Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-02-2024, 06:08 PM   #10
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 'Electronic safety assistance actually makes driving more dangerous' - your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txXH9_lNZ7o

Any experiences, good or bad? Did it save you? Did it annoy you?

I think electronic driving aids fall into two categories. Those that work and are good. Those that need more work and trigger needlessly.

Take ABS/ESC. I know for a fact that a good driver can outperform ABS/ECS. I have seen it done in advanced driver training by professional drivers and (at the end of my training) I too was able to beat ABS in braking distance by a small margin. But that was in controlled conditions when I knew exactly what to expect and I had been primed for the conditions.

A few weeks ago, on a dark and wet night, I was travelling up Corodelia St, South Brisbane in the right hand lane. A pedestrian on the RHS - with headphones on and looking ahead (no traffic on that part of the one-way street) - randomly decided now would be a good time to cross the street. Without looking behind her, stepped off the curb just in front of me. This triggered a startled response out of me and without thinking I completely mashed the brake to the floor as hard as I could. Thanks to the ABS & ECS, we pulled up in time. The car tracked straight and didn't follow the camber of the road into a waiting power pole. Saved by the electronics.

When I had the Outlander PHEV, I had a love hate relationship with its collision avoidance. It would needlessly trigger at a curve in Gympie Rd at Aspley (perhaps the steel traffic lights spoofed it). But it saved my bacon bigtime on the Gateway at Nudgee. The left had lanes were slowing down due to merging traffic. I was spending too much time watching my rearview mirror. Then an impatient driver pulled out of the left hand lane, into my lane. I just didn’t see it at all. Fortunately, the Outlander PHEV collision avoidance screamed at me and then slammed on the brakes. Giving me just enough time to swerve into the shoulder. Saved by the electronics again.

But I do get it that some of the electronic drivers aids are rubbish. The Toyota Corolla that I occasionally rented would spend its time gently oscillating from the left to the right of its lane on a well marked freeway. Same car would also occasionally verbally admonish with a voice in the cabin to obey the road rules, with the display saying that the speed limit as 70 kph when it was clearly sign posted at 90 kph. The Hyundai crapbox something rental would just randomly tug hard at the wheel.

But the electronics that really gets up my nose is the stop/start systems.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: