Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Cideburns
Starter Motor

Default 2004 Focus - replacing original head-unit

Hi All,

New to the forums, but been driving my 2004 Focus since new.

I’m going to swap the original head-unit with a new aftermarket Pioneer head unit.
I’ve already got the single DIN facia with the pocket underneath to fill the space ready to install

May sound like a silly question… but is it difficult to swap the head units?
Do I need any extra plugs or adapters to swap the original unit with an aftermarket brand new Pioneer single DIN unit (again I have the single DIN facia kit to suit)?
I understand wiring/soldering will likely be required.

I’m still waiting on the Pioneer unit to arrive in the mail so can’t check out the back of the unit, it’s a Pioneer DEH-P5150UB

Any guidance or tips would be appreciated 

Thanks a million

Richie

Cideburns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Welcome to the Forums Richie.

Someone who knows more will reply, but I'm pretty sure you need to get a connector harness of some description so it all just clicks together.....no need to be cutting plugs and soldering etc.

But as I said, someone who knows better will give you the right answer...I'm a bit of a nuff nuff in this area

And tell us more about your car. Pics?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Cideburns
Starter Motor

OK, so got a friend who's swapped a head unit before to give me a hand.
Connected the positive and negative power and earthed. Then with some trial and error connected the wires for the speakers. It's done and in.

Some hurdles tho...

As I said I used the single Din Facia that has the pocket underneath to fill the (nearly) double din hole.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123

Fit nice.

The single Din outer cage for the new head unit was meant to "clip" into place by pushing tabs out.... couldn't get it do do that. So it kinda was sitting there loosely until the final outer facia was locked in place.
Also the aerial socket didn't match. I think I need a female-to-female (oo-err) connector.
Also wouldn't mind getting the original steering column controls working the unit (but not essential)
Also removal of the Pioneer faceplate is kinda hard cause it sits inside the facia probably a little too deep. Lucky I didn't get one that the face-plate has to open to load a CD in and out.

So yeah, it's in and looks good. It controls/charges my iPod a treat (which was what I really wanted). So I'm happy

If you want to see a pic of the unit in place, happy to take a pic. and post here

My Focus is a 2004 LS/SR, dark blue, manual. Nothing really flash or special about it. The SRs came with small alloys and mats and mud guards. Haven't done any modifications (as yet), but may do in the future. Have a great resource here to see what people are doing/have done so...

Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Cideburns
Starter Motor

oops no it's a CL/SR

http://autoweb.com.au/cms/title_Focu...wsarticle.html