Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 06-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
ChrisE
Starter Motor

Default Number plate attachment?

I own a 2005 Fiesta LX 3dr manual. When I bought the car, the front bumper had two holes drilled to fit the black and white slimline plate (by Ford). On the back, the number plate itself had been drilled through (by Ford) to fit the two holes of the Fiesta about 10cm apart..

My question is, how do I fit my new slimline black and white plates to the Fiesta without drilling through my number plate? I was advised by the RTA that it is illegal to drill through a number plate.

How has everyone else attached their plates? Do you know if a bracket to fit these number plates, or know of an aftermarket solution?

Any ideas?

Chris

Last edited by ChrisE; 06-02-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: mistake
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Hi,

I'm in Vic, and basically without a lot of fiddling around to make a backing plate to attached the number plates to and hold them in by a number plates protector- there isn't really a way at all.
I got plates as well, and tried a few things but it got too hard. So, positioned them over slightly so
a) didn't look off centre
b) tried not to drill in the actual letters. In the end I had to bite the bullet and went in the middle of the letter. Bit of white paint and it's hard to notice now.

I did a skinny at the front and a fatty at the back- seemed to fill the tailgate hole better......

Cheers,

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
bru20vt

I dont think I have seen one BMW that hasn't had its plates re-drilled. My plates are black lettering with white background so I drilled on the lettering and used a black screw.

Your other option is 3M double sided tape which also works well.

dom
bru20vt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
Ben85

I have white slim line plates on my WQ Zetec which i put on after i got the car and the holes were already in the right place. Its seems strange that all of ur cars are different.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post