Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
gregtomfred

Default Thermo Fan Auxilary Switch

Is it possible to fit an overide switch to the thermo fans on an AU3 6 Cyl. sedan.
The vehicle seems to be getting hot when towing an 18' C/Van.
Fans do not appear to cut in at present until vehicle is doing 60kmh, and run all the time while under this speed.
I would like to be able to switch the fans on while towing on the highway at 80-90 KMH/
Is this possible, & what is involved in doing this mod?
:
Thanks
Greg

gregtomfred is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know with a flash tuner, you can set it to a lower temperature to start, but i doubt with would be too hard to wire something up.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I think you have something wrong with your cooling system.
I have towed very heavy loads long distance with E/A/B series 6 cylinder Falcons and have never had any cooling troubles.

Your radiator is likely in bad condition as the fans are only needed when travelling below 60kph anyway. Above 60kph, the wind speed is far greater than the electric fans can supply.

A bigger transmission cooler wouldn't hurt either.
Old 15-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agree with SOX, i did a trip with van in tow up north covered 4500 k`s air con running no problems during summer, perhaps there is a problem some where.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
EvilChief
Boost Addict

check if teh hea dtemp sensor works correctly for starters and if ur cool conc is accurate and ur cap is in good nick, then to answer ur question yes it is easy to wire up and over ride switch

in ur relays box near u battery are 3 relays for the thermofan control, one fan, twin low speed and full speed. u can figure out which is which by simply bypassing the relay and watch what the the thermos do. once u find the correct relay, they are switched through earth, which means figure out which pin gives u 12V on ign on, on the switching circuit. the oterh side will be ur switching pin, so u can splice in a wire to a switch which earths that circuit to turn ur thermos on by the flick of a switch.

confused yet?
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post