Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Notbook Computers

going to uni this year, and looking at buying a notebook. Can u guys recommend any good brands or any hints
cheers

mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

An Apple iBook...
Old 22-02-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
parawolf
beep beep

Or an Sun Microsystems Ultra 3 mobile workstation...

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub...a3/Ultra3.html

seriously... what do you need a notebook for? Word processing? games (be serious about that one, it makes a big difference) web surfing (wireless, etc)? What battery life? what weight? are you going to cart it every day everywhere? on a bike? in a car? walking? public transport?

details makes all the difference to the recommendation.
Old 22-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
An Apple iBook...
I second that. They are durable, and have a fantastic battery life. Not to mention the lack of viruses and spyware on the OsX platform. If it has to be Windoze, don't get Dell or HP/Compaq. An IBM Thinkpad would be best.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
parawolf
beep beep

yeah unfortunately comparing the quality hardware that you get for your dollars in the apple, you have to line it up against something as equally feature set in the x86 world, and that really is Lenovo/IBM not much else.
Old 23-02-2006, 01:31 AM   #6
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Depends on your budget really...everyone will say something different, for example I recommend Dell...I just bought a Dell 9300 notebook a few months ago and am loving it, they are very helpful and their warranties are great, and prices are awesome, they have online specials on their website every week...and just bought my Fiance a Dell 630m notebook, which should arrive tomorrow.

Stay away from HP/Compaq...Acer & Asus are decent brands...

Budget will dictate a lot more....
Old 23-02-2006, 07:12 AM   #7
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I second that. They are durable, and have a fantastic battery life. Not to mention the lack of viruses and spyware on the OsX platform. If it has to be Windoze, don't get Dell or HP/Compaq. An IBM Thinkpad would be best.
x2 on avoiding a Dell. I got one back in '01 and its been the biggest pile of crap. Vaios are also junk.

You might look at a Fujitsu or a Toshiba, I've heard good things about those.
Old 23-02-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
Budget will dictate a lot more....
I really disagree. A notebook is a luxury - you don't "NEED" it esp at most unis which have plenty of on campus computers.

So if you are considering it you have a reasonable budget for it already. For example someone considering spending $800, i'd say save your money. Personally anything under $1700 won't last you 3 years of daily use and commuting.

Budget does come into it somewhat, but not much as the other factors such as utility, battery life, physical mass etc, this dictates the price point you look into.
Old 23-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Like others, I recommend an IBM thinkpad. Above all else, make sure you get a 3yr warranty (if you intend of keeping it for more than a year). I have fixed so many laptops at work that would be interesting looking paperweights without it.
Old 23-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
I really disagree. A notebook is a luxury - you don't "NEED" it esp at most unis which have plenty of on campus computers.

So if you are considering it you have a reasonable budget for it already. For example someone considering spending $800, i'd say save your money. Personally anything under $1700 won't last you 3 years of daily use and commuting.

Budget does come into it somewhat, but not much as the other factors such as utility, battery life, physical mass etc, this dictates the price point you look into.
Nah I disagree...I know a lot of people who have laptops....some have only wanted to spend $500, in which case eBay is the way to go...whereas other have wanted to spend 3 or 4 g, so they have bought a high spec Dell or Toshiba...but thats my Opinion...no one is right and no one is wrong really...
Old 23-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #11
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180227
going to uni this year, and looking at buying a notebook. Can u guys recommend any good brands or any hints
cheers
Check out D&D Computers . They stock different brands and are very competitive on price. If your in Sydney, you can buy over the counter or if not, buy over the web. They sell everything from componants to full systems.
No I don't work for them, a friend put me on to them when I needed some replacement bits.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #12
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

hmm if need one id just get the best deal from ebay.
it doesnt matter what brand you'll most likely pickup a dell or ibm with a decent cpu for about 500-600 bucks. double check that the battery is ok though.

apple crap is overpriced and under supported there is no way to justify purchasing apple unless your a fan or buying for a specific purpose like music production etc. windows may be vulnerable to spyware etc but its only those who allow that rubbish onto their machines that have to suffer from it. there is plenty of apps out there that stop it.
Old 23-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
YuGoStaR
Long Member

As a Uni student I'll throw in my opinion.
If you are going to use public transport to get to Uni and if you have to walk more than 200m each way to that public transport facility you will get VERY sick of the laptop very soon. So think about that.
Trust me on this.
Old 23-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #14
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseTaco
x2 on avoiding a Dell. I got one back in '01 and its been the biggest pile of crap. Vaios are also junk.

You might look at a Fujitsu or a Toshiba, I've heard good things about those.
I beg to differ, I have a Vaio and I'm thrilled with it....best PCI 've ever owned, and the only one that's actualy reliable so far. Vaios also have the best LCDs IMO. So if budget is not really an issue, get a Vaio, can't go wrong. The one I'd avoid is Toshiba. My 1st laptop was a Toshiba and its screen failed every 2 weeks and going by what my friends who own Toshibas said, the problem is still there in current models.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
42.57lb
Is tuna chicken or fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiefalcon
apple crap is overpriced and under supported there is no way to justify purchasing apple unless your a fan or buying for a specific purpose like music production etc. windows may be vulnerable to spyware etc but its only those who allow that rubbish onto their machines that have to suffer from it. there is plenty of apps out there that stop it.
Ever used an apple? Seriously, I'm interested because of all the users I know, (most of whom used to swear by windows) none of them would go back. I'm a mac man myself, and I agree, affordability X86 is the way to go, get on eBay, 500 clams later and you've got enough power to surf and do office type stuff, but then again, you have massive vunerability, seriously lack of reliability and a crap OS. IMO. But, having said that Windows is available EVERYWHERE, your uni is probably based on windows (mine is) so it's really up to what you like and/or want? Have any hobbies like phtography or music that you are interested in taking more seriously? Get an iBook. Just need a workstation? Save your clams, get on eBay and get exactly that, a workhorse. I have used loadsof different brands Toshiba, Dell, HP. STAY AWAY FROM HP. Dell are ok if you are cool with dealing via mail for EVERYTHING, Toshiba are good but I also thing IBM are the way to go if you've got the bux.
42.57lb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #16
pk2000

whats the problems with hp/compaq?

im just finishing up at uni, and i bought a fairly high spec one about 3 years ago.. only problem I've had was the wifi card i got died in about 2 months, called em up on warranty, and had the card in my hands in 2 days. It does get heavy, but with a good backpack its not to bad.

Ibooks are good as well, if your going to be using it just for emails, web etc, and not going to need to install software that is windows only. You get a student discount as well if that still is going on

in engineering at my uni (rmit) its pretty hard to go without a laptop, as the schools resources are stretched thin most times when you need it.
Also for most projects/labs, it makes your life that much easier if you just use your own and not risk the labs computers changing config overnight leaving you hanging for a sdk/curtain version of compiler/libararies etc
pk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #17
42.57lb
Is tuna chicken or fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2000
whats the problems with hp/compaq?
Every HP/Compaq machine that I have come across since like forever (shah you know) has been riddled with problems down to the way that they alter the OS for temselves, they customise it and IMO it's rubbish. HP "invent" is other way of say "f**k your computing, it's got our name on it, we'll customise the OS how we want."
42.57lb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #18
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

ive got one each of all the brands mentioned
hp/compaq
dell
IBM
and toshiba

the toshiba makes the others look pretty average
as yugostar said however go for one of the upspec models they are smaller lighter and still do everything you need them to. get the smallest ИИИИer you can.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post