Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
act2617

Smile French women defy macho garages

A training centre in southern France is turning women into car mechanics to challenge the traditional male dominance of garages.

Fifteen women embarked on the training course this month at the Base 34 centre near Montpellier, and they are expected to graduate in June next year.

"We want to change attitudes in a profession which is very masculine," said Base 34 director Herve Malige.

He expects the women to set up their own garage eventually.

He says the traditional stereotype of beefy, oil-stained men hauling heavy car parts is outdated.

"The nature of car engineering has changed - today we don't have enough skilled mechanics. What is needed today is rigour and methodical diagnostics.

"Women are strong at identifying the causes of breakdowns - they methodically check everything," Mr Malige told the BBC News website.

He says his centre could not find any existing all-women garages in Europe, though they did find one in Montreal, Canada, "which was closed to men".

Once the women at Base 34 have set up their own garage, jobs will be offered to men too, so eventually there will be equal numbers of male and female staff, he explained.

The garage will be open to both male and female customers, he added.

The women on the course - aged from 22 to 38 - come from a variety of backgrounds. They include former air hostesses, beauticians and a nurse, he said.

The privately-run training centre, which is supported by the Languedoc-Roussillon regional authorities, is looking for an investor for the garage, the French AFP news agency reports.

Story from BBC NEWS

act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
Simmo
White Lightning

haha if only it could be like the lynx jet ad when you put your car in for service.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Two can play at that game.

I'm gonna take up needle craft and supercharge the sewing machine.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol... and what happens when they can't undo that tight bolt?
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
haha if only it could be like the lynx jet ad when you put your car in for service.
Now if there is such a place ... I'm booking the car in as soon as I can ... LOL
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
I luv the lynx jet add im flying lynx jet next time i fly who cares if its more expensive & there is no frequent flyers (the blankets they cover u with to keep you warm r wicked)

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #7
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
I luv the lynx jet add im flying lynx jet next time i fly who cares if its more expensive & there is no frequent flyers (the blankets they cover u with to keep you warm r wicked)
I wish there was an actual lynx jet =/
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 04:46 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
I wish there was an actual lynx jet =/
Agreed.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

its good too see women in the game . but whats the issue. why does it even rate as a story. its about as interesting and irrelavent as a bunch of blokes doing cake making classes., because there isnt enough blokes making cakes.
i suppose its all about choice . next they will be doing a drag queen mechanical workshop . and then a gay one.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 03:49 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The French women are probably hairier than the French men.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post