Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How much should you spend on a car (per month)? Advice please

Ok guys, I really need some advice here. I have recently got myself into a company commodore through the joys of an operating lease, one hitch it had to be a holden so I got myself a VZ exec with a few ks on the clock to see if I really disliked them as much as I thought I would, that way I can hand it back without having to keep it for 4 years.

Sure or enough, I already want to hand it back and it's only been a month which leads me to my next question, what percentage of your monthly pay should you spend on your car, I am also trying to save for a house. So for those people out there who are saving or paying off a house, how much would you spend on your car (percentage wise) per month? Including petrol, finance, insurance, rego etc etc.

The commodore with unlimited petrol, costs me around 20%, the car I really want is going to cost me probably 30-35% (BA XR6 T or XR8) Do I bite the bullet and stick with the exec or stop being a nancy and pay the extra?

Old 07-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Phoon Hoon

Gees, that's a hard question to answer - it's just so influenced by so many factors. Let me think for a while...
Old 07-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

much as i hate holdens the only advise i can offer is to spend as little as possible.

The only thing worth getting into debt for is an asset and then only one that will appreciate faster than the interest charged

Do what you can about your home,

Cars are a liability

PS should have bought an AU3 dirt cheap and relaible :
Old 07-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally believe that although the Fords are a preferred option in terms of a driving experience, from a financial and investment point of view, it is far better to save up for a house.

Over time on average, house prices increase. As a result, the longer you take to get into the housing market, the more expensive it will be to get into it.

A car is among the worst investments you can make. An ordinary car is guaranteed to depreciate and they continually cost money with no real benefit, due to the fact that its value will go down.

Personally, a car with free petrol costing only 20%...keep it. Petrol, being at a premium at the moment would drain your earnings more than the 20% you are currently paying.

A house IMO is a far better option.

But it comes down to personal preference and what is more important to you.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I've always found that if you take yoru Gross annual income and halve it, thats how much you can spend on a car and stay well and truely out of trouble. Always worked for me. (Damn, that F6 is getting a little closer these days now that I think of it : )

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

pfft... if I spent that much on my car per year it would be a monster. Given that I don't have any repayments on it and dont pay for fuel. *giggle*
Old 08-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

I'm on the Market for a car soon and I was talking to one of the managers today...he offered me his 95 BMW M3 for 28K...He immediately had my attention until
I asked him about running costs....

Regular Service: $600
Brakes: : $1500
Clutch : $2500

And thats not even including Insurance, Fuel and Tires...

*shudders*
Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
I'm on the Market for a car soon and I was talking to one of the managers today...he offered me his 95 BMW M3 for 28K...He immediately had my attention until
I asked him about running costs....

Regular Service: $600
Brakes: : $1500
Clutch : $2500

And thats not even including Insurance, Fuel and Tires...

*shudders*
I bet you could buy those part's elsewhere for 5o% less than what he has paid in the past, clearly he's bought new BMW item's.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
XRQTOR
Banned

In all honesty this is a question only you can answer, how soon do you want a house or how bad do you want that car.

As most have said a house is more important, but isn't anywhere near as fun. When i first bought my my MKII xr8 i needed to borrow money but i didn't want to pay more than $2oo a week off over 4 year's, at the time that was close to 1/2 of my weekly pay but i didn't have any other expeses either.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the suggestions guys, Casper I like your theory Although I think I will stick with holden for a little while.