Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Byron Bay tragedy...

I cant imagine the bourdon the poor kid that was driving the car near Byron bay will have to carry for the rest of his life. Another tragic sad story born on our roads. Four dead mates. God help him. Deepest thoughts to the families of the deceased.

Old 22-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

What happened?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20625364-2,00.html
Old 22-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

that young retard needs to be hung by his balls and left to die... I cant stand the amount of young kids being wiped out because there stupid young mate cant drive and has a car load of kids in the car doing high speeds etc etc....
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
that young retard needs to be hung by his balls and left to die... I cant stand the amount of young kids being wiped out because there stupid young mate cant drive and has a car load of kids in the car doing high speeds etc etc....
Thats a bit harsh. He is in a power of sh1t as it is, plus the guilt. Five lives ruined. But I do see where you are coming from.
Old 22-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We don't know the cause yet,
So you cant just assume that
speed was the factor
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a typical P-plater biting more than he can chew. Know the limitations of your vehicle, and more importantly... YOUR limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous
speed was the factor
Ok, say he was being a good boy and driving at the speed limit. What possibly could cause that catastrophy (sp?)?
A roo was crossing the road?
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

dont know the exact reasons why they crashed.. but i would put a bit of money on it saying that it is most likely the cause of the stack.
I am harsh about this sort of stuff, and i really dont feel sorry for this kid.
Just think about what he has done, not just to the kids... but to there families & freinds.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
dont know the exact reasons why they crashed.. but i would put a bit of money on it saying that it is most likely the cause of the stack.
I am harsh about this sort of stuff, and i really dont feel sorry for this kid.
Just think about what he has done, not just to the kids... but to there families & freinds.
Just think what he is thinking about what he has done to the families and friends. There are no winners here. If he has booze in his system he will looking at jail time. And rightly so.
Old 22-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He'll get gaol time anyway, negligent homicide of four people will get him a nice stint in the grey bar hotel.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
nitroman
nitroman

I just had a heated argument with the missus about this event. I reckon if the driver had proper driver education and knew how to drive a car properly these people wouldn't be dead today. She said "so where does the money come from?" I said "from the fuel excise tax and stamp duty we get no excuses for!" she says "I don't think it makes any difference when you are 18" I say" Well it's like an inexperienced snow skiier hitting the advanced slopes with no skiing knowledge, they are going to crash!"
She's not talking to me now.
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous
speed was the factor
Exactly. I think that the driver being 17 has led to people drawing conclusions before all facts are known.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Exactly. I think that the driver being 17 has led to people drawing conclusions before all facts are known.
True, but its not looking good for him.
Old 22-10-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

another commodore wrapped around a tree....

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #15
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
What possibly could cause that catastrophy (sp?)?

INEXPERIENCE!
Not knowing what has caused the accident, but many situations can challange a young and inexperienced driver to a point where they may react incorrectly.

Weather, animals, road condition, mechanical failure, etc are all factors which lie outside a drivers control, BUT the accidental result may vary depending on the drivers experience and education.

My condolocens to all the families that have been affected by accidents.

I hope sooner rather than later, the call for better driver education rather than more spped cameras will be heard by the people in charge!

I support the call for mandatory defence driving courses, mandatory driving lessons which professional driving instructors, mandatory driver education in various weather and road conditions, etc etc

Please drive safe!
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #16
fmc351
let it burn

Most roads around Byron Bay are shockers (except the highway and couple main roads), the surfaces are rough, the lanes narrow, greasy in the wet, mossy in places. Pick one, any one. Most young drivers enjoy the bends and hills. Its a recipe for disaster.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #17
woodsy109

My cousin died in a car accident last year. He was 18. He wasn't drunk or speeding. They had stopped for a rest less than 50km down the road. We still don't know what happened except that he crossed into the path of another car. Luckily his passenger and the occupants of the other car survived.

Don't be to quick to judge this guy. Sometime accidents just happen.

edit: I'm not saying inexperience couldn't have been a factor. Better driver education could only help in these situations.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #18
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroman
I I reckon if the driver had proper driver education and knew how to drive a car properly these people wouldn't be dead today. She said "so where does the money come from?"
The driver themselves should pay for it as part of their licence. A mandatory safe/advanced driving course should be the norm along with a dozen or so of those so-called driving lessons. If you can't afford that, then you can't afford to run a car at today's costs. And if it has to be done bit by bit because it can't be afforded all at once, then it gives a potential hot-head time to sit and reflect on what he or she has learnt before the next lesson.

And i'm in no way pointing this in the direction of the current tradgedy. that is just a horrible nightmare.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

driver ed from primary school to leaving, only answer, money is not the issue, its gutless government both state and federal.the huge revenue from petrol and rego has never been used ,not even to keep roads upgraded as was the excuse used in the 70's when introduced onto the Australian public.now Howard government brags about no debt and an extra 40 billion $ in revenue from GST that they say was unexpected bonus,
what excuse do they still use to explain lack of enough dual lane hiways and no dividers to stop head on's, mountain roads kept in good repair, and lots of other things that effect road safety, you guessed it NO MONEY.crap they just keep spending or (not spending) on the wrong things,its about time the states and federal stop blaming each other and start putting the money where it is really needed.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #20
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I think some people on here are jumping to conclutions a bit, the other day i was driving my das work courier 4 Cylinder Auto, three times on the way home it stepped out on me in the wet, one of those times was above 60Km/h, i could easily ended up around a tree if not for a quick reactions.

Would you be saying the same about me if i had another 4 mates in the car?

Sure it doesn't look good and the odds are that he was being an idiot, but lets not judge him before we know the facts, he going to be feeling pretty aveage as it is having just lost 4 of his mate and knowing he was at the wheel, whether it was his fault or not.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #21
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is not our place to judge this boy mainly because we don't have all the facts...
Why not just simply think about how those poor family members and friends of the dead teens are feeling...

My heart goes out to them all with the loss of their loved ones.. I do feel a bit sorry for the boy driving as he now has to live with the tragedy playing over in his mind for the rest of his life... I will hold back on any thoughts though until the FACTS are known..

R.I.P

**Driver education should be and absolutely must be made compulsory.

Maybe the Government could subsidise the courses and lessons and the parents foot the rest of the bill.... I know I am trying to save up so that my teen can have a professional teach him to drive and then I want to get him through as many courses as possible...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard on the news tha Mr Scruby has jumped on the bandwagon demanding that the p plate age be raised to 18.
http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancou...sp?PageID=1902

RIP and condolences to those involved.
Tote
Old 23-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #23
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
I heard on the news tha Mr Scruby has jumped on the bandwagon demanding that the p plate age be raised to 18.
http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancou...sp?PageID=1902
what will that do????

you have both idiot/under experienced drivers (im one of them too) and stupid polies or whoever scruby is trying to seem like the big hero.

all there needs to be is DRIVER EDUCATION made mandatory after or during the L plates stage and imposing people out in rural areas where theres 1 straight road and thats all travel to more built up areas to learn (subsidised by governement) now wouldnt it be better to spend $50 to go to the city to learn or $5000 for a coffin and funeral costs?????? you tell me

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #24
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy109
My cousin died in a car accident last year. He was 18. He wasn't drunk or speeding. They had stopped for a rest less than 50km down the road. We still don't know what happened except that he crossed into the path of another car. Luckily his passenger and the occupants of the other car survived.

Don't be to quick to judge this guy. Sometime accidents just happen.

edit: I'm not saying inexperience couldn't have been a factor. Better driver education could only help in these situations.
Sounds like you cousin got confused with the lane markings as you say he had just pulled out from the curb.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #25
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I cant imagine the bourdon the poor kid that was driving the car near Byron bay will have to carry for the rest of his life. Another tragic sad story born on our roads. Four dead mates. God help him. Deepest thoughts to the families of the deceased.
My sentiments exactly mate. We all make mistakes. Again the road has become the theatre for playing out the tragic mistakes of the young. We get free tickets, but the families/friends left behind to nurse their agony for the remainder of their lives pay the most expensive admission.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #26
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #27
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Good post OBJ and i'd like to echo your sentiments. Hopefully these 4 young australians can rest in peace.

A little disappointing to note that memebers are so quick to judge and call for action to be taken when the facts are yet to be revealed (if ever they will). There are families mourning, perhaps spare them a thought before you use the situation to leverage a political agenda regarding road usage policy.

I assume all the people calling for mandatory driver education will of course be participating as well? Of course not... they're all perfect drivers... always someone else isnt it...
Old 23-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #28
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
My sentiments too , Outbackjack . You never forget , even when it's not your fault ,(32 years for me).

Raising the age to 18 will do NOTHING , all you'll get is an Inexperienced 18 y/o instead of a Inexperienced 17 y/o . If it was 25 . still the same , better education is the only way to go.

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #29
red_hotxr6
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Most roads around Byron Bay are shockers (except the highway and couple main roads), the surfaces are rough, the lanes narrow, greasy in the wet, mossy in places. Pick one, any one. Most young drivers enjoy the bends and hills. Its a recipe for disaster.
All the more reason,as an inexperince driver, to SLOW down and take it easy.There may be bends, narrow lanes, it may be wet and greasy whatever,but there must be speed signs along the way, follow the road rules. The ones that you had to learn before you got your licence, follow the instructions that the instructor showed you before you went for your test.
I am not the most perfect driver however i do think my xr6 is a powerful car, all 164 kws of it, however i follow these simple rules and i still have all my points on my licence.I do hope for this young guys sake that something caused him to do something that he had no control over.Condolences all round to family and friends for their very tragic loss.Lets hope that family and friends give them the total support they need in their hour of grief.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #30
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

As usual this tragedy highlights two simple and inescapable facts.

1. We place our young onto poorly maintained and designed roads with barely enough skills to know when to kiss their asses goodbye.

2. Other young will continue to get into cars with their young and inexperienced mates in the vaguely forlorn hope that they know what they are doing. They don't.

Until we (as a society) stop accepting these two things as being normal and determine to actually do something about them we will continue to see such headlines.

It's not just government either. They are responsible for the road condition but parents have a responsibility to do their bit in both the driver education area and in educating their teens about travelling in cars with their "mates". You can't force them to learn but you can try. It comes with the job.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post