Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #61
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Everyones buying a new car.... is it your turn?

The only reason I would weigh up about how new or old my car was is if the age had a positive or negative influence on my earning capacity.

For instance, if in your game it may be that you seem a winner by the car you drive, it may result on your business being more successful.

Conversely, if you drive a crapbox people may assume you are no good at your job/business, and therefore your earning capacity reduces as a result on this perception by others.

Sad reflection on the shallowness of society- but there it is.

If it was not for this I would not give a flying hoot what others thought I drive, I am too selfish about what makes me happy, not others.

For instance, excluding a business perception setting, offer me a charger E49 with three side draft webbers or a new Mercedes benz 180 or 200 or whatever, I would go charger and not give a stuff what others thought.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 01-05-2015 at 02:32 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #62
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Hulk has strong opinions which you may not agree with
You're reading him wrong. He likes to provoke discussion/debate and gets a giggle out of it at the same time.

No I'm not in the market for a new car, but would love to put some money into my AU at some point.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #63
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
You're reading him wrong. He likes to provoke discussion/debate and gets a giggle out of it at the same time.
I don't agree.
I see him as a controversial figure who likes to hear what other people have to say, but has strong opinions of his own.

That his opinions seem to irritate others so much is a reflection on them, not Hulk.
I'm certain he's giggling about that, as am I.

We're all entitled to have opinions, and at the same time we're all entitled to not read them. It's pretty simple.

Anyway, carry on, it's an interesting thread...
4 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #64
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

Do you feel like its your turn to buy a new car? To keep up with the jones? Or do i let everyone get the better of me.
Hulk, do us all a favour please, bow into peer group pressure and buy a brand new car to keep the Jones' happy. Then, next time you are at the pub you will not feel inferior.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #65
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Doesn't irritate me in the slightest.
I just find it funny that someone feels pressured by society to buy a new car

Go and buy one then if the pressure is too much
Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #66
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regardless of ones income, some people just prefer the vintage look. And instead of shopping at Ikea, others prefer to accumulate furniture at Op-shops and garage-sales.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #67
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Its only "new" til the next model anyways, and the likes of Hyuandai, KIA and Toyota seem to churn em out pretty quick so it ain't new for long.
Anyhow, I don't feel the need to trade up my FPV GT for a KIA cerato because it has a new built in %$&# massager. The gizmos are OK initially but the novelty wears thin pretty quick. If your neighbors and friends are givng you grief, then it's not the car you need to trade in, its your entire social circle........

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 01-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #68
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Say what you like about Hulk, but at least he gives us something different to consider.
I actually see where he's coming from, only recently we bought a newish car for the missus, the bloke across the road actually told me to my face that he and his wife were jealous.
I said 'your takin' the **** surely'
'Nope.'
I said 'but you have a mortgage and a lovely house, you cant have it all on one wage'

A week later he bought a newish car and is now drowning in debt, im just shaking my head.

Some people do genuinely feel the need to keep up with those around them and will do so at any cost, its pathetic really.

I dont mind changing my car, i've had **** loads, but i dont buy one to impress anyone, i buy it coz i want it.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #69
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Say what you like about Hulk, but at least he gives us something different to consider.
I actually see where he's coming from, only recently we bought a newish car for the missus, the bloke across the road actually told me to my face that he and his wife were jealous.
I said 'your takin' the **** surely'
'Nope.'
I said 'but you have a mortgage and a lovely house, you cant have it all on one wage'

A week later he bought a newish car and is now drowning in debt, im just shaking my head.

Some people do genuinely feel the need to keep up with those around them and will do so at any cost, its pathetic really.

I dont mind changing my car, i've had **** loads, but i dont buy one to impress anyone, i buy it coz i want it.
I think your neighbour may have started this thread
Old 01-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #70
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
^^^^^^

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #71
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LMAO, good one.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #72
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why all the hate?

Money's cheaper than ever, with interest low....if it it makes you happy buy a new car.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #73
brennan.

Really going for it this time aye Hulk, it's like you're leaving us and having one last hurrah before the final curtain closes, a greatest hits of sorts. No nastiness meant here, just harmless banter.

Personally I wouldn't buy a brand new car ever, I'd go as new as 2008, although with Falcon's I'd go to current fgx but only when they're at about 170,000 km's.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #74
Shambles
Knucklehead

The problem with basing your self worth on a car, is that once you take the car out of the equation, what have you got?
6 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #75
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Boss got me a hire car the other day. Brand new. Turned more heads than my GT. Maybe they thought I stole it.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #76
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Champagne comedy!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #77
MrEL
Sick Puppy

What will be funny will be the thread when Hulkie wulkie goes shopping for said new car.
Prepare to be asked if society is looking down on us at a Ford dealer because they do not have pastries , a barrista and 5 ply crapper paper in the new sales area like he was told Mercedes does...........................
Old 01-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #78
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
What will be funny will be the thread when Hulkie wulkie goes shopping for said new car.
Prepare to be asked if society is looking down on us at a Ford dealer because they do not have pastries , a barrista and 5 ply crapper paper in the new sales area like he was told Mercedes does...........................
Oh to be the poor bloody salesman........
Old 01-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #79
HULK_I6T
Banned

Its going to be tough..

Not only do you have to buy a new car, but it must be at a calibre to compare with your peers. Not worse but not too far better either. For instance if they went out and bought a Nissan Patrol and you drive home in a Ford Kuga, they could look down on you and scoff/chuckle...

But on the other hand if they buy a Nissan Patrol and you strike back with a Range Rover, they could feel belittled and then in a knee jerk reaction, they up the Anti with a Porsche Ceyenne Turbo. So you dont want to hit too hard when its your turn, or the situation might escalate costing you much more than you think. When you upgrade its just a subtle slight advantage on your peers, not blow them to the weeds.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #80
Cranky243

Kids?...Are yours uglier than some therefor possibly needing to get some plastic work to keep up with the Jones's?

Where do we draw the line its going to be tough.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #81
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its going to be tough..

Not only do you have to buy a new car, but it must be at a calibre to compare with your peers. Not worse but not too far better either. For instance if they went out and bought a Nissan Patrol and you drive home in a Ford Kuga, they could look down on you and scoff/chuckle...

But on the other hand if they buy a Nissan Patrol and you strike back with a Range Rover, they could feel belittled and then in a knee jerk reaction, they up the Anti with a Porsche Ceyenne Turbo. So you dont want to hit too hard when its your turn, or the situation might escalate costing you much more than you think. When you upgrade its just a subtle slight advantage on your peers, not blow them to the weeds.
What are you smoking ?
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #82
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its going to be tough..

by posting that Hulk you're all too clearly testing the water for reactions and nothing more.

I had relos live near you in Swamphen until last year. You may have seen his mrs car in the area, tiny yellow Getz with, of course, set of mags. Hubby had a stupid white Mitsubishi 380 with equally stupid mags.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #83
prydey
Rob

Quote:
by posting that Hulk you're all too clearly testing the water for reactions and nothing more.
you seem very slow to catch on...... although you are not alone.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #84
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as i would like a nice new GT or XR8 or XR6 T , or even just a nice shiny Falcon eco lpi sitting in the driveway when im feeling all practical and old geezerish(no offence to anyone with a practical limo) ,
for me just having a car that looks respectable and is roadworthy and reliable is what matters to me.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #85
zilo
BANNED

Hulk...I would be sooooo embarassed driving an old car like yours.

Time you went to a dealer and bought a brand spanking new XR6T.

Yours must be a loose rattling bag of bolts by now?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #86
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Come on Hulk, start a new thread on the time you talked a salesman down on price on a late model AMG because there was a scratch on the mudflap. You know the one, where he took 30k off the top...........tell that one.......
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #87
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its going to be tough..

You just need to check mate them straight up mate, don't mess around. You need to roll up in a brand new AMG G63 6 x 6. No risk of one upmanship.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #88
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Oh to be the poor bloody salesman........
What response does he give to the inevitable "does my insecurity look big in this?"

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 01-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #89
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had relos live near you in Swamphen until last year. You may have seen his mrs car in the area, tiny yellow Getz with, of course, set of mags. Hubby had a stupid white Mitsubishi 380 with equally stupid mags.
Many LOLS Hulkster, anywhere near there, an EL wagon with about 200,000 kms on the ODO and 4 different hub caps would be considered a fairly new car.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #90
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as i'd love a new car, I like having a very small mortgage better, being a tradie driving an old EL falcon probably isnt a great look but its owned as well as my XB. I'd rather have a bit of financial freedom and sleep well at night than the stress of paying off 50k worth of ute.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread