Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Default Ford Focus 2006 - potential purchase

Hi guys. I'm about to purchase my very first car ever. I've had the advice, fuel efficiency and reliability is key, and in particular Japanese cars, a good for first cars ever. But what about Ford's?

I've gone through the options, Mazda 3's, Corollas etc etc. I quite like Ford Focus'es though. In particular this one:

http://www.carcompanynelson.co.nz/st...2006-IC39869/#

Is this car good for the price. Remember this is in NZD, and that NZ car prices are generally quite more expensive.

Cheers guys. Remember this is my first car ever and if you can help recommending other cars if this one is not too good, please do! Cheers
FirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Focus 2006 - potential purchase

Go for it. I can't comment on price but mum had one and it was bulletproof for the entire 150,000km's she did in it. You will not be disappointed.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Brother in law has a 06 focus zetec and has 225,000 on the clock. Had it since new and has been bulletproof, they are good cars
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #4
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Cheers guys. Do parts for repairs come quite plentiful for Ford Focuses? I mean in NZ as well. and also, if you could what are the bad parts of the car and how about the price for that particular one I linked. My budget is 10k and I'd obviously try haggle the price down a bit.
Old 13-10-2016, 12:59 AM   #5
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Also what are the differences between orignal, zetec and ghia
Old 13-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Can anyone else share their opinions too : )
Old 13-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Hard to say what the differences are in NZ - they're spec levels are different to Aus

Have you had a look in the Focus area?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=77
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couldn't comment on prices in NZ, but I had someone offer to sell me a Focus for around 10k AU, but it also looked like a hobo had been nesting in it and I definitely would not have paid that. Yours looks in good nick.

Are there some buttons/dials missing around the aircon controls? I'm guessing a result of putting in the aftermarket head unit, so I'd just want to check everything works as it should. I'm all for having a nice sound system, but not at the expense of things working in the car.

Zetec is the sports trim, and Ghia is the luxury trim.

Quote:
The CL range-starter had air-conditioning and dual front airbags, but not ABS anti-lock brakes, they came part of an extra-cost safety pack along with side airbags.

For a more geared ride there was the LX that had cruise, alloys, ABS brakes and side airbags. The sporty Zetec hatch had all of that, plus 17-inch alloys, a groovy body kit and sports suspension. If you wanted a smoother ride there was the Ghia sedan, which boasted dual climate-controlled air, six-CD sound, and leather seats.
From http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...005-2007-13440
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
FirstCar
Starter Motor

I've actually just taken it for a test drive. Wow. Amazing. I'm currently driving a 20 year old toyota starlet, wow does it feel different! One unfortunate thing is that the volume controls attached behind the steering wheels don't work as it is an after market stereo, which is annoying. Though it does have an aux already in it which I like. It feels like new tbh. Is 10k NZD (9.3k AUD) worth this particular car though?

Last edited by FirstCar; 13-10-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 13-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'd get a newer Focus with similar ks for that price in Australia, but that doesn't mean much for NZ. The website you linked to doesn't have much else at that price point that caught the eye either.

I reckon if you drive a car and love it, go for it. But if there's things you find a bit annoying now, that's only going to grow.

Take a couple other things for a drive, and remember, you can haggle.
Hell, look at what's available 2k above what you've got to spend, tell them you like it but you only have this much. You might get something even better.

Make sure you still have the cash to insure it properly!
Old 13-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I think you'd get a newer Focus with similar ks for that price in Australia, but that doesn't mean much for NZ. The website you linked to doesn't have much else at that price point that caught the eye either.

I reckon if you drive a car and love it, go for it. But if there's things you find a bit annoying now, that's only going to grow.

Hell, look at what's available 2k above what you've got to spend, tell them you like it but you only have this much. You might get something even better.

Yeah, exactly. NZ car prices are going to be a bit more anyway. I really do like it and I'd hate to give it a week or 2 to think bout it and then it sells to someone else. But I shouldn't rush it tbh. Cheers for the advice dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien
Couldn't comment on prices in NZ, but I had someone offer to sell me a Focus for around 10k AU, but it also looked like a hobo had been nesting in it and I definitely would not have paid that. Yours looks in good nick.

Are there some buttons/dials missing around the aircon controls? I'm guessing a result of putting in the aftermarket head unit, so I'd just want to check everything works as it should. I'm all for having a nice sound system, but not at the expense of things working in the car.

Zetec is the sports trim, and Ghia is the luxury trim.

From http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...005-2007-13440
Didn't seem like anything was missing from the aircon controls. Had two different controls to cooldown / heatup each side of the car.
Old 13-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post

Yeah insureance is definitely a big factor. Wow, just checked out a quote and apparently it will cost around $750-$1000 for full cover and 200-300 for 3rd party fire & theft. I spose 3rd party would do tho.
Old 13-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #13
small_fordz
Starter Motor

I don't think it is an NZ new car, it looks like a used import. Check it was from Japan, not Singapore as the humidity there can upset the electrics. Ask to see the Japanese auction report, the dealer should have it as it is reported as a 4.5 condition car. 4.5 is in as new condition. The report will be in Japanese but you should be able to discern the main points like panel condition. There will also have been an NZ border check, ask to see that
as well. Ask the dealer if there is any outstanding recall on it, and also ask to see the vehicle handbook and maintenance book. On a 4.5 car these should be present. On price, it is high for a pre facelift Mk2 Focus but the price may reflect the condition. Good luck and have a pre-purchase check done.
small_fordz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #14
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCar View Post
Yeah insureance is definitely a big factor. Wow, just checked out a quote and apparently it will cost around $750-$1000 for full cover and 200-300 for 3rd party fire & theft. I spose 3rd party would do tho.
I would HIGHLY recommend you get comprehensive insurance. If you cannot afford to replace your car with your own money, should it be written off, you should get comprehensive insurance. It's absolutely crazy not to.

Seriosuly. Try to factor the cost of insurance into your car budget.
Old 14-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #15
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by small_fordz View Post
I don't think it is an NZ new car, it looks like a used import. Check it was from Japan, not Singapore as the humidity there can upset the electrics. Ask to see the Japanese auction report, the dealer should have it as it is reported as a 4.5 condition car. 4.5 is in as new condition. The report will be in Japanese but you should be able to discern the main points like panel condition. There will also have been an NZ border check, ask to see that
as well. Ask the dealer if there is any outstanding recall on it, and also ask to see the vehicle handbook and maintenance book. On a 4.5 car these should be present. On price, it is high for a pre facelift Mk2 Focus but the price may reflect the condition. Good luck and have a pre-purchase check done.
Will do. I forgot to mention the radio/screen unit in the pictures of the car on the link in the original post has bee been FULLY replaced with a new stereo that's literally only filling up half the hole size. Its a little odd. I'll get back to you once I get those reports.
Old 14-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #16
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend you get comprehensive insurance. If you cannot afford to replace your car with your own money, should it be written off, you should get comprehensive insurance. It's absolutely crazy not to.

Seriosuly. Try to factor the cost of insurance into your car budget.
I can afford the insurance now, no problem. Its just I'm not sure about a few years time. I did a quote and it would be between 800-1000$ a year for comprehensive. But I'm assuming it would decrease over time as the car devalues.
Old 14-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can afford the insurance now, no problem. Its just I'm not sure about a few years time. I did a quote and it would be between 800-1000$ a year for comprehensive. But I'm assuming it would decrease over time as the car devalues.
It'll decrease as you get older and don't crash too.
$20 a week into a savings account to cover your insurance will cover it easily.
Old 14-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Going in again in a few days to ask all the questions and check on the things you guys have advised.

While browsing trademe I came across this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1177041858.htm

That one looks nicer, but it is essentially the same except it has the original radio. The radio/unit that I posted earlier in the OP has since been pulled out. But Aside from that is paying an extra $2000 worth the GHIA aspect of the Ford/Focus range?
Old 14-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #19
small_fordz
Starter Motor

The main difference is that this one on Trade Me is NZ new. Whether it is worth another $2k is debatable, but of course you may be able to get it for a lower price than the asking. On the pictures it looks a nice car. Being NZ new it won't have ESC, but it will be easier to trace its history and it may have a slightly nicer interior trim.
Old 14-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is based on Aussie insurance.

Insurance in general goes up each year while the value of the car goes down.

Once you hit 25 in Aus usually your insurance will get cheaper.

The reason why insurance insurance doesn't decrease when the car is worth less is due to everything else going up, example cost of paint, panels labour of panel beater etc.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #21
FirstCar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by small_fordz View Post
The main difference is that this one on Trade Me is NZ new. Whether it is worth another $2k is debatable, but of course you may be able to get it for a lower price than the asking. On the pictures it looks a nice car. Being NZ new it won't have ESC, but it will be easier to trace its history and it may have a slightly nicer interior trim.
Forgot about the nz new part. I Wonder if that means the indicators and window wipers would be swapped around? Does it being NZ new really matter though tbh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
This is based on Aussie insurance.

Insurance in general goes up each year while the value of the car goes down.

Once you hit 25 in Aus usually your insurance will get cheaper.

The reason why insurance insurance doesn't decrease when the car is worth less is due to everything else going up, example cost of paint, panels labour of panel beater etc.
Same here in NZ the 25 year old part
Old 16-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #22
small_fordz
Starter Motor

The NZ new car is also a year newer than the import. $11,995 is on the high side for a 2007, but if it checks out in all other respects, full service record, drives well, good body and mechanical condition - have a pre-purchase check done - and not having had a multitude of owners of short duration (which may indicate the vehicle has a problem) then it may be worth you making an offer to the dealer that fits with your budget. The worst they can do is say no.

On insurance, I have always found AMI in NZ to have the lowest premiums while having good customer service.
Old 16-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #23
theBlake

I had a 2006 LS Focus for about 10 years from new and didn't enjoy it at all. Spare parts are so expensive. I had to fork out quite a bit of money for repairs around 4-5 years. Also constant problems with tyre wear. I couldn't advise anyone to buy this car.
Old 16-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #24
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , I work at a High school in Tasmania . Our groundsman has had a 2003 and a 2009 Focus...He raves about them..The current one is well over 150,000 and still runs really well , also automatic..He's looking at a Trend next time , he told me a few weeks ago. Incidentally both of his were bought brand new Price is pretty good too . Just under $25,000 on the road with a 1.5 litre turbo and either 6 speed auto or 6 speed manual ..No base mode any more either...read this for later on http://www.caradvice.com.au/396013/2...-trend-review/
Any pre owned car is a risk but careful research (as you're doing) is a great thing to do before you buy.. Good luck with it .. Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 16-10-2016 at 04:22 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post