Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
max
LWBforME

Default 3G mobiles

I will need to replace my mobile soon. Whilst my present phone has served me well, it is on the CDMA network which will be phased out in the near future. It would seem a good thing to get a 3G with their inherent features. Trouble is, when I read pages and pages of reviews, it becomes quite clear that the principle drawback with most of them is abysmal battery life. In many cases 48 hours max. before you have to re-charge. Is there any weight of evidence out there about this problem or other experiences/advice or reassurance?

max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

My LG U880 last me close to 4 days normally. It depends how much you mock around with the MP3 player, camera, video, games, internet etc...
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

My Motoroal v3x willl last 4 days as well but if you surf the net on it uses the battery up pretty fast

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
My Motoroal v3x willl last 4 days as well but if you surf the net on it uses the battery up pretty fast
A Motorola v3x is one of my preferences because of its 2 megapixel camera and I also like the Sony Ericsson K750i. I mainly use the phone for talk (funny about that) but with a halfway decent camera that would be useful. What annoys me wth the v3x is for speakerphone you have to jab two or three buttons on the menu to turn it on. On my old phone, there is a button on the keypad specifically for speakerphone. Very handy whilst driving (cough cough), no need to even look over at the phone, I know where the speaker button is by feel. I know you can get Blue Ant and all that but you have to cart it from car to car, too much hassle.
Old 16-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

The 2 migapixel camera was the reason I got the Motorola v3x, it even has a little slider button for focus for those close up shots

Now speaker is only one button, when you call or are calling some one you just press the speaker button and the speaker function turns on.

Its the top right hand button which its function is displayed on the screen. When I am not calling anyone this button is used for phone book. You can custom any menu button on the Motorola v3x to do any function.

I was a Nokia fan and I wanted the Nokia 6280 but at the time you could only get it on 3G and I didn't want it locked into any specific phone company...wanted to use other sims in it....

But as with changing Manufactures of phones you will need to learn to operate them differently
eg I changed from Nokia to Motorola

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 16-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Absolutely Motorola V3X, about 4 days, as long as you don't use the features too much. But you can even charge them on your pc, once you install Phonetools. And the memory card is a good feature over the V3. Doesn't come with the phone though. Uses a Transflash Card. Mine is a 1gig.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
max
LWBforME

Quote:
The 2 migapixel camera was the reason I got the Motorola v3x, it even has a little slider button for focus for those close up shots

Now speaker is only one button, when you call or are calling some one you just press the speaker button and the speaker function turns on.

Its the top right hand button which its function is displayed on the screen. When I am not calling anyone this button is used for phone book. You can custom any menu button on the Motorola v3x to do any function.

I was a Nokia fan and I wanted the Nokia 6280 but at the time you could only get it on 3G and I didn't want it locked into any specific phone company...wanted to use other sims in it....

But as with changing Manufactures of phones you will need to learn to operate them differently
eg I changed from Nokia to Motorola
So have they upgraded the v3x to make speakerphone one button press?
Also I've heard it has voice-dialling?
Old 16-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Yes, it has voice dialing, and works a treat with a bluetooth car kit. Just press a button, clearly say the name in your phonebook, and the phone does the rest. I have the Motorola HF850 installed in the car. Audio is through the factory system.
Old 16-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would also consider the Nokia N series 3G phones. If i use mine JUST as a phone (N70) I get around a week out of it. If i use Camera/Mp3/Radio/Sync with Pc etc, that does drop substantially, down to around 48 hours. Just remember to get a 3G sim card otherwise it wont utilise all the available features. (Well this is the case with Optus anyway) It has a 2megapixel camera, but the new ones, come with a 3mega pixel camera.

These reviews are from a UK site, so most of the whinging may be irrelevant!

Nokia N80 Review

Nokia N70 Review

Motorola V3x Review

Sony K750 Review

LGU880 Review

Last edited by Martyvan; 16-06-2006 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added Links....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfin
Yes, it has voice dialing, and works a treat with a bluetooth car kit. Just press a button, clearly say the name in your phonebook, and the phone does the rest. I have the Motorola HF850 installed in the car. Audio is through the factory system.
Hey Redfin whats the quality of the HF850? I'm thinking of getting one, but just want to make sure the clarity is good and that it works well with the factory stereo.
Btw, I'm another one who has a V3x and so far I'm very happy with it. Only really use it for talking and texting but the camera on it is great. Not sure about max battery life as I normally re-charge every second night or so - hate to be out somewhere knowing I'm down to yellow battery strength!
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

I just got a Nokia N70 about 2 weeks ago, I only got as it had a 2Mb pixel and I like the way it looked not sure about the rest of the feature not sure if I will use them. So far it is only last about 32Hrs before recharge. but I use it for about 4 hours a day.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #12
MYT
Cruizn in my 'lane

I've gone throught two so far, a Sony Ericsson Z800 and i've now got a Nokia 6280. The Sony lasted 6 days before going flat and so far the Nokia is lasting around 4 days.
MYT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Hey Redfin whats the quality of the HF850? I'm thinking of getting one, but just want to make sure the clarity is good and that it works well with the factory stereo.
Btw, I'm another one who has a V3x and so far I'm very happy with it. Only really use it for talking and texting but the camera on it is great. Not sure about max battery life as I normally re-charge every second night or so - hate to be out somewhere knowing I'm down to yellow battery strength!
The HF850 is excellent dude. Good quality reception, and once it's paired it connects itself each time you turn the ignition on. Get it fitted properly though, most good audio fitters will know the drill. I got mine for $115.00 off ebay. The blue illumination looks great with the XR dash.
Old 16-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
harpsta
I6 LICKS

V3x's are nice!! V3's have always been one button speaker phone. The buttons on V3 change functions depending on what the phone is doing. Pretty standard these days. I have had a V3 since they first came out and no probs so I think the V3x's should be great considering they are the next gen.
harpsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
I would also consider the Nokia N series 3G phones. If i use mine JUST as a phone (N70) I get around a week out of it. If i use Camera/Mp3/Radio/Sync with Pc etc, that does drop substantially, down to around 48 hours. Just remember to get a 3G sim card otherwise it wont utilise all the available features. (Well this is the case with Optus anyway) It has a 2megapixel camera, but the new ones, come with a 3mega pixel camera.

These reviews are from a UK site, so most of the whinging may be irrelevant!

Nokia N80 Review

Nokia N70 Review

Motorola V3x Review

Sony K750 Review

LGU880 Review
Thanks for these.
Well I kinda like the Nokia slider I must say. I have a Kyocera Slider now
and actually prefer it to a clam-shell but....
Old 16-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #16
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
The HF850 is excellent dude. Good quality reception, and once it's paired it connects itself each time you turn the ignition on. Get it fitted properly though, most good audio fitters will know the drill. I got mine for $115.00 off ebay. The blue illumination looks great with the XR dash.
Here is how it looks in car. But mount it where you want it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00857 (Medium).JPG (56.7 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by ORSM T; 16-06-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 16-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #17
max
LWBforME

very nice......
Old 16-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #18
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

i didnt get the slider phone as I wanted my screen protected (v3x Flip Phone) when it is in my pocked just in case I put my keys or coins in there at the same time.

Plus I look so cool fliping it when some one calls :

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Old 17-06-2006, 02:35 AM   #19
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here is how it looks in car. But mount it where you want it.
Jeez, didn't realise the unit was that small! I have an AU so the dash colours won't match quite as well but it still looks the goods. It auto-mutes the stereo doesn't it? When you're on the phone, does the sound come out of the stereo speakers or out of a seperate speaker?
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The current 3G network will only ever work in the cities. The new 3G/850 network will work anywhere where there is now CDMA coverage. It will start to be available in October this year.

The first handsets are a bit ordinary. This will change as more are approved.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #21
max
LWBforME

Quote:
i didnt get the slider phone as I wanted my screen protected (v3x Flip Phone) when it is in my pocked just in case I put my keys or coins in there at the same time.

Plus I look so cool fliping it when some one calls :
Hmmmmm.....
Old 17-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #22
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

i just got the SAMSUNG SGH-Z510. and it is mad, its as thin as the V3 but not as old and dosent have all the problems that they are notorius (sp?) for.
plus the software and data cable that you get with it is mad...

chicks love the white fones too....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I got the Nokia 6280. It's awsome. I went through 6 phones in 12 months then I got this one. I don't think I'll be changing it anytime soon. 2MP camera, vga cam on front for video calls, 4 days bat life with bluetooth on, answering and making the occasional text and call. Although, the 3G coverage, I can't say much of: I've had as many dropouts and not picking up reception on my GSM phones....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #24
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Jeez, didn't realise the unit was that small! I have an AU so the dash colours won't match quite as well but it still looks the goods. It auto-mutes the stereo doesn't it? When you're on the phone, does the sound come out of the stereo speakers or out of a seperate speaker?
Auto mutes the factory sound system, and uses the factory sound system, Pearler of a unit.