Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default e-Bikes

I'm on the wrong side of 50 years old and love to cycle, but I swear someone has interfered with the roads and the gradients are much steeper than last year

I'm looking into a new project to build an e-Bike MTB, wondering if anyone else has built one, what kit did you use, pro's and con's etc.

cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: e-Bikes

There is this old crazy guy who has a push bike powered by some sort of engine, with a little home made trailer who "drives" it between Bulla and Sunbury here in Melbourne on a daily basis, rain hail or shine. I've seen him riding it while it was bucketing down rain.

You can see him on Sunbury road most days just slowly going between both towns for some reason, usually with an orange flag mounted on his bike and wearing an orange high vis vest.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Subscribing to see what others say.

Personally I have been looking at a Zoco Rossa but am open to being swayed.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The MTB will be mostly used offroad. The electric motor to assist getting up hills, shorts burst of power then back to peddling. A petrol powered trail bike would solve the issues except you can't ride these through the parks/forests.

Minimising weight is important but so is range, so is power output, and so is weight distribution.

Trips would be +100km's with say 20-30% being electric assisted, I don't want to be stranded without electric power and having to peddle a heavy bike back for too many km's.

I'm looking at a motor in the 1000W range, is this enough grunt?

Type of motor?
a) geared hub motor
b) direct drive hub
c) mid mounted drive

Type of battery, including Volts and Amp/Hrs.

Mounting the battery, range, size, weight and recharge time, do people carry two smaller batteries instead of one large battery?
Old 29-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
Subscribing to see what others say.

Personally I have been looking at a Zoco Rossa but am open to being swayed.

Cheers Vincenzo
Looks interesting, pricing seems reasonable and definitely a lot cheaper than a Stealth.

Things that worry me, by using a mid mounted engine a lot of power being applied through a bike chain and then all that power going the Alfine hub gears. On the plus is minimum motor weigh with motor weight central on the frame. I'm not convinced hanging a battery out the back on a rack isn't without some longer term metal fatigue issues. What is the overall weight?
Old 29-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I'm on the wrong side of 50 years old and love to cycle, but I swear someone has interfered with the roads and the gradients are much steeper than last year
The last time I rode a pushbike the saddle seemed a lot harder than when I was a kid!
Old 29-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
The last time I rode a pushbike the saddle seemed a lot harder than when I was a kid!
The extra padding from old age on the rearend helps
Old 29-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an 80cc 2 stroke I'm fitting to my mountain bike. Traction should be interesting.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Looks interesting, pricing seems reasonable and definitely a lot cheaper than a Stealth.

Things that worry me, by using a mid mounted engine a lot of power being applied through a bike chain and then all that power going the Alfine hub gears. On the plus is minimum motor weigh with motor weight central on the frame. I'm not convinced hanging a battery out the back on a rack isn't without some longer term metal fatigue issues. What is the overall weight?
$2k for Zoco, $10k for the stealth and from memory the weight is 21kg just trying to verify that.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 29-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
$2k for Zoco, $10k for the stealth and from memory the weight is 21kg just trying to verify that.

Cheers Vincenzo
Thanks, like I said transmitting the power through the bike's chain and gears have me worried. I have personally snapped an Everest branded chain and stripped the gears from a Regina branded cluster (both pieces of rubbish) using my strength which is way less than 500Watts.
Old 29-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

(cheap) Here is a link to the Zoco bike web page. there is a new model apparently which is identical to the Rossa (250w) called the Xtreme (500w) strictly off road.

http://www.zocoelectricbike.com.au

And weight is 28kg for both models with battery or 23kg without. HTH.

Cheers Vincenzo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 29-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ther is an electric rear wheel hub/motor available from the states called 'Bionix'.....Plenty comes up for a google search.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post