Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

Default What has your car been infested with?

I don't know if this is in the right place, or if its been done before... But thought it might be interesting to see peoples stories/remedies of creepy crawlies inhabiting their cars! I remember ages ago someones car was infested with ants from an open can of coke...

Here's mine: huntsmans
...well sort of. I've seen two so far. A few days ago one jumped on my shoulder from somewhere while i was driving. Scared the crap out of me at first, needless to say! Then last night as i was pulling out of the driveway in another car i saw one scuttling around on the side of my tray, under my wheels etc. It was HUGE!

So now i'm convinced my ute is a paradise for huntsmans! I'm not afraid of spiders at least so that's helpful. Does anyone have any solutions? I don't really wanna kill them but i guess i have no choice, other than just putting up with it.....

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG, don't get me started on huntsman! Twice I have almost had a massive car accident because I have seen one of those bastards on the rear windscreen! My mate almost punched me in the face because I reacted in such a way he thought we were about to die! : I hate spiders.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate the things too.

How do they get in the car?

I never want to be in that situation.
Old 13-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin_Girl
I don't know if this is in the right place, or if its been done before... But thought it might be interesting to see peoples stories/remedies of creepy crawlies inhabiting their cars! I remember ages ago someones car was infested with ants from an open can of coke...

...well sort of. I've seen two so far. A few days ago one jumped on my shoulder from somewhere while i was driving. Scared the crap out of me at first, needless to say! Then last night as i was pulling out of the driveway in another car i saw one scuttling around on the side of my tray, under my wheels etc. It was HUGE!

So now i'm convinced my ute is a paradise for huntsmans! I'm not afraid of spiders at least so that's helpful. Does anyone have any solutions? I don't really wanna kill them but i guess i have no choice, other than just putting up with it.....
As it is summer leave the car out in the full sun all day the heat will knock them off - don't fill the car with fly spray as it will stuff the plastics in the interior
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
The Mighty Red

LOL.....the biggest Huntsman I have ever seen "was" living in the boot of our car, we were getting the shopping out of the boot when the missus suddenly leapt 3 foot up 6 foot backward and let out possibly the loudest scream I have heard.....I got it out without killing it much to the wife's dismay.
I had a fairly big huntsman run down my chest and down my leg when I was moving the kids trampoline a couple of months ago ,that was a freaky feelin
Old 13-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin_Girl

Can I suggest you just kill em anyway. I hate spiders.

Buy a fogger bomb, not the aerosol spray can bombs, the fogger bombs. Sit the cardboard can in water and it fills the car with fog, gets behind the dash and other nooks and crannies. Then just wipe the car out to remove the dust. After watching the ads on TV, I dont recommend using a Maseur sandal.

Way back when I was a kid, a mates mum came to a screeching halt in the middle of the road and just abandoned her car screaming with kids still inside. She had looked to her speedo and it was full of one huntsman.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
paul_r_d

I had a wasp fly into my car when I had the window down one summer. I very quickly pulled over, and was trying to shoo it out with a newspaper in the back. The bugger wouldnt get out. People driving by must of thought I was some crazy idiot.

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
mrxy8
I Loove Australia

Ha Ha, I despise them too.
Once we stopped on the side of the highway and bought a watermelon from a guy. I chucked it up on my shoulder and got back into the car.
My wife was driving and and I was in the passengers side (obviously). We just started moving and this huge huntsman crawled off the melon that was on my lap up onto my chest. I freaked and jumped out of the moving car with the melon. I refused to get back into the car until she found and removed it. Then I sat covered in melon and panicking all the way home.
Then, a couple of months back I loaded the kids into the car to go and get something for tea cos my was at work and I didn't feel like cooking. We backed out of the driveway and went around the corner when my daughter let out this horrendous scream, so I yelled what's wrong? She managed to blurt out spider and I turned around and saw the biggest huntsman I have ever seen on her window. Just as I pulled over the spider jumped off the window and onto the seat next to her.
So we all bailed out of the car and the kids were balling their eyes out. I took my shoe off and started belting it but it wouldn't die, then it took a leap forward and scared the sh!t out of me. I freaked and locked the car and rang my wife to come and "save us". She turned up and politely collected the spider and released it in the grass. I promptly returned home and cooked my own tea. I'm such a wuss! :
mrxy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

That is hilarious!!! Your poor suffering wife!! So is her nickname Spiderwoman??
Old 13-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
mrxy8
I Loove Australia

It probably should be sucker for putting up with me!
Old 13-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
mrxy8
I Loove Australia

My cars over the years have been infested with ants, wasps/hornets, snakes, redbacks, and one of the utes where I used to work managed to become a bee hive!
Old 13-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
Jesk
certified nutter

Junkies my car has been infested by them!

My car was stolen and on its recovery there was a dozen or so used syringes in it!
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a group in my tail lights and some in the drivers mirror
Old 13-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

My car gets infested every morning at about 8:20 and again at 3:05pm.....

Kids, gotta love em in ya car....
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
andrewts
White Car Driver

Mates for me. As soon as you get a car and licence, you become their personal chariot.
Old 13-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My chev was infested with Wasps and Mice the mice had gone by the time I got it but the damage was there but I tell you what the wasps get really upset when you start poking arround under the dash and take the side out of there nest

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Previous owner of my car used to obviously eat alot in the car and when I got it it was infested with ants! After pulling the console apart and cleaning up copious amounts of crumbs they've slowly left.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
MarkIV

Mine had a resident mouse/rat. He used to grab all the kids rubbish from the back seat, drag it through the air vents and up into the dash to eat it. I had to virually strip the dash and console and clean out all the crap.

Unfortunately he ate all the vacuum lines as well and now my vents are stuck on demist!
MarkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #19
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

MOTHER IN-LAW
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #20
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

The thing with Huntsmans is if you dont kill them or at least get rid of them far away they will come back. They learn it's a good place to hide/live and keep coming back whether its the car, the house, or in my case the letterbox.

They hide in the wheel arches and make for the door jams when you stop. Thats how they end up in the car, they scurry in when you have the door open.

One day I was at the servo and a chick asked me if I could get a hunstman off of her car. It was in her rear wheel arch and she was worried it would get on her when she was filling up. So I flicked it off with the squeegy thing and it dissapeared under her car near the wheel somewhere. I just though it probably got on one of the pumps or something. Her car was parked diagonally ahead of mine in the same lane but would have been a good couple of car lengths ahead of mine. No other cars nearby.

Later that night getting back into the car i notice something on the front door jam. It was the bloody hunstman from the servo! But obviously it wasnt quite quick enough as it was on the panel where the door seal sits when the door is closed so was quite flat. Unfortunately it's guts had shot out everywhere though, not a nice thing to clean up in an awkward spot!

Apart from that I've had an ant nest behind my tail light, queen and all. I don't park under the trees at work anymore.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
jcxr
Tribal Elder

My XR is infested with the dreaded "Petrol- Gobbleus" bug, drinks all the petrol. Must be that or theres a hole in the tank.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #22
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got problems with McDonalds rubbish recently.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #23
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
My XR is infested with the dreaded "Petrol- Gobbleus" bug, drinks all the petrol. Must be that or theres a hole in the tank.
Bwahahahahahah. I like that one :
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #24
Addz08
"FEED IT"

I also had a Huntsman in my EL I used to have, was as big as my hand, scared the crap out of me, so I gased the boot, and the spider was never seen again, got know idea where it went.. AAHH..
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #25
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

My missus and I pulled up at a servo one night, I hopped out of her car and filled it up. Upon returning from paying for the fuel, I notice something on the bonnet of the car. Once realising what it is, I calmly ask my missus to pass me my camera.

It then crawled through the grille on the bonnet...

After popping the bonnet, I flicked it out of the engine bay with a window squeegy and crushed it... Needless to say my missus never wanted to get back in her car again! :P

While I'm on the topic of auto infestations, my dad once had a old POS toyota runabout, that collected so much water, the carpet was moist enough to grow mushrooms, toadstools and grass in the back...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #26
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ants are the only bugs I've had in the car. The only other infestation is empty coke bottles
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #27
jlef5

This is the worst story i have, I hate spiders but can kill them etc, my girlfriend hates them will run away screaming from them. Few weeks back, we went to her cousins house parked the car in the front yard with the windows slightly down (BIG MISTAKE).

After the day was done and we were leaving, Girlfriend got in the drivers side and i got in the passengers seat. Missus started the car and reversed it so it was now in the driveway at that point i looked over to talk to her and noticed something above her head, it was a huge huntsmen, one of the biggest i have ever seen, on the roof right above her head, it was less then an inch from touching her. I wanted to get her out of the car without her looking up, so i said come over me and get out of the car, but as we hadn't had the best day she just looked at me and said WHAT, i was fiddling with my seatbelt and said again get out of the car. yet again she said why and at what point i lost it and just yelled get the f u #k out of the car.

She then climbed over me and was out of the car before i could get my seltbelt off. When i finally got out of the car i showed her the reason for getting her out of the car at which point she screamed and ran inside. Took about 5 minutes to get him out, it kept running into the side of the seat and then when he was out, he got turned into a pancake. Sprayed the car with insect spray and locked it up for about an hour.

Girlfriend made me check the car before we could drive anywhere and even told me to drive, very rare with her car. She wouldn't drive her car for about 2 weeks and still doesn't like it now.

Only story wasn't there, but girfriend was travelling with her fqamily and noticed a huntsmen on the seat and jumped out of the car on the beach at about 40km/p.

I've since concluded that if there is a bug/insect or spider get out of my girlfriend's way.
jlef5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #28
Marlin_Girl

haha. I'm so glad spiders dont freak me out because i probably would have been in an accident!

Putting my car out in full sun would have been my first choice, except my car is in full sun, every day (well almost... this IS Albany after all)! I must have mutant heat insensitive huntsmans.... I think i'm going to have to try one of those fogger bumbs, or just put surface spray in all the nooks and crannies on the outside of the car which seem to fill with spider webs minutes after i've just removed them! :

pics of my ute HERE
Old 13-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #29
Marlin_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
Mates for me. As soon as you get a car and licence, you become their personal chariot.
Hencewhy i promptly changed to a ute!

pics of my ute HERE
Old 13-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #30
Josh L
Laser Driver?

I fcukn HATE huntsmens.

One particular night, we decided to shoot off for the last late session of a movie. On the way I noticed a largish huntsmen in the rear window. So we pulled over into a car park at a strip of shops, I freaked like a girl, my missus freaked like, well, a girl aswell.

When I went in for the kill, after a long pep talk to convince me I was NOT going to battle with Hercules, Goliath, Satan and Preditor at the same time, I misjudged and the bastard ran to the roof and then fell into a pile of clothes on my seat. Many words were said when that happened.

So I ended up emptying my back seat and car... like a girl... grabbing clothes with only one finger and thumb and pulling them out quickly, which in turn, if the huntsmen was flung out, I wouldn't have seen it anyway... big mistake, I need proof when it comes this hairy creatures of pure hell devil nasty not niceness.

As each item was flung out, I would step on it making sure to cover every bit of fabric, even my leather jacket got the stomp treatment. The only thing that didn't get the stomp was my Eureka flag.

So I said to the missus that the next person to pull into the carpark to goto the shops or atm... we'll ask them if they're scared of spiders and if they would mind giving us a hand.

So imagine this... a bloke pulls into the carpark, in his VS Commodore and sees some bloke, wearing a large range of Ford regalia, pulling clothes out like a girl, throwing them on the carpark ground and stomping on them (very prance like). I had to, I had to ask the Holden driver for help :(. That made me a sad panda.

He didn't find it, but we found it later, outside the car, where the driver's wind deflector meets the drivers window.

WE MISSED OUR MOVIE!

Josh.