Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 20-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #31
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 540
Good to hear the old girl still got it in her Craig, even w/out all the go fast bits. I didnt think it would be out for retirement yet...
Yeh, I think it's your CAI that's making the difference!
Old 20-09-2005, 11:54 PM   #32
gtfpv
GT

as i keep saying all these xr8's are whippin gt 290's something is just not right.i am not a dragster or racer but i'm sure some people with gt's are . so i don't get it.wish i new why . the 6 speed man mkii has 3.46 diff and will do 110 kms /hr in second .has more top end urge , so what's the go here.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #33
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
as i keep saying all these xr8's are whippin gt 290's something is just not right.i am not a dragster or racer but i'm sure some people with gt's are . so i don't get it.wish i new why . the 6 speed man mkii has 3.46 diff and will do 110 kms /hr in second .has more top end urge , so what's the go here.
I've got a mki XR8 manual and will hit the limiter in 2nd at approx. 110 and at about 167 in 3rd. Haven't found anywhere off street to find the limiter in 4th yet....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #34
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Trust me the 290's are a better motor in due time they will show there true colours as Mark(XRFPV8) said has alot to do with the drivers, there alot more younger people in the 260's (more gung ho) than the 290's also the 290 sedans with edit etc etc do have a bit of trouble keeping the driveline in one piece on the strip, possibly put a few GT owners off but get someone in a 290 ute with the same attitude as some of us 260 owners look out low 12's now worries.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #35
Chris
AFF.com.au

290's will run 11's unopened.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #36
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Oh well i was being conservitive then lol.
Old 21-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #37
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:
Before a 260...I don't think so!
Old 21-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #38
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Hi Chris, How long do think before we see more than 1 or 2 do this?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #39
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
The problem is the guys who i know who take there GT's out to the track haven't set up the vechile for the 1/4.The cars are basically stock in tyre and suspension ect...........If a properly set -up BOSS 290 equipped with all the right gear will run low 12's to high 11's.Looking at the terminal speeds of the BOSS 290's is very promising.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 11:54 PM   #40
gtfpv
GT

very interesting and thanks chris. i was only going off i think it was the motor mags 13.77 for the gt that had 244rwkw stock. so i take it you seen them then . cheers .if i wasn't such an old 36 year old fart with a misses who'd want a divorce if i came home from the strip in a cab . i'd give it a go myself . but then again i'd probably embarrass myself and pull a cool 15 or something.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 10:39 AM   #41
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking Untuned

13.559 @ 102.8mph last night at WSID was my best for a BA XR8 with just exhaust and CAI.
Old 20-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #42
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Hi Chris, How long do think before we see more than 1 or 2 do this?
There aren't many 260 campaigners that are all that hungry, or 290 for that matter.

When you make a plan and design a setup to aim for a particular number, the customer and vendor need to understand the goals of the vehicle, the finances, the upsides and downsides, and keep it all in check with reality.

The reality in this instance is that it looks like a 290 is capable of hauling a 1800kg car to an 11 sec pass.

Our 290 project which is DABOSS's auto GT's first time out with our airbox, inlet pipe, underdrive pulleys, difillipo large primary stainless system went 13.19 at heathcote in less than ideal conditions, and backed it up with a 13.17.

It was making 266rwkw at the time, it is now making 277.

Im guessing with a baby converter (customer wants PRIMO driveability retained) and some diff gears, a 12.2 or 3 should be a snack. Then we have

suspension
more exhaust R and D
ignition mods
a few tricks here and there

so there is a lot of scope with an unopened 290. The 260 i think will be at its unopened limit at a mid 12 unless something is done about the weight of the car.

Not forgetting my ute - with the larger converter it went its fastest ever to the half before hurting the auto, so in reality if we put a 4000 converter with a lock up in it, a low 1.7 60 in the GT will be academic. Then we may see 11's.

This is a work in progress ATM, so we will keep you guys informed.

Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #43
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up Ba

Quote:

Not forgetting my ute - with the larger converter it went its fastest ever to the half before hurting the auto, so in reality if we put a 4000 converter with a lock up in it, a low 1.7 60 in the GT will be academic. Then we may see 11's.

Chris
Chris mate, keep up the great work. I still remember the vision of Mad Kiwi's car from inside. Dumping the clutch at 5000-6000rpm then staying within the 5500-7000rpm rev range. He's obviously got the right hardware & setup under him, also the cams. With the same application in the Boss engined cars there's no reason why the Falcons can't match the Commodore's times. With enthusiasts like you, we'll be there soon, time will tell.
Old 20-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #44
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomXR8
13.559 @ 102.8mph last night at WSID was my best for a BA XR8 with just exhaust and CAI.
Good effort Criag, I remember some time back Rodderz steered old Rays Phantom BA XR8 even had the same mods as yours 13.61.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #45
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Default Ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Good effort Criag, I remember some time back Rodderz steered old Rays Phantom BA XR8 even had the same mods as yours 13.61.
Yep, the good old days Mark. I was hoping to crack a 1.9 60' but could only get a 2.007. There's more in it with the Toyo's on, was only launching around 3000rpm. The big thing used to launch at around 4000rpm, I'm too worried about breakage these days. A perfect run with a 4000rpm launch would see a low 13.5 or high 13.4, that would be about it I think.
Old 20-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #46
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Great effort Craig watched that launch from behind you could tell it was a good one, must have been fun beating that 290 with zorst/edit/cai. Your old girl has some ticker with just those mods.
Old 20-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #47
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome work mate. Don't you have the ute? That's incredible traction to get those times.

I'm getting 102mph but can't run my ute under 14. The *** end just dances on take off and gear 1-2 change.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #48
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
Awesome work mate. Don't you have the ute? That's incredible traction to get those times.

I'm getting 102mph but can't run my ute under 14. The *** end just dances on take off and gear 1-2 change.
Phantoms car is a sedan.
Old 20-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #49
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle

Nah, as Wade says, it's a sedan. The traction comes from a decent set of tyres. There are better ones out there but these will bite even with a 4000rpm launch, they warm up quickly. Keep up the effort, the more the merrier!
Old 20-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #50
hot460

Quote:

Great work Craig, you obviously remembered how too change 3rd to 4th. Lol :
wish I was there, just going too have to wait a couple of weeks for the next outing. Bugger. Unfortunatly have a fishing comp in Nth Queensland next week.
That car of yours is a goer (untuned). I wish my tuned car could match it. Good stuff mate!
Old 20-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #51
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot460
Great work Craig, you obviously remembered how too change 3rd to 4th. Lol :
wish I was there, just going too have to wait a couple of weeks for the next outing. Bugger. Unfortunatly have a fishing comp in Nth Queensland next week.
That car of yours is a goer (untuned). I wish my tuned car could match it. Good stuff mate!
Yeh Rich, I was disappointed when Wade said you weren't coming. I was looking forward to another stoush with you. I had to settle for a FPV ute instead, he was a little easier than you were. I was doing fine until I stirred up a hornet's nest.....took on Wade didn't I! Got him going though, he got another PB, he's going great guns. Mine also clicked over to 100000kms this arvo on the way home from work, it's a senior like yours.
Old 20-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #52
hot460

The older the cars get the better they seem they go. Unlike me, the older I get the better I was!
See you out there next time and I,d love too go at it again. I've been practicing my reaction times! :
Wades going off! amazing that there isnt much difference in speed at the end of the track, but that first 660' he flies. e
Old 20-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #53
rodderz

That XR8 of yours still getting a caning Craig!

Is the plans for a dedicated racer still being drawn up?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #54
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
That XR8 of yours still getting a caning Craig!

Is the plans for a dedicated racer still being drawn up?
How are ya Rod! Yeh, got an engine(EFI I6) and a T5 box, just looking for a Cortina to shoe horn it into. Will spruce the stock engine up to get it through EPA, then plonk a head on it and strip out the car, presto......hoon machine.
Old 21-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #55
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
How are ya Rod! Yeh, got an engine(EFI I6) and a T5 box, just looking for a Cortina to shoe horn it into. Will spruce the stock engine up to get it through EPA, then plonk a head on it and strip out the car, presto......hoon machine.
How about a xr6T conversion into it............Should go alright one would think.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #56
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
How about a xr6T conversion into it............Should go alright one would think.
Too much hassle with the sump Leigh, they have bolts coming in from the side on the sump. The older EFI I6's take the OHV crossflow sump with minor modification.
Old 22-10-2005, 01:36 PM   #57
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Too much hassle with the sump Leigh, they have bolts coming in from the side on the sump. The older EFI I6's take the OHV crossflow sump with minor modification.
Will all the gear bolt up to the older engine.
Old 22-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #58
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:
Will all the gear bolt up to the older engine.
The older engine and gearbox are out of there! Late model EFI I6 and T5 are going in, also a Microtech computer to fine tune things.
Old 22-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #59
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
The older engine and gearbox are out of there! Late model EFI I6 and T5 are going in, also a Microtech computer to fine tune things.
Will the T gear fit up to that engine going in.
Old 23-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #60
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Quote:
Will the T gear fit up to that engine going in.
It's a Falcon EFI I6 and a T5 5 speed box, standard Falcon stuff. That engine and box bolts straight into Cortina with some mods to firewall.