible from safe areas by purposely moving their own people to dangerous disease ridden areas...

Some figures on the "shocking death toll"...how many people have died from Ebola...? 4000, 5000? Do you know how many die each year in Africa from malaria?
Half a million.

So for something as terrible as Ebola, the best...but harshest...solution is to close the borders and let the problem burn itself out. Ebola isn't a very efficient disease...it kills too quickly, isn't air-born, and is fairly hard to catch.

Australia used to once pride itself on being a bastion of remote isolation which was secure from such diseases...now we pride ourselves on chucking as many medical professionals as possible straight into the center of things when we should be keeping ourselves safe.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #15
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
I'll go with the advice of medical professionals rather than panicked individuals
I'm not panicked, just concerned of our future.
All it takes is one.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:22 AM   #16
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Sheep in the dip.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 AM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've been dropping standards for decades now...remember when immigrants to Australia were required to fill out a detailed list of their medical history to ensure they weren't bringing anything nasty here? Now it's a case of "Ah, she'll be right mate...come on in, we can't ask you anything private".

Stuff it...as I said, we used to be a bastion of isolation, but since this throw-open-the-doors, gotta-be-as-soft-as-possible on people coming here, we've had all sorts of issues and outbreaks.

I fail to see anything wrong of discriminatory with banning travel to countries stricken with Ebola or with stopping people who have been there coming back into the country until solidly proven not to be a threat.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #18
Juan Loco

Quote:
Unfortunatly, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. These volunteers may have a charitable heart, but it's placing the whole world in grave danger.
I'm afraid I have to agree.
The world is full of unfortunate souls. By all means go and help them.
The irony is that there are people dying every day from treatable diseases. So go and help them, save lives. If you do pick up something yourself, take the appropriate meds and treatment and you'll be fine and no threat to Australia or anywhere else.

But clearly treating Malaria, Malnutrition, Dysentery, Influenza, Cholera, or the multitude of other treatable infections that plague the 3rd World doesn't feed the "Hero Complex" like putting yourself and others at risk for Ebola.

Alternatively if risking your life is a necessary part of the equation, go to West Africa and STAY there until the outbreak is spent. Don't come rushing home so you can tell all your friends what a hero you've been.

And here's the thing. The biggest danger from Ebola is that are a few confirmed cases in Australia (and elsewhere) compelling governments to take the millions earmarked for Africa and instead spend it quarantining airports and hospitals in Australia.
Juan Loco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #19
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post
Alternatively if risking your life is a necessary part of the equation, go to West Africa and STAY there until the outbreak is spent. Don't come rushing home so you can tell all your friends what a hero you've been
I completely agree with this, every day there is something in the news paper about someone just returned from helping Ebola ravaged countries and towns, and the say how they would happily go again and how it's all worth it helping people. Whether they are doing it to be a hero or to get recognized who knows.
When I read these things I always wonder, have they been checked properly. I simply believe they need to seriously quarantine every person coming from west Africa. Yes I know the majority won't be affected, but if you travel to west Africa you need to accept that you need to be quarantined for a couple of weeks before being allowed home, if you cannot accept this, don't go there.
Just my 2 cents worth
Old 11-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
I completely agree with this, every day there is something in the news paper about someone just returned from helping Ebola ravaged countries and towns, and the say how they would happily go again and how it's all worth it helping people. Whether they are doing it to be a hero or to get recognized who knows.
When I read these things I always wonder, have they been checked properly. I simply believe they need to seriously quarantine every person coming from west Africa. Yes I know the majority won't be affected, but if you travel to west Africa you need to accept that you need to be quarantined for a couple of weeks before being allowed home, if you cannot accept this, don't go there.
Just my 2 cents worth
I wondered that myself a few times...
"So, I notice that you've come home...the problem is solved? Ebola is conquered?"...
"Erm...no".
"Then why are you back here? Shouldn't you still be there helping if you must?"
Old 11-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #21
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I think the real question is when is plague inc going to bring out the 'ebola' expansion?

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Here's a thought...I'll happily play Devils Advocate...

How about when people want to travel to those countries in some misguided mania to "help out" we say "no...and if you somehow manage to get there by entering the area through another country, you will not be allowed back in Australia until you have had a lengthy quarantine period somewhere remote".

The west seems hell bent on doing their best to import this disease, when in fact we should recognise the dangers that modern fast air travel can bring and keep ourselves to ourselves and say "thank christ we don't have it here...let's shut down travel to that region and let it burn itself out".

Humans...the only animal that actively tries to expose as many people as possible from safe areas by purposely moving their own people to dangerous disease ridden areas...

Some figures on the "shocking death toll"...how many people have died from Ebola...? 4000, 5000? Do you know how many die each year in Africa from malaria?
Half a million.

So for something as terrible as Ebola, the best...but harshest...solution is to close the borders and let the problem burn itself out. Ebola isn't a very efficient disease...it kills too quickly, isn't air-born, and is fairly hard to catch.

Australia used to once pride itself on being a bastion of remote isolation which was secure from such diseases...now we pride ourselves on chucking as many medical professionals as possible straight into the center of things when we should be keeping ourselves safe.
redneck much

keep plucking those strings banjo boy
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
redneck much

keep plucking those strings banjo boy

I agree with you that he probably could have put it in a nicer way, but you have to admit that if they did what he said there would be far slimmer chance of Ebola making it to Australia
Old 11-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously said by someone young enough to not remember what the country used to be like...someone wanted to import fruit from overseas, the idea was immediately laughed out of the room without a second thought.Now it's "Well why not?". Bring in animals from overseas or meat? Used to be treated the same. Now, "Why not?".
We used to require strict medical proof that people coming to live here had no medical issues that we needed to know about, but again in the interests of "being fair" we had to throw all that out the door and let anyone in with no restrictions.

What, I might ask, makes you a redneck about requiring simple things like that...?
6 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

such a simplistic, in humane outlook on the topic

clap clap for you
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #26
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Try getting a dog, cat, cow, horse virtually any animal or a seed pod into Australia and the quarantine/customs people are all over you like a rash.

People coming from a known infected part of the world, come this way and straight through, put loads airline passengers at risk no problem - talk about double standards.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #27
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Try getting a dog, cat, cow, horse virtually any animal or a seed pod into Australia and the quarantine/customs people are all over you like a rash.

People coming from a known infected part of the world, come this way and straight through, put loads airline passengers at risk no problem - talk about double standards.
So your suggestion is to treat people like dogs?
Old 13-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #28
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by karj View Post
So your suggestion is to treat people like dogs?
No, my suggestion is to manage the problem, ensure people leaving the infected areas are (quarantined for 3-4 weeks) before being allowed to leave.

Now a second Ebola case reported in the US, a person that was treating the 1st case (who is now dead) seems to have contracted Ebola. I wonder if the new person was kept in isolation or allowed to roam through the streets whilst being infected?

BTW, some dogs are treated better than some people, some dogs have more intelligence and loyalty than some people too, just saying!

Most dogs in Australia get feed 2-3 times a day, whilst there are millions of people on the planet who don't. Would you treat those people like our dogs?
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #29
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

My dog gets treated better than some treat their children. . .
Old 13-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #30
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

At least it isn't engineered to kill only dumb people. Then I'd be in trouble.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: