Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Private car sales..Test driving

I was just wondering what the legalities of private car sale test drives would be as soon I will be test driving some cars and eventually someone will have to test drive mine when I sell it.

If the unfortunate happens and you crash the car your test driving does insurance (comprehensive) cover you so long as the owner is in the car? Yes I know it is very unlikely but would be good to know.

MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It depends on the owner's insurance cover, and what clauses are in their insurance policy.
Old 22-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i was just wondering if anyone knew so I could avoid a phone call, as no one likes dealing with insurance companies unless they have to. I'm not stupid, I know if someone drives a car by themselves they want to wind it out and so they should, to see if it's suitable for them. So long as they ain't be stupid like doing burnouts, and handbrake turns.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Stampy

AAMI :States that you the owner must be a passanger in the car or your car is not covered
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
AAMI :States that you the owner must be a passanger in the car or your car is not covered
that sound about right so far i knew when my parents went to get my sister car the owner of the car sat next to my dad during the test drive
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's sensible to accompany the test driver - stops them from stealing it too. Open the car yourself, unlock the driver's door for them if needed and hand them the keys only when you are in the car. Get the keys off the driver before exiting the car.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
Bugger if your car gets stolen then, eh? :P
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
BlackLS

Also some insurance companies don't allow under 30s in an older driver's insurance terms.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate off mine had his car for sale quite a few years ago. This dude rocks up in an old car and asks if he can drive the one for sale. My mate tossed him the keys and never saw his car again ... was left with the old car which was worthless.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Yeah, always go with them on the test drive. My Dad was selling my mum's old car and some guy test driving it was riding the clutch at lights, which my Dad noticed. He HATES that, so when they got back to the yard, and the guy started saying how much he liked it, and was willing to go get the cash to pay for it right then, my Dad told him it wasn't for sale anymore.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

wait, so your dad wouldn't sell the car because the guy was riding the clutch?
why?

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #12
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a modified car insurance policy through a broker, and they only covered pre-approved nominated drivers to drive the vehicle, regardless of age.

Selling it was a bugger, as the potential buyers did not want the risk, and I was up front about the status of insurance.
Old 22-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #13
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
wait, so your dad wouldn't sell the car because the guy was riding the clutch?
why?
Because he had rebuilt the car, and redone the gearbox after it was stolen and damaged, and he knew from the way the guy was driving, that he would wreck it pretty quickly, so he told the guy to get lost, and sold it a few weeks later to someone who showed more respect for it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #14
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Simply give your insurer a ring and ask. Shouldnt be a problem if you are with them during the drive. If you give someone the keys its not regarded as stolen, 'borrowed' is different and if they are under 25 it may not be covered. Most insurance companies will have a clause about declaring under 25 drivers. If they are over this shouldnt be a problem. Larger companies like Racv do not need a designated driver on the insurance forms if you are with them. If you are not and they trash it, there may be complications. 'small print'
It is better to email though cos you get a response in writting and they are bit more careful on how its worded.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post