Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Default What to do with a day off?

Well I had a day off on Friday, and didn't have much to do until that night (when I was flying out to Qld :-D), so I decided to paint my calipers. It's probably the simplest mod anyone could ever do yet it is so effective! Took me about 3 hours to do the fronts (including drying time, and plenty of smokos!!), but am yet to do the back because I had to go interstate that night. Took some progress pics of the job, and will post the finished job once I get time to take a few more photos.

I thought I'd take the time to do another simple, cheap, but really effective mod - (globe costs $7 from Dick Smith - link - http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/P8622)

And then again, this morning, I got another mod in the mail. This one was a bit more expensive, but is my favourite so far. I got them from www.teamtorquesteer.co.uk, and I must say, their service was wonderful. Fast delivery (around 5 days), and I got a $45 discount. Plus, they all have RHD too, so their parts are a perfect match for ours, whereas www.european-parts.net are LHD, and may not have our parts available, and these were such items.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :

Last edited by edgecrusher89; 25-02-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Fix up all the image links
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
BlackLS
yum

Awesome mods

A mod I've always wanted to do, just never the time :(

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Here' me thinking you went sailing or jet skiing or gliding on your day off. I'm a fan of what you've done with the Reverse/Fog lights and how clean are your inner guards!

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
GSR
Focus LT

Nice Mods, luv those rear lights.
But I did think of 1 or 2 better things to do on a day off.....
GSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well on my day off I went to buy service parts for my car. Not as exciting as modding my car. Looks good. What did you use to spray you calipers?

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Here' me thinking you went sailing or jet skiing or gliding on your day off. I'm a fan of what you've done with the Reverse/Fog lights and how clean are your inner guards!
The inner guards are only clean because the car's only 3000km old!! Don't tell anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR
But I did think of 1 or 2 better things to do on a day off.....
The Mrs. was a work :P

Old 25-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Well on my day off I went to buy service parts for my car. Not as exciting as modding my car. Looks good. What did you use to spray you calipers?
Used CRC "Brakleen" as a spray on to clean them, along with some steel brushes, then used VHC Brake Caliper Paint with a few paintbrushes to paint. Used paintbrushes because it was way more accurate, only had to do two coats, and there was no chance of overspray onto the (newspaper covered) rotor. All up cost around $25 from Repco.

Old 25-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool thanks for that. Might have to get my hands dirty for a change.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
NO2
Old Man

I was taken by the lights, been looking at the angel eye headlamps too.
My training and age though took over when I saw you had the car on a jack and your leg underneath the caliper.
While the likelihood is low of the car coming off the jack the consequences are serious.
A big block of wood sitting stable underneath the strut will provide a backup if you don't have stands.
Don't want to sound an old grump but to work safely before you start always ask yourself what can go wrong.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO2
I was taken by the lights, been looking at the angel eye headlamps too.
My training and age though took over when I saw you had the car on a jack and your leg underneath the caliper.
While the likelihood is low of the car coming off the jack the consequences are serious.
A big block of wood sitting stable underneath the strut will provide a backup if you don't have stands.
Don't want to sound an old grump but to work safely before you start always ask yourself what can go wrong.
Yeah I know. I actually bought stands for the purpose of doing this job, but could not for the life of me find the correct mounting point for them after the car has been jacked up. Believe me, I stressed long and hard about whether the jacks were gonna hold up or not, even knowing that they probably wouldn't. I still have to do the backs (prob thursday), so if you could get under the chassis and take a photo, then circle it out to me where to jack it and where to put the stands that would be greatly appreciated. Or anyone that could do that would help me out a great deal.

Old 26-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Do you have enough air fresheners?
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Do you have enough air fresheners?
lol You say that and you haven't even seen them all ;). Nah kidding, they're the only two. My car started to smell like crap after the new car smell disappeared, and one wasn't enough to get rid of the smell.

Old 27-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Here's the photos all finished. Gave my baby a clean today too, so it looks mean as. Just gotta debadge it ::

Old 27-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
GSR
Focus LT

Have you thought about dropping it a couple of inches?
Old 27-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR
Have you thought about dropping it a couple of inches?
Yeah I have. I gotta wait a bit for the money, but they're next on the shopping list

Old 27-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #16
GSR
Focus LT

Forgot to mention that it looks great and the blue calipers really stand out.
Great Stuff
Old 27-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #17
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Looks good! Bodykit would make it look even better.

What tyres are those?
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #18
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Looks good! Bodykit would make it look even better.

What tyres are those?
The wheels are Advanti Racing 'Medusa', and the tyres are Accelera 205/50R17. Only put them on last night so haven't really had a chance to ride them in yet. Never heard of the brand before, so I was a bit hesitant about them, but supposedly they're good. Anyone heard anything about them before?

Old 27-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #19
skriblz06

Looks great. I agree with Turbodiesel. Bodykit on the car would make it look even better.

If your are thinking of getting a bodykit for your car I recommend you get in contact with the guys at SSV. Steve (the owner) dealt with me through the whole process and was a real pleasure to do business with them.
skriblz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #20
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, why did you bother masking it up? Even if you did get overspray on the disc, as soon as you start driving it's gonna be cleaned off anyway.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #21
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_eb_fairmont
Ok, why did you bother masking it up? Even if you did get overspray on the disc, as soon as you start driving it's gonna be cleaned off anyway.
I'd rather be sure, and the brakes aren't something I'd like to take a risk with . I'm sure that they would be alright, but I'm a perfectionist, and didn't want to make too much of a mess

Old 28-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #22
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Is that a A9X Torana parked out on the street? Or just a "regular" Torrie? I can see it's got a black bonnet but can't tell whether it's got one like the A9X.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #23
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Just a regular one

Old 28-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #24
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrusher89
The wheels are Advanti Racing 'Medusa', and the tyres are Accelera 205/50R17. Only put them on last night so haven't really had a chance to ride them in yet. Never heard of the brand before, so I was a bit hesitant about them, but supposedly they're good. Anyone heard anything about them before?
Thanks, can you let me know the price if you don't mind? I recently purchased some genuine LS Zetec wheels and I'm wondering roughly what 205/50 tyres are going for these days.

I've had enough of the 16" LX wheels, too small!
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #25
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Thanks, can you let me know the price if you don't mind? I recently purchased some genuine LS Zetec wheels and I'm wondering roughly what 205/50 tyres are going for these days.

I've had enough of the 16" LX wheels, too small!
I bought the wheels and tyres as a package from my mate, so I got a heavy discount on the whole lot. The lot retailed for around $2000, but I got them for $1400. I assume the tyres would cost anywhere upwards of $400. Guess it just depends on the type of tyre that you want, eg whether you want the ones that are so low profile you barely see the rubber (like Zetec20's rims :P)