Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Stress and smoking

Has anyone heard of a scientific link between smoking and stress relief? This thought popped into my head today because in the last couple of weeks I've lost my job and my car has been destroyed in a fire and I'm feeling pretty stressed out at the moment. With no real job prospects yet and the insurance company trying to fob me off with my car I have been smoking quite heavily (about 10 - 15 smokes a day).

I actually kicked the habit a couple of years ago, although I still smoke casually with mates over a few beers, but this sort of heavy smoking is unusual for me. I genuinely feel like it is helping me deal with the stress. What do you guys think?

Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think its more of a mental thing..
i smoke quite a bit, but i agree, i smoke more when i'm stressed.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Steffo
LPG > You

Maybe you're unconsciously trying to kill yourself faster to end the stress? :P

That's the only explination that would make any sense to me...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Has anyone heard of a scientific link between smoking and stress relief? This thought popped into my head today because in the last couple of weeks I've lost my job and my car has been destroyed in a fire and I'm feeling pretty stressed out at the moment. With no real job prospects yet and the insurance company trying to fob me off with my car I have been smoking quite heavily (about 10 - 15 smokes a day).

I actually kicked the habit a couple of years ago, although I still smoke casually with mates over a few beers, but this sort of heavy smoking is unusual for me. I genuinely feel like it is helping me deal with the stress. What do you guys think?
Absolutely. I think it's the endorphin release you get when lighting up, makes the stress disapear momentarily... i.e. the habitual side of it. Also, nicotine as a drug is fairly 'settling' - more so when your brain has a chemical dependance on it... i.e. the drug addiction side of it.

I know on a bad day they help me out, but then i smoke a fair bit on a "good" day. Would be nice to get by without em but *meh*.

Smoke em if you got em.
Old 27-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #5
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've heard about it, can't remember where, about people relying on different things for stress relief. People deal with stress in different ways, obviously the way your picking isn't healthy but if you find it helps you (until you can find something else) thats the main thing...
When i'm stressed I
1. Never get behind the wheel of a car - you can lose concentration too easily
2. Never drink - getting hammered will never solve anything
3. Actually find something to keep me occupied eg: walking, pulling my car apart (even if it isn't needed), and even gardening!
4. Talk about it, cant emphasis enough how much it helps!!

I hope your luck turns around for you soon!! All the best
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Mike you will feel better because you need the nicotine, give them away, you will be better off in the long run, i smoke 30 a day, but i have not had one in nearly a month, i feel better already.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Mike you will feel better because you need the nicotine, give them away, you will be better off in the long run, i smoke 30 a day, but i have not had one in nearly a month, i feel better already.
So, if we need you, we can find you in the corner kicking the cat? :

I hate smoking... almost as much as I hate trying to quit.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Absolutely. I think it's the endorphin release you get when lighting up, makes the stress disapear momentarily... i.e. the habitual side of it. Also, nicotine as a drug is fairly 'settling' - more so when your brain has a chemical dependance on it... i.e. the drug addiction side of it.

I know on a bad day they help me out, but then i smoke a fair bit on a "good" day. Would be nice to get by without em but *meh*.

Smoke em if you got em.
I heard the opposite. I thought nicotine was a stimulant and raised the heart rate etc... so wouldn't smoking make you more stressed???

I only smoke rollies casually with drinks, so what would I know :P

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive heard that nicotine intially raises your heart rate but then relaxes you. I dunno if its a mental thing but I always feel relaxed after one.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner

im pretty sure its got to do with the endorphin release,people who dont smoke rely on the chemical reactions from the human body to release the endorphins to calm them down.

the people who smoke have to rely on smokes to calm them down as the brain has got a dependance on the smokes for the endorphin release,thats why it is so hard for people to quit as they dont have smokes to calm themselves down.

my 2c :

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quit smoking and take up a better habit - masturbation. Much better for you imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #12
Damo
Banned

what about both bindi ?

I find I smoke more when i'm stessed, which is most of the time, so I smoke heaps. :S
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
So, if we need you, we can find you in the corner kicking the cat? :

I hate smoking... almost as much as I hate trying to quit.
That about sums it up, gives you roid rage !! not that i would now what thats like.
BTW, i'm suprised you can afford to smoke with a car hobby and 4 children, my wife and i gave up togethor, saved $160.00 a week.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 27-09-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Quit smoking and take up a better habit - masturbation. Much better for you imho.
Aha ha haa haaa

But smoking does the opposite to stress than you think. It is actually worst. However, it does take your mind of the reason for stress and keeps the brain pre-occupied so it tricks you.

In fact, anything that takes your ming of stress is good, primarily. Something that does this but negatively effects you health is bad.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #15
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I heard the opposite. I thought nicotine was a stimulant and raised the heart rate etc... so wouldn't smoking make you more stressed???
That's exactly right. It does raise your heart rate. Watching fancy documentaries years ago has paid off lol.

As to why your heart rate goes up whilst you "calm down" I can't remember what was said about that. Placebo effect or something ???

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #16
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AAAhhhhh the dreaded nicotine...yes it does relax you if you are an addict which I am...however it also has an effect of increasing your analytical/reasoning power for 4 mins after.

I used to be a 40 a day bloke but have been cutting back the last few months am now a 25 in 2 days bloke feel better and more $ in pocket.

Mike when all your hassles are cleared up try and give it up...won't be easy but as has been said you will be better off....I am aiming for no smokes by august...tried cold turkey...got reaaly cranky so am weaning myself off.

Hope it all works out and good luck.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 10:18 PM   #17
Yummy Mummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
what about both bindi ?

I find I smoke more when i'm stessed, which is most of the time, so I smoke heaps. :S

God Damo you scared me, I thought you were going to say you smoke more when you masterbate.
Yummy Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #18
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
WORKS FOR ME . MAYBE THATS WHY I DONT SMOKE . TOO BUSY CIGAR PULLING . MUST BE A PROFESSIONAL .
seriously though i think it would more so be a nervous reaction though wouldn't it mate . thats why youd be smoking more.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 12:49 AM   #19
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:

Hmmmm, I spose BOTH involve lots of gasping and shortness of breath, BOTH have certain tempory pleasures and stimulation benifits?...
What it comes down to Bindi, IS... Nicotine fingers Vs Calluses???
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 03:17 AM   #20
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Ash is MUCH easier to clean up Bindi.....

I smoke more when I'm stressed too, Interesting thread this, Its funny to see that most smokers find a cigarette to be a stress releif as well. :

I started smoking as more of a habit due to some stresses in my life that ran rampant last year so I guess theres a link...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 08:04 AM   #21
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Quote:

Havent heard of it but i did hear this morning that coffee is good for you all those anti-oxidants.
NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #22
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

What I need is KFC, coffee beans and some tea bags, wrapped in a giant tobacco leaf and lit with blow torch.

mmmmmm life ending :sm_drool:

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #23
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Quit smoking and take up a better habit - masturbation.
Have you considered therapy? How the hell did you turn a smoking thread into sex? :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #24
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Haha, I'm already a regular :P Seriously guys I appreciate all you comments, turned out to be rather an interesting topic of discussion. Maybe this is a job for wikipedia?
Old 28-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #25
hrtrip
I Hope Holden Dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
When i'm stressed I
1. Never get behind the wheel of a car - you can lose concentration too easily
2. Never drink - getting hammered will never solve anything
3. Actually find something to keep me occupied eg: walking, pulling my car apart (even if it isn't needed), and even gardening!
4. Talk about it, cant emphasis enough how much it helps!!
thats really strange cos i do the exact opposite:
i always go for a drive when im stressed - gives me time to think
i drink... to get drunk - im happy when im drunk
i dont like to be occupied - i like to kick aaround the house and try to relax
i hate to talk about it - especially to gossips

i also smoke like a chimney - about 15 a day depending on whether im with the missus or not (really strange saying that i have a missus, young love...)

funny that we are almost exactly the opposite Melz, you know what they say opposites attract... ok im losing it, im having a ciggie now lol

Icon Blue BFII Fairmont
Stock as a rock... :(

Last edited by hrtrip; 28-09-2005 at 11:19 AM.
hrtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #26
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Lol, sound theory but dont know if I can manage 25 a day....
Old 28-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #27
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtrip
i hate to talk about it - especially to gossips

I hear that, I never talk about my problems. My mates were shocked to find out I lost my job, but even more so that I hadn't told anyone. For some reason I have no problem talking on internet forums about it, probably because no one knows who I am. I hate telling people I lost my job, it makes me feel ashamed and I feel like a total loser.
Old 28-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #28
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

How can you afford to smoke if you just lost your job. I say give it up that way you'l get another job easier anyhow. I do believe that it is stress relieving though but then so is sex and thrashing a car.
Old 28-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #29
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

[QUOTE=Mike Gayner]Has anyone heard of a scientific link between smoking and stress relief?

Yes I have heard that smoking contributes to stress !

One of my ex girlfreinds once told me my masterbation was a little embarresing to her . I told her if she was that embarressed , She should move to another seat on the bus !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior

Last edited by Blue Oval Mopar Man; 28-09-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #30
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

[QUOTE=Blue Oval Mopar Man]
Quote:
Has anyone heard of a scientific link between smoking and stress relief?

Yes I have heard that smoking contributes to stress ! :
And dont feel like a looser Mike , we have all been there ! Just be the best looser you can , and then come back and show the world what your made of ! I have made the mistake of feeling sorry for myself for a bit! But now I make it a point of acheiving something for myself every day !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post