Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Fork lift licence.

Hi guy's,
I have to apply if I want to get a fork lift licence for work purposes, just wondering what is involved, has anybody recently done theirs.
I drive the fork at work as it is now, but allways with a qualified driver nearbye watching over me.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
lowxfute

yeah thats the same with me i have to be 18 to get a fork lift lisence but i want it now. but i can drive it with driver near by. ym my mate said that he did a written thing n then a drive around an obsticle corse with the fork
lowxfute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Did mine about 2 years ago. Had to get a Elevated Work Platform (EWP-scissor lifts and cherry pickers) and the same instructor did fork tickets as well so I stayed behind and did that after. Read the book, answer a few questions, then for a practical I had to pick up a pallet of bricks, move it around a corner, put it down, back out, in and pick it up again and put it back where I got it from. About an hour all up and $160 from memory.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Practice at work under supervision is good. Once you're competent enough, and you have a good read through the booklet to study the material that will be covered in the test, then it should be easy. When I got mine about 5 years ago, the tester had 2 of us at our depot and the test was done verbally. Even if we got the answer a little wrong, he'd prompt us for another answer until we got it right and knew what we were on about. He was basically looking for us to understand it - not just bleat out words.

The guy I worked with who did the test at the same time would rip a few billys before work daily, which the supervisor knew about and he still got to drive. As we got more people in who could drive they stopped using him for forklifting unless they were desperate. His temperament wasn't too good. He ran over a plastic bollard - the next thing seen was this guy smashing the bollard against the dock repeatedly after extracting the bollard from the forklift - all on camera too. So if this guy can pass, it shows it isn't too hard.

One applicant the tester told us about hopped on and was looking at the controls on his company's forklift. The tester asked him how long he had been learning for. The guy said "All day, all day". He didn't pass that time.

If you have no clue, you will fail. If you show a good degree of competence, you'll pass. Just don't do what I did once and got it onto 2 wheels (not deliberately) from turning too fast. I was just stopping as it tipped, then came back down. First I was relieved I didn't have an accident, then I was relieved no-one saw me! All wheels have stayed on the ground since.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I have been driving it for a while now just never got around to getting my licence as all the other guys have them so it was not as important for me to get it right away.
I got the booklet today and had a look through, it seems very straight forward, just common sense really.
I really enjoy driving it, it is good fun, just a bit nervous about the test, a bit like when your going for your licence all over again, lol.
Old 29-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nowdays when you get your forklift licence it only last's 5 years as of july last year i got mine just b4 that rule came into it the prac was easy just move a stack of pallets twice and put them back written test is just common sence its not timed so just take your time and you will be fine
Old 30-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

yeah i reaally should go get my license, but i have been driving them for near on 7 years now ans still havent got one, though where i work now the fork we have is a walk behind and you dont need a license for it just to be shown what to do, and yes that is from worksafe. once and if we every upgrade to a riude on one i will talk work into paying for the license lol. not much point me paying when they will

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #8
5L
[ 5L ]

piece of p!$$

got mine about 3 years ago but recently had to undergo re training becuase mine wasnt an australian wide accredited one.

you watch a couple of videos
then you do a written questionaire exam(its just all common sense)
then you go do a practical and you will pass aslong as you drive safe. it doesnt matter how slow you go speed comes with practise out in the field. as long as you can show the instuctor you wont cause injury in the workplace and dont do anything stupid then there is no reason why you wont get passed.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

when i got my forking licence early last year i had to do a one day course that was go through a book, some videos, talk from instructor, then some driving practice moving pallets of gear around a marked out track ( knock a traffic kone over was a fail) then back inside for a theory exam. wasnt that hard.

mate at work is booked in for his next week and he has 2 days coures and i think he needs to keep a logbook to get 30? hours experiance before he gets his licence.

that is in QLD. new licence system came in here last june.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Wonder if mine is still valid. Did mine in '79 hahahahaha
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I spoke to the bloke that is going to test me, he's a nice person, straight down the line, all I have to do is pick up a pallet from hight, take it around the back off our area/workplace and drop it, pick it up again and put it back.
Then he is going to ask a series of questions and job done.
He has tested all the other blokes at our workplace and when doing so he spent most of his time talking to our boss(who is a really great bloke) and that was it.
My mates at work say as long as you show you have competence on it and common sense, he's happy.
I can't wait till it's done.
Old 31-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
when i got my forking licence early last year i had to do a one day course that was go through a book, some videos, talk from instructor, then some driving practice moving pallets of gear around a marked out track ( knock a traffic kone over was a fail) then back inside for a theory exam. wasnt that hard.

mate at work is booked in for his next week and he has 2 days coures and i think he needs to keep a logbook to get 30? hours experiance before he gets his licence.

that is in QLD. new licence system came in here last june.

i done the same coarse, dunno if you did yours at gladstone tafe it's now a 2 day coarse and then you get a log book which you need a minimum of 40 hours. i was sick the second day so ive still yet to do the theory test :(
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
fpr_esp
351 xe s pac

its easy dude you do some theory which they give ya most of the answers for.

then ya do some prac they dont even watch ya do it (to busy talking to other people thier to get thiers unless done at your workplace still same thing).

then they say yep ya passed then ya go to work cover or where ever it is or whatever it is then pay the fee and they give you ya license.
Old 31-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #14
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMT
Wonder if mine is still valid. Did mine in '79 hahahahaha
1879 or 1979?
I'm the same... From memory the license I got 100 years ago had no expiry date. I was driving forklifts on and off over the years but haven't driven one (or worked) for the past 3 years. I reckon it's still valid - as long as I can find the original ticket.
Old 31-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

A reminder to Qld forklift licence holders.

In Qld this year, All pre 1992 licences will be null and void unless you apply for a new ticket before June 30 this year. The original paper ticket , regardless of your experience or competency, it won't be worth the paper its written on.
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #16
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR MAN
A reminder to Qld forklift licence holders.

In Qld this year, All pre 1992 licences will be null and void unless you apply for a new ticket before June 30 this year. The original paper ticket , regardless of your experience or competency, it won't be worth the paper its written on.
yeah, and i think NSW did this a couple of years ago. i had a few NSW licences that i had to get changed over to the new national licences. luckily i was back home and seen a add in the paper about the deadline to have it done or i would not have known about it.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Hey guy's well last week I got my ticket for the fork, now the tester told me that I am now entitled to a weekly amount in my pay, under higher duties ( forklift allowance), all the other blokes that I work with have their license and get the allowance in their pay.
But I spoke to my new Boss that is very hard to get on with and is a tight a** and goes by the book, and he tell's me that I am not entitled to the allowance as you have to be on the fork for more than 2hr's a day to be elligable, but everyone else I work with is on the allownce. and none of them spend anywhere near this amount of time on the fork.
It is about to get ugly, all my workmates are behind me and believe that I should be entitled like them, but it seem's to be a grey area, Does anybody here have any knowledge in this area or have any info that I may be able to use, I have looked at my award and it is not very clear, I am talking to HR about it but they are about as usefull as you know what, at this stage I am refussing to drive the fork even though I have my ticket untill I get the allowance like the other's.