Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default Telemarketers

well its clear to me that there are more companies and business strangers ringing my home private number ( which i pay for private ) then there is friends and relatives . how many times can you tell people to get ИИИИed in one day . and how many times can you tell the same people from the same companies to get ИИИИed .how do these companies get my phone number anyway . it isnt listed .
i suspect that those very good charities that ring and get donations off me regularly . dont give a rats about my privacy and are taking advantage of myt good will and selling my details off to investment developers and taxation sharks .
what makes me come to these conclusions is when you donate to a chrity via phone . all of a sudden over the next few days many more charities and sharks come calling . any one who is in telemarketing please grow some respect for yourself and get a decent job . those of you who are working for charities please make the charities stop passing onm details to others its a good way to ИИИИ people off and have donators discontinue and cut your fat cat bonuses . out:

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

We had a salesman ring me 2 weeks ago.... Trying to hock off printer cartridges.... I told him nicely that we are ok.
He rang back this week, so i told him to P*ss off, and to stop calling us.
It is a real pain when people ring here and ask for the "Business Owner" as you know they are selling something!
Old 16-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just put the phone down without hanging up.. check back in a few mins and if theyve hung up hang up... Do it a few times and they wont ring back
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hee hee ... just leave it off the hook ... they can't hang up ... the take the phone off the hook again ... and the line is still open .... it's great. Leave the phone off the hook for hours ... LOL
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Hee hee ... just leave it off the hook ... they can't hang up ... the take the phone off the hook again ... and the line is still open .... it's great. Leave the phone off the hook for hours ... LOL
thats great guys . why didnt i think of that . i will do this thanks heaps hahaha. :1syellow1
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Just dont talk and wait until they hang up :P
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

also breathe heavy into the phone ... and ask them wird questions.
I am sure SourBastard could give you some excellent questions ... hee hee
Old 16-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
TZENU
XY Driv3r

" Look im busy at the moment can i get your home number and i'll call you back?"
Old 16-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I had this lady called Jody who had a ver very very strong indian accent trying to sell me insuarnce. She called me at like 7:50pm (apparently it is against the law in Oz for a telemarketer to call after 8pm any night) I couldnt under stand her, she couldnt understand me so she wasted 5 mins of my life.

So i asked her for her home number to call her back, not that i wanted to talk insurance but to call her at 2am and ИИИИ her off
Old 16-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
Paxton
Cobblers!

I just had one call from "Stellar Software". Strong English accent, and a looooong delay when replying. I strung him on for about 5 mins and then hit him with the question 'does it work on a Mac'? He fumbled to a no answer, and I hung up.

I hate Telemarketers.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
well its clear to me that there are more companies and business strangers ringing my home private number ( which i pay for private ) then there is friends and relatives .

Same here.......for the last month, every few days this mob ring saying my number was lucky enough to be chosen to recieve a free mobile phone on a $50 month plan for 24 months......... WTF.......
I have repeatedly replied that I have just resigned for 24 months thanks all the same.....but last night I was in a crankyish mood and told them to Fluck off and hung up........ (I have never done that before) :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #12
max^power
Formerly au^ute

i can't stand anyone force feeding me BS to sell something. i ask them terribly personal questions and they usually dont waste too much time, i have great fun with those that have an "international" accent as these people are so desperate to sell you their trash they will answer most questions.

Mind you, i never enter competitions, or submit my details where they can be abused. always read the terms and conditions & privacy policy before putting your details on anything. Ticks me off when my address when people get my home address from the electoral roll - or so they say.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #13
Phil91EB

Ask to speak to the manager that gets them every time.

To make matters worse for us is that Telstra listed our number as a business in the yellow pages under a printing company that no longer exists we get calls all the time for printing quotes and corporate deals it is so annoying.
2006 BF Falcon
Phil91EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
rodderz

A thread was done on this a while back and someone put up a link to a site where you could enter your phone number to be put on a barred list for these calls. Cant remember the site it was that long ago but I havent had any telemarketing calls since
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There are a lot less now than there used to be. It was not unusual for up to 6 calls per day from telemarketers.

I work from home and on occasion have had calls offering me a "special" something to a "few" customers in my suburb.
Same day on my business line, same deal. It's good to be "special"

What I have noticed is that the Indian call centre calls register as "Out Of Area" on our caller id display. Too easy...pick phone up.... put phone down.

I have been told that on some later model phones, there are various filters for barring calls.

If upcoming legislation does not greatly reduce the problem I'll be looking at upgrading our phones.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #16
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

I don't answer the home phone so i don't know. i can tell ya my parents hate them with a passion. They always call when there eating.

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
Aeron
DJR Fan

When ever my dad gets one, after they say anything he says, "Why?". One night, in the end the lady on the phone ended up saying "Because its my job to sell this stuff!!!" :

Go dad :
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #18
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
A thread was done on this a while back and someone put up a link to a site where you could enter your phone number to be put on a barred list for these calls. Cant remember the site it was that long ago but I havent had any telemarketing calls since

Not to quote myself but

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
Oh, I have a link to opt out from getting Indian Callers.
http://www.adma.com.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=1999

Enjoy.
Borrowed from Here

Enjoy.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #19
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can try the one like the TV commercial when the woman says thanks for calling after the tone leave a message & then use the microwave.

Or as Senfield did one he received a call form a marketer asking if he wanted to save money on long distance call's he said "yes" then hung up. or his other approach

ask the caller to leave there name & number (if they say no) ask dont they like being bother @ home (they say yes) now you know how i fell & hang up.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #20
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...+telemarketers
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #21
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Not to quote myself but

Borrowed from Here

Enjoy.
Cheers mate yes thats the one

When I out my number in it said it would take a few weeks to take effect, but that was about a year ago I'de reckon and no calls since then
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 02:24 AM   #22
Psycho Chicken
Banned

My parents are boring. Just give the usual "take us of the list and don't call again". Yawn.

"So, what are you wearing?" usually goes down a treat. Having an unusual surname is great too. "Is mr xxxxxxx there?" "nup, never heard of that name". "Hello, I'm calling about a great offer for people in your area" "Really, where would that be exactly?" "Your area" "And my area is?". And my personal favourite "Hi I'm calling about a fantatic offer on your telephone line rental" "I'm sorry, we don't own a telephone".

It might be slightly annoying, but it's great entertainment when you get them going.

I think next time I'll try to convince them they've called a sex line and it's costing them $3.95 a minute, higher from mobile and public telephones.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 02:47 AM   #23
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I think next time I'll try to convince them they've called a sex line and it's costing them $3.95 a minute, higher from mobile and public telephones.
Thats a good one :o)
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:18 AM   #24
NEG
Diabolus

"So, what are you wearing?" usually goes down a treat.

haha yes iv used that one, or onother good one is to explain to the person ringing that you are very busy at the moment and ask them if u can have their phone number and you will call back. They will probly say somthing like 'sorry i cant give out my number', to which you reply 'yeh i supose u wouldnt want somone u dont know ringing you at home while you are eating :jab: ' and then hang up.
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:54 AM   #25
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
well its clear to me that there are more companies and business strangers ringing my home private number ( which i pay for private ) then there is friends and relatives . how many times can you tell people to get ИИИИed in one day . and how many times can you tell the same people from the same companies to get ИИИИed .how do these companies get my phone number anyway . it isnt listed .
i suspect that those very good charities that ring and get donations off me regularly . dont give a rats about my privacy and are taking advantage of myt good will and selling my details off to investment developers and taxation sharks .
what makes me come to these conclusions is when you donate to a chrity via phone . all of a sudden over the next few days many more charities and sharks come calling . any one who is in telemarketing please grow some respect for yourself and get a decent job . those of you who are working for charities please make the charities stop passing onm details to others its a good way to ИИИИ people off and have donators discontinue and cut your fat cat bonuses . out:
As soon as you put your phone number on any application for a service with people who don't have a customer privacy policy, you're fair game... Foxtel are a beauty for this.

Also, with the link to the ADMA, that only works for companies registered with the ADMA. I don't have the exact numbers(and can't be bothered doing the search) but the general feeling is that only about 30% of companies who enlist telemarketers are ADMA members...(All this from a late night radio show on ABC Radio National...) They had some expert dude on telling people how pointless it can be to have a silent number and how best to deal with telemarketers.
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #26
gww64

Had a young woman ring me up about a fantastic holiday deal they were offering. Raved that much crap to her that she hung up on me. :
gww64 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #27
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Here at my work we recieve heaps of cold calls, and between the tow of us who answer the phones, we think up the most imaginative ways of telling them to get stuffed.

We also get cold faxes for anything from tractor tyres to wine. Recieved a menu faxed to us from the bowling alley that had been recently re-opened (south aussies may know the woodville bowl story). We decided "why not", and ordered some lunch from there to see what it was like. Didn't tell them where we were from just picked them up.
The food was shocking. Dry, tasteless food with brown lettuce in the 3 piece salad (tomato, lettuce, cucumber).
The next day they faxed another menu to us so we binned it. This went on for 4 days until the other we wrote "your food is ИИИИ" up the top and faxed it back. Haven't heard from them since.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #28
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
also breathe heavy into the phone ... and ask them wird questions.
I am sure SourBastard could give you some excellent questions ... hee hee

thats why i keep ringing you back.... :
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

LMAO ... I could make some easy money here if i keep doing that.