Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do our boys deserve a flogging?
No, they're at war!! No rules beyond the Geneva Convention. 0 0%
No, but plastering the web was a dull move. A nudge will suffice; 0 0%
Yes, the Geneva Convention covers civilians and they should be sent home;; 0 0%
Yes - there is never a time or place for racism or slander and they should be discharged;; 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Scott

Default Australian Soldiers - racism thoughts..

So some of our lads are copping a flogging in the media and at base I expect over their posting of racists and defamatory remarks about Afghans (seemingly both civil and military) in the war in Afghanistan.

In my mind, I really can't see any issue beyond being silly enough to publish their thoughts on a global and public medium.

I've heard plenty of people both on the news and in the street condemning them as racists and to be honest, it annoys the hell out of me... and I'll tell you why.

We send these blokes off to war, trained and armed to the eyeballs and put an enemy infront of them. In their minds, their sole objective is to defeat that enemy - that enemy is, by default, marginalised/stereotyped/racially defined/religiously denominated/politically determined.

Why the bloody hell are people getting upset when our boys play the part we want them to? Are they upset that they live and breathe the fight?? Are they embarrassed that war really is black and white at the front line?

Well, I'm embarrassed that we as a nation even let this sort of dribble rate a mention. Yes it was silly to tell the world what they really think - but only so far as political correctness goes. It is a damned war after all.

Thumbs up from me blokes - keep fighting the good fight.

Poll attached for your thoughts..

Last edited by Scott; 26-03-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 26-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
DallasXR6

Default Re: Australian Soldiers - racism thoughts..

dont be verbally rascit, shoot them so they cant complain???

i have a few mates in the army that i went through highschool with a few years ago... Get to catch up every so often and can say, they are much harder people than they where at school... But the training and life they live i can honestly say id most likely struggle in the curcumstances which they survive..
Catch 22, they train to be resilient and not think twice about taking an 'enemy' life when the situation arises, along comes an edge which some people will frown upon...

Id rather a little hatred on the battle feild than request for facebook friends.

Red P's
Old 26-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

If you take a look at any of the old war veterans they hate asians and can't stand to be in the same room as them. I suppose when it kill them or be killed it would have to change the view you would have on the enemy. It's not like the footy field were you are enemies on the field and friends off. So it a bit harsh to train these guys to kill and them expect them to be politically correct.
Old 26-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

being at war It would be hard not to make negative comments about the enemy I think it helps them blow off steam and deal with the stress of being in a war zone. I really don't feel it is racism in the usual way it is an occupational thing that those who are critical would be hard pressed to understand without going through what they do.
I'm not usually a fan of racial taunts ( I was different when I was younger ) but these men risk their lives on a daily basis, can you expect them to say nice things about the enemy. I guess it just proves that things aren't always black and white ( no pun intended) but there can be infinite shades of grey
plese try to limit your responses to the issue, withour any racial slurs or this thread will crash and burn like often happens, there is room for inteligent discussion on this issue. It would be a shame to see it closed because of the usual suspects ( read the T&C if in doubt it's not hard)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 26-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

This is a topic best kept off these forums.
Old 26-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

In short, the following things are not permitted:
1. Posts about or containing references to: religion, race, politics, sensitive or controversial subjects.
Site Terms & Conditions
http://www.fordforums.com.au/announcement.php?f=5&a=2

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Closed Thread