Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Default What's the rules for Overseas visitors that get a fine ?

Just wondering what are the rules when an overseas visitor gets caught by camera speeding or running a red light and has left the country,do the authorities chase them up ?
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't think so,would cost more to chase than would collect.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Dodge
i like to be stroked

if its a hire car he or she must pay the fine because the rental company has their visa card # and will bill u, if its a personla car the driver wont loose points as the int liceance doesnt matter here. everytime i get a camera ticket i pay a backpacker 50 for their lic # and nominate them as the driver, i pay the fine or i cant get rego on my car .. same goes for us os. u can get busted but cant get done for it, I flew past a cop in LA doing 70 mph in a 35 zone and told him im on a plane in a week so >???? he said the ticket is no good for me as i would have to go to a court of law to settle the fine..i would be back in oz drinkn coldies b4 the court date would come up..
Old 07-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
everytime i get a camera ticket i pay a backpacker 50 for their lic # and nominate them as the driver, i pay the fine or i cant get rego on my car ..
now that is a top idea....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically, as an ex-copper I can tell you the police department won't waste tax payers' money chasing someone interstate let alone overseas. Many years ago, I pulled over a guy who was driving on an international driver's licence who had been living here for ten years. As the law stated you must change your licence within 14 days of taking up permanent residency. I asked him why he hadn't changed his licence and his response was, "I haven't DECIDED to take up permanent residency yet". I spoke to my superiors and the decision was made not to pursue him in court because there was a greater chance of the police not winning the case. And this was all based on the fact he had lived here for ten years, bought a house, kids were at school here, worked here, but he hadn't made the DECISION to take up permanent residence. A technicality, yes, but at the risk of losing tax payer's money wasn't worth the effort.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 12:44 AM   #6
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Yea they dont chase it up. Never thought of hte backpacler idea though hehe, thanks
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 AM   #7
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

they had a report on the news about this a few months back if i can remember correctly, and it was pretty annoying actually. cos these young british women were breaking the law just because they could, and their response to being asked if they were going to pay was (not necessarily verbatim, but basically along the lines of) 'why should we?', as in they didnt/couldnt see the reason why they should be made to pay the price for behaving like idiots while they are 'guests' in another country. their attitude made me kind of angry actually. obviously the backpacker ticket idea is completely different, but what im trying to say is that the loophole is pretty bad

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Just wondering what are the rules when an overseas visitor gets caught by camera speeding or running a red light and has left the country,do the authorities chase them up ?
Cheers John
My dad was in the RAAF and while in Malaysia, had a car accident and knocked a motorcyclist of his bike. After a few hours at the police station, he was told he would have to face court. Not long after he was posted back to Australia. We never heard anything about it. This was 1982
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh i have often wondered about this, or even just about interstate

when i was in sydney late last year i got snapped by a camera...and never heard anything back about it, so im wondering if maybe they just ignore the interstate thing due to it being run by a different department???

**please note: if youre from a department that may want to get me for it...i was joking**
Old 09-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #10
buickman
buickman

In the states I've been done once and so as my mate. They make you pay the fine on the spot. I got done for $120 US in Idaho and my mate that is in the pic got done for $70US for doing 98mph in a 70mph zone in Montana in both cases because we were not US citizens we had to pay the monies to the state troopers.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 01:02 AM   #11
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
In the states I've been done once and so as my mate. They make you pay the fine on the spot. I got done for $120 US in Idaho and my mate that is in the pic got done for $70US for doing 98mph in a 70mph zone in Montana in both cases because we were not US citizens we had to pay the monies to the state troopers.
buickman

hahaha did you go down the local pub a few hours later to see them seppo cops ****ing your fine up against the wall??? International people should be make to pay on the spot,give our cops a bit of beer money, and hopefully make them think that because they dont live here they dont have any right whatsoever to continually cut me off, park in the middle of the road, tailgate, sit 30 below the limit, indicate left to merge right, scream "No English" when i abuse them for the above etc etc

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #12
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an interesting experience the other day, I drive a company car registered in NSW with a NSW licence. I got caught a couple of months ago by an ACT revenue collection camera and the fine was sent to my company and then filtered down to me as the nominated driver.
When I paid it on the net there was a space to put my drivers licence number and state on the form which I left blank to see what happened. I got my reciept for the fine without ever submitting my Licence number. It will be interesting to see if the demerit point turns up on my NSW licence.
Regards,
Tote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #13
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH
Basically, as an ex-copper I can tell you the police department won't waste tax payers' money chasing someone interstate let alone overseas. Many years ago, I pulled over a guy who was driving on an international driver's licence who had been living here for ten years. As the law stated you must change your licence within 14 days of taking up permanent residency. I asked him why he hadn't changed his licence and his response was, "I haven't DECIDED to take up permanent residency yet". I spoke to my superiors and the decision was made not to pursue him in court because there was a greater chance of the police not winning the case. And this was all based on the fact he had lived here for ten years, bought a house, kids were at school here, worked here, but he hadn't made the DECISION to take up permanent residence. A technicality, yes, but at the risk of losing tax payer's money wasn't worth the effort.
Should have placed a sly phone call to Immigration. Even if they couldn't do anything at least it may have given that arrogant ***** heartburn!!

It f**king shits me to see these arseholes scamming Immigration laws. If they're doing that you can bet other aspects of their life are dodgy too.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #14
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
hahaha did you go down the local pub a few hours later to see them seppo cops ****ing your fine up against the wall??? International people should be make to pay on the spot,give our cops a bit of beer money, and hopefully make them think that because they dont live here they dont have any right whatsoever to continually cut me off, park in the middle of the road, tailgate, sit 30 below the limit, indicate left to merge right, scream "No English" when i abuse them for the above etc etc
They are most likely residents!!! :thebirds:

Seriously we should take up the US system. That'll sort them out.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB-maen
they had a report on the news about this a few months back if i can remember correctly, and it was pretty annoying actually. cos these young british women were breaking the law just because they could, and their response to being asked if they were going to pay was (not necessarily verbatim, but basically along the lines of) 'why should we?', as in they didnt/couldnt see the reason why they should be made to pay the price for behaving like idiots while they are 'guests' in another country. their attitude made me kind of angry actually. obviously the backpacker ticket idea is completely different, but what im trying to say is that the loophole is pretty bad
Any guest in my house that behaves like an idiot would be thrown out. Same principal should apply to the country!!