Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
xp_wannabe

Default AU2 XR6 5 speed ute diff

What is the latest model diff that will fit in my ute? I assume a BF2 diff would go in? Is there anything to look out for when doing this swap? I would like to keep the same ratio and LSD

xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU2 XR6 5 speed ute diff

You will need a diff from another ute.

Check to make sure the tailshaft flanges on the B series are the same. I think the tailshafts are a 2 piece so they might not be the same.

If you want the same ratio and LSD why not look at rebuilding what you have?
Old 26-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

They bolt up the same, apart from the way the hand brake cable mounts to the diff. It is nothing a hose clamp can't fix, but then it doesn't work 100%.

I did have previously in my ute the diff from a BA XR6 (open center) and that was the only problem.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
xp_wannabe

Thanks guys.

My ute has 210,000 and the diff is very noisy, mainly on deceleration but also noise on accel too.

Had a gearbox place check it out and they said "diff has lost all preload, wheel bearings very noisy".

If I rebuilt it, would it need new gears? I would keep the ratio it has, as I do alot of highway km's.

If I removed the diff assembly from the ute, cleaned it up and took it in to a diff shop, got them to rebuild it (keeping original gears) and re-installed it myself, how much roughly can i expect it to cost?

Thanks, mark
xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post