Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Territory Diesel sales going strong

No surprises here except for Ford under estimating demand for diesel. Ford should be criticised for not releasing diesel in Falcon. It will increase sales for Falcon and more than likely exceed EB4 sales

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2012...-busters-28848

Old 17-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Territory Diesel sales going strong

Finally, some good reporting :-)

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They also underestimated Mondeo diesel demand too. Great to see Territory doing well.

I'm not going to mix words here, diesel will be the only thing that saves Falcon.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Good news!
Old 17-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Finally, some good news..!
New Terry is a great looking vehicle, and having a diesel option makes it a very good proposition. Going to try to get my Dad into one later this year.

So whats the timeframe on a diesel Falcon? Is it soon??
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some good news... About F'ken time!! If only there was more like this one. I guess to some degree, good sales data means good articles & bad sales data makes bad articles! Hopefully Falcon sales can pick up & then good stuff will be written?

I'm starting to think people are right in say Diesel is the only thing that will save the Falcon. However, the biggest problem I see with that, is even if there said today "Lets do Diesel Falcon", it would still be 2 years away (going by how long it took for Territory Diesel & EB4 Falcon).. What do they do in the mean time??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stop it...you're making me wish I'd hung on a bit longer and not rushed in and bought the G6E a year ago...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AS much as I can current fords, my sister has an early one of these and its a great bit of kit, I recon forget the 4 banger falcon and do a diesel one and watch em sell

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Stop it...you're making me wish I'd hung on a bit longer and not rushed in and bought the G6E a year ago...
A Territory Titanium Diesel would kill your Falcon on the roads you travel... I know because I travel on similar roads with both cars... The Falcon is no comparison, even with 300+ kw :(
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vfacts for March will be interesting!!! Tezza outselling the Falcon ???
Old 17-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I admit it would have been good to see ford go with diesel falcon earlier but maybe its too late. Seeing as in ausralia we end up getting things delayed compared with the rest of the world..it takes a quick look to see that mercedes and others have allready started moving away from diesels.Maybe ford have done their homework and know exactly what their doing....we cant forget thebiggest fact here...we are a small market
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
I admit it would have been good to see ford go with diesel falcon earlier but maybe its too late. Seeing as in ausralia we end up getting things delayed compared with the rest of the world..it takes a quick look to see that mercedes and others have allready started moving away from diesels.Maybe ford have done their homework and know exactly what their doing....we cant forget thebiggest fact here...we are a small market
I don't think so.. From Cars Guide BMW’s new M Performance diesel range has been revealed bringing V8-beating performance in a triple-turbo package.

BMW is pinning its hopes of increased sales success in the performance car ranks to a revolutionary tri-turbocharged 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder diesel engine set to make its public debut in a range of potent new four-wheel-drive M division-developed models at the Geneva motor show in March.

The M550d xDrive sedan, M550d xDrive touring, X5 M50d and X6 M50d have all been conceived to provide performance approaching that of their celebrated petrol engine M division siblings, but with vastly better fuel economy, significantly lower carbon dioxide emissions and more affordable pricing.

The four cars represent an M division first, with all running a newly developed version of the German car maker’s 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder common rail diesel engine.

Advertisement: Story continues below

It adopts a patented tri-turbo induction system that BMW sources suggest is set to revolutionise the efficiency and performance credentials of traditional combustion engines, both in diesel and petrol formats.
Old 17-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Out of curiosity though for everyone saying bring on a Diesel Falcon although it would take years to engineer.....would it?

I love the idea of a diesel Falcon, I would not buy one but I think the market it there. However I don't know that it would take too long for them to engineer it. I was under the impression that the engine bay between Territory and Falcon are very very similar (after all they use the same petrol engine). So with any luck it wouldn't be too hard to drop it in. Only would need minor changes to the computer I imagine to adjust for only 2 wheel drive. Plus it'd be up for better economy (lower weight and driveline resistance) and performance.

So I it's a thing I could see happening in 10-15 years time when the diesel Territory is cheap 2nd hand, people swapping the diesel out and throwing it into the Falcon. Maybe Gothefalcon's new car in 10 yrs time?
Old 17-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

IMO, Ford should be offering Ecoboost I-4 in RWD Territory and see what sort of response comes back.
I have a feeling that an EB TX at $39,990 drive away would suit a lot of people who buy other brands,
Couldn't hurt and it gives buyers another good option, especially if it gives 8.8 to 9.0 l/100 km.

Diesel is a state of mind, a psychological purchase and while sales in smaller vehicles may be modest,
the fuel savings potential in a large car is similar to that achieved in a 1700 kg SUV....C'mon Ford have a go..

If I could only have three engines going forward in Falcon and Territory, I would choose 2.0 EB, V6 Diesel and 5.0 V8.
I think those three engines offer much more distinction in purpose and character, the I-6 seems like it's lost in the middle
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
IMO, Ford should be offering Ecoboost I-4 in RWD Territory and see what sort of response comes back.
I have a feeling that an EB TX at $39,990 drive away would suit a lot of people who buy other brands,
Couldn't hurt and it gives buyers another good option, especially if it gives 8.8 to 9.0 l/100 km.

Diesel is a state of mind, a psychological pirchase and while sales in smaller vehicles may be modest,
the fuel savings potential in a large car is similar to that achieved in a 1700 kg SUV....C'mon Ford have a go..

If I could only have three engines going forward in Falcon and Territory, I would choose 2.0 EB, V6 Diesel and 5.0 V8.
I think those three engines offer much more distinction in purpose and character, the I-6 seems like it's lost in the middle
But with the extra weight a 4 cylinder Territory would suffer... Extra weight, less power.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
But with the extra weight a 4 cylinder Territory would suffer... Extra weight, less power.
In a 5-seat RWD TX that would potentially weigh 60 Kg less (1910 Kg) the likelihood is that
buyers from other brands would be more accepting than Ford's own engrained followers..

This is after all why Ecoboost exists, not to convert I-6 buyers but to draw others to the brand.
Ford already has Ecoboost in Edge (1810 Kg) and Explorer (2,000 Kg)
Old 17-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Curb weight 2013 Explorer 2.0EB 4448lbs (2022kg). Territory TX RWD 5 seater 2021kg, 7 seater 2055kg and that seems to be the general concensus. Great engine in the lighter by 220kg Edge but a little overwhelmed by the weight of the Explorer...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Curb weight 2013 Explorer 2.0EB 4448lbs (2022kg). Territory TX RWD 5 seater 2021kg, 7 seater 2055kg and that seems to be the general concensus. Great engine in the lighter by 220kg Edge but a little overwhelmed by the weight of the Explorer...
SZ Territory TX 5 seater is 1967 Kg, with 60 Kg reduction, it becomes a 1907 Kg SUV, closer to Edge....
Old 17-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #19
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, you're right. Was using the diesel figures, which are higher.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Sorry, you're right. Was using the diesel figures, which are higher.
Meet you half way, I agree that bigger and heavier Explorer might be a slug, but a 1900 Kg EB Terry wouldn't disgrace....
Not for traditional Ford buyers, maybe ex CX-7, RAV4, CRV, Carptiva buyers?

I'm waiting for some smarty to suggest I buy my own idea......maybe I would in a couple of years...
Old 17-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
No surprises here except for Ford under estimating demand for diesel. Ford should be criticised for not releasing diesel in Falcon. It will increase sales for Falcon and more than likely exceed EB4 sales

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2012...-busters-28848
Excellent article and quite balanced on the whole.

The first part of the following quote is terrific to read. It also confirms what I have been seing heaps of times. ie Territory Titanium TDCi are everywhere here in Newcastle. Pretty much since they went on sale. What I find uncomfortable is the second part of this quote from Ford Brand Communications Manager Neil McDonald.
Quote:
"Territory's probably getting momentum too, in the market, with awareness of diesel. [The sales skew in favour of diesel has] probably gone on a bit longer than maybe we thought, but the expectation would be that it will probably settle down to some equilibrium at some stage."
The equilibrium is that diesel is at 70%.

Quote:
As of the end of 2011, petrol Territory sales stood at 6759 (including SY II models sold during the first half of the year), diesels accounted for 7107 after less than seven months.
Quote:
"Obviously with EcoBoost and I6 and EcoLPI — plus the diesel for Territory — it's a pretty good combination."
Indeed it is!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
stang65
FPRJET

Awesome news.
Old 17-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So, if the territory can gain sales, and the EB4 add at least a few more to the falcon, it could be a positive sign...yes/no?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: Territory Diesel sales going strong

I disagree with the equilibrium being 70%. 4WD sales seem to be around 85-90% diesel powertrain according to Toyota's and Mitsubishi's own research. Diesel Territory hasn't even been on the market for 12 months; it will be interested to see the March and April VFACTS to see diesel to petrol ratio's.

With acceleration of diesel powerplants approaching those of their petrol equivelant, without the fuel consumption penalty, diesel is becoming more popular in Australia. I'd buy a diesel Falcon ute in a heartbeat. Add a fuel tank capacity the same as the LPG ute (90ltr) and an effective touring range of 1200kms would not be unrealistic.

Considering I vowed I wouldn't by a Territory again after owning a Terri Turbo Ghia the diesel impressed me enough to buy two of the bloody things!
Old 17-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

What a poor article. Ford estimated from the start diesel would take up around 70-80% of sales, why claim they underestimated it when thats clearly false, and they made sure it would happen by dropping the AWD petrol version. And to top it off, dealerships basically do not stock petrol Territorys, they have to be built to order. But ask for a diesel and you will be told you can have one in any colour you would like, like my mate was a few weeks ago. He wanted a petrol one and was told none available, but we've got diesel in any colour you want.

With the high aussie dollar they are probably buying them quite cheap and with the $3250 extra they cost its probably very profitable for Ford.

And forget diesel in Falcon, Ford will not continue on with Falcon past 2016 and will not spend any more money on engine choices after Ecoboost goes on sale. Come 2014 and they won't even be touching the I6 either, it will be nothing but better aero, lower friction autos and less rolling resistance tyres to get better economy, just cheaper things to improve economy a little and make it look a little different. Just trying to keep it going with as little cost as possible. You don't waste money on a model you are killing off.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #26
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
And forget diesel in Falcon, Ford will not continue on with Falcon past 2016 and will not spend any more money on engine choices after Ecoboost goes on sale. Come 2014 and they won't even be touching the I6 either, it will be nothing but better aero, lower friction autos and less rolling resistance tyres to get better economy, just cheaper things to improve economy a little and make it look a little different. Just trying to keep it going with as little cost as possible. You don't waste money on a model you are killing off.
All unsubstantiated BS. Good for you for spreading the joy.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
Unsubstantiated? yes, but never forget that it's a real possibility given poor sales...
The next few months are crucial to the next product cycle and poor sales will seal Falcon's fate.

I pray that things pick up fast, we're down to the wire and Ford has to make a call...

Last edited by jpd80; 18-02-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
Its based on reality, from what I can see from the inside. I'm not saying it because i'm liking it, i'm saying it because its the most likely scenario.

Its a simple fact, no car can survive on such low sales, and unless things dramatically improve it has no chance of survival. Thats going to be near impossible with a company that seems to not want to back it with advertising, and with the public's confidence in the car absolutely shot due to the last year or two of constant negative media from people like Paul Gover, who seem to do their best to make sure no one buys it by constantly trashing Falcon.

Makes me angry but i'm telling it like I see it. Wish I was gloating about how well Falcon is doing but reality bites.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #29
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
with the public's confidence in the car absolutely shot due to the last year or two of constant negative media from people like Paul Gover, who seem to do their best to make sure no one buys it by constantly trashing Falcon.
AFF is making Gover look like a massive blue blood at the moment. i'm serious and i'm a bit puzzled as to why the forum admin let it continue for so long. the threads and comments on this forum lately are doing more brand damage than the media put together.

proof that it is infectious is the last couple of posts. normally 2 guys that are positive toward the brand.

january was a bad month but it was a short month and was hail affected also. next few months might be slow but the sky isn't falling just yet.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #30
Venomous1
5.0 means business

I-4T
I-6
I-6T
V8
Ford needs to add The Diesel to falcon then they have got it all.