Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #1021
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got nothing from my dealer. Only Ford Australia.
Old 28-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #1022
Vormund

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Some of the major television news programs should be ashamed of themselves. We watch Channel 7 and they were saying Ford to leave Australia in the news headlines. It was only in the bulletin proper that they mentioned it was manufacturing.

It's not hard to understand the public perception that Ford are leaving Australia for good. I had to explain it to my parents, family, etc, that it was local manufacturing that was to be stopped.

That's been the perception for a while now.
Not surprised. Same thing happened to Mitsubishi and Nissan as well.
Old 28-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #1023
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dealers aren't sending out anything. We have copies of that letter that we can give to customers when they come in.

We found out at the same time as the general public.. Bit lame on fords part. But then, can't trust that every dealer/rep won't talk to media etc.

General Question-
Everyone that's jumped on the "I will never buy a Ford again" bandwagon, if you were in charge of the company what would you do? Knowing the majority of buyers don't want large 6cyl RWD sedans(FACT). Would you try to give your workers and suppliers over 3 years notice to find other jobs and contracts?

Btw, we're talking NEW cars here. After scrolling through i'd say that a fair chunk of the members on this forum have never bought a new falcon/falcon ute/territory. Why not? You could be supporting our industry, and Ford wouldn't have to shut down.
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.

Last edited by Anchor; 28-05-2013 at 05:17 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #1024
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Knowing the majority of buyers don't want large 6cyl RWD sedans(FACT). .
Steve Jobs said something very interesting when designing the iMac / iPhone....something poignant and relevant here.

"people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

Basically - other manufacturers have been "showing" and "marketing" their products and making the public believe that they "WANT" a sardine tin with front wheel drive.........

Ford locally could have countered by showing them why they don't.......
Old 28-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #1025
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Steve Jobs said something very interesting when designing the iMac / iPhone....something poignant and relevant here.

Basically - other manufacturers have been "showing" and "marketing" their products and making the public believe that they "WANT" a sardine tin with front wheel drive.........

I do agree to an extent. Example, the ecoboost falcon. Worst vehicle marketing ever... Pathetic even. But that doesn't excuse the XR6.. They are down to 33,990 D/A with reverse camera and 5yr/200,000km wty. Can't tell me ford isn't trying. Couldn't even buy a ute that cheap 2 years ago.

The hardest part about selling an ecoboost is getting someone into the drivers seat and past that "4cyl phobia". Similar to when the xr6t first came out and everyone still had V8 imprinted into their brains as the only way to go fast. Once you're past that obstacle, full steam ahead. Lovely car to drive.
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #1026
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:

Jobs was talking about a newly invented product. The Falcon has been around for 50 years and the public has seen it and they have decided they no longer want it. It is not the same.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #1027
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME View Post
Jobs was talking about a newly invented product. The Falcon has been around for 50 years and the public has seen it and they have decided they no longer want it. It is not the same.
Phones and computers were invented by Apple?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #1028
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Someone had an iPhone before Apple? Damn. Never knew about that one.
Old 28-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #1029
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Btw, we're talking NEW cars here. After scrolling through i'd say that a fair chunk of the members on this forum have never bought a new falcon/falcon ute/territory. Why not? You could be supporting our industry, and Ford wouldn't have to shut down.
Quite simply, and it has been stated by a few other members, we just can't afford to.
People will/have to put themselves into hock to have a roof over their head, bring up families etc, but not for a car.

I'm only just getting to the stage now when I can put some money away to get a new Ford, and hopefully I will get there.

A new car is a luxury in my books, and I won't endanger my home to get one.

Ed
Old 28-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #1030
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Precisely.
Old 28-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #1031
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
General Question-
Everyone that's jumped on the "I will never buy a Ford again" bandwagon, if you were in charge of the company what would you do? Knowing the majority of buyers don't want large 6cyl RWD sedans(FACT). Would you try to give your workers and suppliers over 3 years notice to find other jobs and contracts?
Retool with something that sells...

Quote:
Please man, don't go down this path, there a plenty of reasons why people don't buy new cars and ALL of them are personal decisions.
I have owned 1 new vehicle in my life, a Courier ute, From rebel Ford. I also bought a BA at the same time from the same dealer albeit 2yrs old, But still supporting the network.

I have 4 kids who kick the crap out of the trim, a wife who aims for every defect in a roads surface and the ability to service my own cars, why would I buy new.

Fwiw, people like me aren't your problem, you can rest assured knowing you wont find me in any other dealerships either.
Its the people wandering through the Subaru, Hyundai, Mazda, VW, etc. etc. dealerships, they are your problem.

You should reword your question.
'How many NEW car buyers on here have something other than a Falcon/territory in their stable'

That would give some much clearer answers.
Old 28-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #1032
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
That's upsetting to hear. Do you think morale will recover slighty, or has alot of the passion evaporated?
I have noticed on Ford's Facebook page they have been inundated with negativity- this is going to cost them dearly, especially with Graziano's speech lifted from PR 101. Mitsubishi hasn't really recovered since they left, and there are far more people emotionally invest in Ford Australia who took this very personally.
I don't understand how they expect volumes to sustain 3 years, the logic behind the early announcement escapes me. But I remain hopeful because I badly want to buy my first new Falcon in the next 18 months!!
To be honest we'll be over it pretty quicky. We have had the axe hanging over our heads since 2007 when the engine plant was set to close in 2010, so nothing much as changed really except we now have it confirmed. At least we get 6 years more than we thought we would. Broady would be in more shock than us.
Old 28-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #1033
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME View Post
Maybe they should've dumped the Falcon name, say around the BA release?
Called it something "exotic"? Something sounding exciting and appealing to our new breed of yuppies?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 28-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #1034
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Dealers aren't sending out anything. We have copies of that letter that we can give to customers when they come in.

We found out at the same time as the general public.. Bit lame on fords part. But then, can't trust that every dealer/rep won't talk to media etc.

General Question-

Mine did. Emailed to me this morning from my local dealer.
It was a fairly long letter from the CEO of ford. Probably just a longer version of what was posted on the last page.Will post it up when I get home.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
Old 28-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #1035
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Please man, don't go down this path, there a plenty of reasons why people don't buy new cars and ALL of them are personal decisions.
I have owned 1 new vehicle in my life, a Courier ute, From rebel Ford. I also bought a BA at the same time from the same dealer albeit 2yrs old, But still supporting the network.

I have 4 kids who kick the crap out of the trim, a wife who aims for every defect in a roads surface and the ability to service my own cars, why would I buy new.

Fwiw, people like me aren't your problem, you can rest assured knowing you wont find me in any other dealerships either.
Its the people wandering through the Subaru, Hyundai, Mazda, VW, etc. etc. dealerships, they are your problem.

You should reword your question.
'How many NEW car buyers on here have something other than a Falcon/territory in their stable'

That would give some much clearer answers.

Thats a very good point. Some people here place so much emphasis on Ford fans buying new Fords as the only way to support the company. But as you said, not everyone can be a new car buyer - not everyone should be a new car buyer. Many of us support Ford by buying second hand Fords, propping up their resale value in the process. Thats nothing to be dismissed, far more important to the big picture than many give it credit for imo
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #1036
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Agree with above. Most European cars are bought new in this country. Why. Well once the warranty runs out things go wrong that cost more than the car to fix. Hence they are traded in at that point and the owner gets rid of them as quickly as someone who's just found a cobra in their house. Resale value for European cars (Citroen, Renault etc) is absolutely awful as their is no demand for them. Buying a second hand Ford helps keep the demand up and resale prices higher. Also fixing a Ford is cheap compared to imports. So buying a second hand Ford helps generate new car sales.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
Old 28-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #1037
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Agree with above. Most European cars are bought new in this country. Why. Well once the warranty runs out things go wrong that cost more than the car to fix. Hence they are traded in at that point and the owner gets rid of them as quickly as someone who's just found a cobra in their house. Resale value for European cars (Citroen, Renault etc) is absolutely awful as their is no demand for them. Buying a second hand Ford helps keep the demand up and resale prices higher. Also fixing a Ford is cheap compared to imports. So buying a second hand Ford helps generate new car sales.
I said in another thread that insurance companies should be cheaper on local products.

a small bingle on an import typically writes it off as the cost of a front bumper plus airbags is exorbitant.
Old 28-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #1038
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Wouldn't ALL European cars be bought NEW here?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 28-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #1039
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

The hardest part about selling an ecoboost is getting someone into the drivers seat and past that "4cyl phobia". .
There is an article on the ecoboost XT falc in the latest RACV mag...Royalauto.
Comparo between the Falc , the Holden Volt , camry hybrid.

Conclusion : falc is very good......for country driving. As a vehicle for city / suburban commuting....well.....it still uses too much fuel, especially just sitting idling in traffic.

I guess a stop start idle management system was what they were referring to here ?

Sometimes you just cant win. I wonder if ford ever considered this option.....even as a gimmick. Sounds like it would have marketed the product better than that idiot in the ad twirling his finger around his head and whistling.
Old 28-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #1040
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
There is an article on the ecoboost XT falc in the latest RACV mag...Royalauto.
Comparo between the Falc , the Holden Volt , camry hybrid.

Conclusion : falc is very good......for country driving. As a vehicle for city / suburban commuting....well.....it still uses too much fuel, especially just sitting idling in traffic.

I guess a stop start idle management system was what they were referring to here ?

Sometimes you just cant win. I wonder if ford ever considered this option.....even as a gimmick. Sounds like it would have marketed the product better than that idiot in the ad twirling his finger around his head and whistling.
But is it fair doing a comparison between 2 Hybrids and a 'normal' car? What about against a C'dore Sidi thingy and an Aurion? Now where would it stand in the consumption stakes?? Apples with apples?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #1041
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Wouldn't ALL European cars be bought NEW here?
Not all, there is a grey market in higher end euros such as Astons, Jags, Maseratis etc.

As far as the "out of warranty so nobody wants them" babble, a simple carsales search will show that this is not the case. Some cars hold value better than others.

e.g. A 3 year old BMW 335i (2010) is about $60k and was $95k new.

On the other hand a 3 year old FPV GTE 5.4 which was also almost $90k new is high $30s, low $40s.
Old 28-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #1042
Orangejuicepony

Well, the writing has been on the wall for many years, you could see it in the way the local cars have been updated (or lack of).

I have always advocated that the Australian design and ideas are the best in the world, but we just don't have the market to suport making these ideas a reality.

Holden have come close by sharing the platform and borrowing technology from other models. But even that is still hit and miss.

The Territory was the better car, had the greater market interest, and was more relavent (especially with the TDV6). But it was neglected (due to the budget) and is still half assed even in it's best guise.

I think this move is for the better, I am releived actually, and I think we will see much better imported options that will be closer to what we should have been building here.

And if it is not RWD, not to worry there are still a lot of load hauling RWD options out there, most of them superior anyway in most areas (especially build quality and features).

Sad day yes, but silver lining there for most of the country, just a few blue blooded fans to shrink quietly away as did the nameplate they lived and breathed. Maybe this will open their eyes to the other options out there, maybe even a few suprises!

My thoughts go to the workers, but I beleive most will leave with money in their pocket and a good two years to find other work.
Old 28-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #1043
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
But is it fair doing a comparison between 2 Hybrids and a 'normal' car? What about against a C'dore Sidi thingy and an Aurion? Now where would it stand in the consumption stakes?? Apples with apples?
Well that's exactly what I thought....but the intent I guess was to compare the latest "eco" models from Ford / Toyota and Holden.

The falc got a good wrap.....but the overt message was that the Toyota Camry was the best overall package.

What is perhaps bexoming clear here.....is that Ford really disnt need to justify the purchase of the ecoboost falcon to prospective 6 cyclinder falcon buyers.....maybe what they really needed to do was to justify it to prospective Camry buyers.

I think Ecoboost missed the mark with its target audience ?
Old 28-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1044
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Instead of the Government giving Money directly to the Manufacturers of this industry maybe it could be tackled in a different way.

What if they gave a 10k rebate to people who privately bought an Australian made car?

This would give major incentive to the 3 manufacturers to make cars that the buying public wanted, otherwise they would miss out on increased sales.

A base model Falcon would effectively be around 25k making it affordable for average families.
Couple of problems.
"Australian made car" includes such things as the Cruze, the Camry, the Camry Hybrid, Commodore, and others...not just Falcons. And looking at the dismal sales of Falcons, even given the pricing they've been using to try and shift them, do you think people would suddenly start buying something they hadn't bothered with before?

The manufacturers do make cars that "the buying public wants"...and apparently they "want" smaller cars and mid sized SUV's these days. The only way it would work with Falcons is if they ditched the six cylinder and went strongly Ecoboost and diesel...that would be facing reality of the motoring world of today. People won't buy a big car just for the hell of it.
Old 28-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #1045
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Called it something "exotic"? Something sounding exciting and appealing to our new breed of yuppies?
I was happy with the name when I bought a new BA and then again when I bought a new FG.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #1046
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When someone asks me what car I drive, I love telling them its a Ford FALCON
Old 28-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #1047
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Actually been dissappointed that the GT doesnt have the words Falcon on the back! If people do ask I say I have a Falcon anway .......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #1048
BossBrand
Starter Motor

I work at a company in the city and it never ceases to amaze me when i drive into the car park how Aussie cars are hardly owned by affluent city types these days. I'd say over 50% are Euro and the rest Jap, Korean etc.. I am certainly the only one driving a Falcon out of at least 300 cars.. Sad sad
Old 28-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #1049
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBrand View Post
I work at a company in the city and it never ceases to amaze me when i drive into the car park how Aussie cars are hardly owned by affluent city types these days. I'd say over 50% are Euro and the rest Jap, Korean etc.. I am certainly the only one driving a Falcon out of at least 300 cars.. Sad sad
This is something I see a lot too. Both from the station to the office, and in the multi story car park where our work cars (bloody camrys), are stored.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Old 28-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #1050
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Actually been dissappointed that the GT doesnt have the words Falcon on the back! If people do ask I say I have a Falcon anway .......
XA and XB GT didn't either.
Closed Thread