Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2022, 06:54 PM   #2071
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

I’m in a privileged position to have a cabinet full of chemicals to deal with just about each and every detailing situation presented to me. Half the fun of detailing is finding and trying different products, the not so fun part is paying my hard-earned cash for them! Of course, there is a LOT of similarities and duplication between different brands, but that has not stopped me yet!

After Go Furthers post yesterday, this got me thinking about what I would buy if I was limited to only 10 or 12 products, and therefore what products would give the best bang for my buck. This list will be for chemicals only, tools and towels are another matter entirely. As you can hopefully see, I have chosen products that can serve multiple roles.

1. Car Wash Soap – In the name of versatility, this would be a pH neutral soap so that it can be safely used on all types of sealants, waxes and ceramic coatings. For more cleaning ability, simply add some APC to your soap mixture (See below). In my case, I would choose Koch Chemie GSF, which can be used in a foam cannon or bucket.

2. All Purpose Cleaner – When bought as a concentrate, an APC can be tailored to a variety of tasks. A strong dilution can be used for tyre and engine bay cleaning, a light solution for interior cleaning (including leather, fabric and carpet). It can also be used to clean rubber floor mats or added to your wash soap to increase cleaning ability when required. Koch Chemie Green Star is my choice, but Carpro MultiX or Meguiar's D101 are good choices too.

3. Wheel Cleaner – There are three main types of wheel cleaners; acid based, alkaline based and pH neutral iron removers. In this case, I would go for the iron remover type so that it can also double as a paint decontamination product. I would use Carpro IronX or Gyeon Iron.

4. Drying Aid – A lot of products can be used for this role, however I decided to go for a spray-sealant type for a couple of reasons that will become evident later on. In this case, I would choose between OG Drying Aid or NV Boost.

5. Rinse-less Wash – This is a product that can be used in several areas of the car, not just for rinse-less and water-less washing. It can be used for glass cleaning, interior cleaning and as a clay lubricant. When diluted to a quick detailer solution, it can also serve as a drying aid, however I prefer the use of the above for that role. I have three products I like for this role, but ONR feels the best across all the potential uses I have listed. ONR is also said to be a good bug remover.

6. IPA/Prep Spray – These are alcohol based and are primarily designed to remove oils and resins before applying a new coating or wax. That alcohol base means they double as a glass cleaner. Carpro Eraser is the best in this category.

7. Gyeon Can Coat – This is a very easy to apply lite ceramic coating that can be used on paint, plastic trims, glass and wheels, negating the need for multiple coatings or treatments. Your spray-sealant drying aid then maintains the coating.

8. Sonax Perfect Finish – This is an easy to use one step compound that can be tailored to the required cutting ability.

9. Tyre Dressing – For this situation, I would choose Carpro Perl due to its versatility. Can be used as a tyre dressing, engine bay dressing, exterior trim dressing and interior protection.

10. Leather Care – For leather, I would choose a combined leather cleaner and conditioner like Bowden’s Leather Love.

Optional - A good tar remover can be a life saver and will also double as an adhesive remover. For this role, I would choose Carpro TarX.

Optional – A spray and rinse type sealant makes coating wheels easy or topping up your existing coating. I have switched to the premixed Gyeon Wet Coat for this role.

If you are on a budget or simply don't want to have shelves and shelves of products, then you should be able to keep a car well maintained with those 10 to 12 products.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2022, 09:54 PM   #2072
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Waxit coming through with the good stuff again!

This order was prompted by a video from Sandro at Car Craft. In this case, he was showing how to detail door jambs, in the process using these plastic drop sheets to protect the interior while working.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/un...o&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Next, the blue Lake Country SDO pads in both 3.5 and 5.5 inch sizes. These are cutting pads that I have seen used for glass polishing, which would be for when an aggressive rayon glass pad is not needed.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...ue-cutting-pad

Staying with pads, I added a black 6 inch Shine Mate pad for wax application. And the white Scholl Foam Puck was intended to replace the applicator that comes with P21S Polishing soap, sadly it's too big to fit neatly inside the lid. Never mind, it will get used somewhere.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...hing-pad-4-6-7
https://www.waxit.com.au/products/sc...oam-paint-puck

Next, another product to fuel my soap addiction. Shine Supply Shift is a pH neutral soap that "contains no silicone, sodium lauryl sulfate, waxes, polymers or any other additives making Shift simply perfect for washing vehicles protected with ceramic coatings or vehicles with matte paint". The sniff test reveals a subtle lime fragrance.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/sh...ply-shift-soap

Auto Finesse Aroma is a bubble gum scented air freshener. This is your classic car wash fruity scent.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/au...pray-bubblegum

Bulking out the order, I grabbed another bottle of Carpro Clarify. I have missed the strange banana scent of this product.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/ca...y&_ss=e&_v=1.0
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #2073
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Hi DFB and all,
what is the best way to clean under a car that hasnt been cleaned ever underneath and is approx 17 years old. I have jacked it up used a good degreaser, another cleaner/degreaser, then the usual meguiars car wash i use, at all steps I agitated with a brush, then hosed down was my method. It came up obviously much cleaner but theres still old black road grime that wont budge without serious scrubbing. I am yet to try a pressure washer which will be my next move.

4 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #2074
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Hi DFB and all,
what is the best way to clean under a car that hasnt been cleaned ever underneath and is approx 17 years old. I have jacked it up used a good degreaser, another cleaner/degreaser, then the usual meguiars car wash i use, at all steps I agitated with a brush, then hosed down was my method. It came up obviously much cleaner but theres still old black road grime that wont budge without serious scrubbing. I am yet to try a pressure washer which will be my next move.

First of all, what a stunner that F6 is!! I think the BA version of the Typhoon was so perfectly executed, subtle aggression as they would say.

Ahhh, undercarriage cleaning. I think back to my early 20's laying on my back cleaning parts of a car only the mechanic would see. All done with a rag and bottle of soapy water.

I think you have gone about it the right way, using chemicals and a brush. The only other suggestion would be to pre-soak everything in a high alkaline cleaner like Shine Supply Wise Guy, leave it to dwell for 10 minutes and then blast it off with a pressure washer. I mention Wise Guy in particular because it is extremely potent and must be diluted.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...upply-wise-guy

Actually, thinking about this further, try looking at Bilt Hamber Surfex. This is another potent alkaline cleaner that can be diluted up to 100:1 or used neat where required.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...393cac5d&_ss=r

You can also get pressure washer attachments for this role -

https://www.amazon.com.au/Chavor-Pre...390234198&th=1

After that, re-access to see if further cleaning is required. You would then repeat the process, agitating with a brush before pressure washing.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #2075
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Thanks again DFB. Its been hard work keeping the typhoon mint and all original i must say. I have owned it for around 15 years now and the car is 17 years old! This pic was actually taken just before i started polishing and waxing lol. Its all original paint too except for the front bar. I have been watching too many detailing videos and they clean the undersides of the cars they do amazingly, im not after a show car underbody, but just one that is relatively clean and free of road grime/oils etc. I also did a full wheel/brake clean after some of your inspirational pics too. Ill send you my massage lady's bill!! Thanks again, G

8 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2022, 08:08 PM   #2076
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have never really been into SEMA until I noticed a lot of the top end brands are using the show as a launching pad for new generation products. Here are a few among many that have caught my eye today -

Carpro Reload 2.0 -

"Preserving the same ease of application, we managed to improve everything about Reload’s performance. In essence: more gloss, extended durability, improved chemical and environmental resistances. Originally formulated to maintain the protection and finish quality of CQUARTZ coatings, Reload has also proven itself as a standalone sealant, where it can offer up to 4 months of protection on daily drivers. Reload’s easy to use waterborne formula can be applied to all vehicle surfaces (even when damp), making it perfect for quickly topping up your vehicle’s protection and shine."

I have heard of issues with the application process and longevity of Reload in first generation form. To be honest, I have not experienced those issues, sure, you need to pay attention to the amount you use per panel, but the gloss and slickness is very good. Sounds like 2.0 Reload 2.0 will be worth looking into.

Carpro Fabric 2.0 -

"Traditional coatings make fabrics feel stiff and can clog the weave preventing breathability. We have developed nanoparticles small enough to attach to individual fibers, delivering superior performance characteristics without compromising the look, feel or comfort of the fabric and without clogging the fabric weave. In CQ Fabric 2.0, we’ve increased performance, while focusing heavily on the ease and comfort of application. We’ve minimised levels of VOCs and cut down drying times by a factor of 8! Fabric’s harsh solvent odors have also been removed. CQUARTZ Fabric 2.0 can be used on any material and performs great on cabrio soft tops. It is loved by detailers and sneakerheads alike!"

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Tire Shine -

Rupes have unveiled a number of new products including a new 3" battery polisher, Rotary Waffle pads and new microfiber pads. These products caught my eye though -

Rupes Reveal -

These appear to be alcohol prep sprays.

Rupes Uno Advanced -

"A New Easy To Use Light Compound With Incredible Durable Protection Up To 12 Months!"

Like I need any new products, but a few of these are certainly on my hit list.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2022, 12:35 PM   #2077
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ceramic tyre shine? Meguires are really reaching with that one.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2022, 06:42 PM   #2078
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ceramic tyre shine? Meguires are really reaching with that one.
Actually, Meguiar's are very late to the "ceramic" tyre dressing arena, but watch them sell millions of bottles.

Two that come to mind that have been on the market for a very long time now include Carpro Perl and Gyeon Q2 Tire.

https://carpro.global/catalog/perl/

https://gyeon.co/product/tire/
Mustang GT

Old 03-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #2079
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This product from Meguiar's is one that seems to be far-fetched, more so than ceramic tyre shines. This is a classic case of Meguiar's throwing as many darts at a board as possible, eventually they will hit a bullseye.

Meguiar’s Hot Rims Black Wheel Cleaner

"We all know black wheels can be sensitive. Hot Rims Black Wheel Cleaner is specifically formulated to powerfully clean sensitive black wheel finishes including glossy, matte, satin, and black chrome!
This specialized formula has a foaming gel that sticks for deeper, more effective cleaning!"

Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2022, 09:03 PM   #2080
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to see them do a video on easily cleaning the black wheels on the Mustang.
If it worked I would buy a tanker truck full of it.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2022, 09:14 PM   #2081
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I want to see them do a video on easily cleaning the black wheels on the Mustang.
If it worked I would buy a tanker truck full of it.
I once used all of these to deal with those bloody wheels..........

No chemical alone can get them clean, you really have to put the effort into those wheels. They looked pretty amazing when freshly cleaned though.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2022, 07:24 PM   #2082
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A few more Sema product introductions -

Carpro Release -

"Sometimes the pursuit of practicality and efficiency leads you to completely new discoveries. We’re happy to introduce CARPRO Release – our first wax-based nano-sealant dedicated to the protection of fresh ceramic coatings during their drying period. Release is designed primarily for busy detailing studios and impatient detailers, who want to avoid the pains of ceramic coating drying times. Every coating requires a period of time, when water contact, bugs, and bird bombs have to be avoided. CARPRO Release mitigates that by protecting the coating, allowing freshly coated cars to fully dry without the wait. Release couldn’t be any simpler to apply, and it can also be used as a standalone quick detailer!"

Carpro TarX Low Voc -

" We’re happy to introduce a new version of our proven tar remover: TarX – LowVOC. Motivated by the changing environmental regulations, we have reformulated TarX to meet them, while maintaining cleaning power. TarX LowVOC will be available exclusively in 4L jugs."

Carpro Hydro2 500ml Size -

"In response to your requests, we’re introducing the legendary HydrO2Lite in a handy 500ml version."

Carpro ClayLube -

"To avoid confusion with our Immortal PPF products, Immolube - our multi-purpose lubricant will change name to Claylube."

Carpro Darkside -

"Experience the power of the dark side! Here comes our NEW ready-to-use, highly concentrated tyre and rubber sealant!

CARPRO DarkSide’s 60% polydimethylsiloxane formula allows for a super quick and easy application with our dedicated tyre or microfibre applicators, leaving a beautiful satin shine look. It is equipped with all of our famous self-cleaning, hydrophobic properties, as well as UV and chemical resistance, prolonging the new look of your tyres. Every application will last up to 3 months!"

Meguiar's Ultimate Insane Shine Paint Glosser -

"Who wants more gloss, more depth, and more shine to their paint?! Everyone, right?!
Amplify gloss & color while concealing light swirls all with the convenience of a trigger spray!"

My notes -

Meguiar's can keep that stupidly named product, another example of too many products doing the exact same thing.

Carpro Release will definitely be on my hit list, perhaps even Darkside.
Mustang GT

Old 04-11-2022, 09:57 PM   #2083
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+ 1 for Darkside. Up to 3 Months would be insane.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2022, 10:09 PM   #2084
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I once used all of these to deal with those bloody wheels..........

No chemical alone can get them clean, you really have to put the effort into those wheels. They looked pretty amazing when freshly cleaned though.

With wheels you just keep going through brushs as well.
Got enough as well - in saying that, just like my black Sprint wheels, within a few weeks having it home its was bye bye into storage.
Those Pony wheels in black just kill me as well, off into storage quicker than switching off a light.
The wonderful feeling cleaning rims in half the time is a massive win and pleasure.

Yer DFB, look forward to your Darkside comments and lasting time
I'll be onto it or not after your aff blog lol......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2022, 10:42 PM   #2085
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

Yer DFB, look forward to your Darkside comments and lasting time
I'll be onto it or not after your aff blog lol......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp
+ 1 for Darkside. Up to 3 Months would be insane.
Carpro launched a long-term tyre product a couple of years ago called Blackout.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...arpro-blackout

As such, I'm confused where Darkside sits alongside Blackout. Most reports I see about Blackout are that it's very disappointing.

I want to try Darkside, but I don't think it will suit me. I strip and apply a new dressing after each wash, longevity is not a concern. So, a product that will last 3 months will be lost on me.

Waxit have indicated these new Carpro products will be hitting stores by the end of the year. Having said that, last year we didn't see new products from Sema arrive until the new year.
Mustang GT

Old 04-11-2022, 10:45 PM   #2086
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Still talking Carpro, I'm a little puzzled with the new Release.

Release is said to be for protecting a new ceramic coating during the curing period.

But that what Reload is for as well. So what is the point of Release.

I will definitely be trying Release, but is this the point in history where Carpro are now launching products to launch products. Like Meguiar's and Chemical Guys do.
Mustang GT

Old 05-11-2022, 08:38 AM   #2087
prydey
Rob

These tyre products that are meant to be long lasting. Do they not wash off when washing your car? Or are you meant to avoid washing your tyres?

On the topic of tyre dressing, I currently have Carpro Perl. I've used it a couple of times now undiluted but it's just too glossy. Should I dilute it down a bit or just wipe the tyres down with a cloth after applying, or both?
Old 05-11-2022, 08:46 AM   #2088
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Still talking Carpro, I'm a little puzzled with the new Release.

Release is said to be for protecting a new ceramic coating during the curing period.

But that what Reload is for as well. So what is the point of Release.

I will definitely be trying Release, but is this the point in history where Carpro are now launching products to launch products. Like Meguiar's and Chemical Guys do.

It does get confusing for the average car washing guy when there is a lot of overlap between products.

If I could only choose one brand I'd probably choose Carpro but they are guilty of getting quite a bit of overlap in their range. I guess they target a broad range of customers so they have something to suit every situation, but for people like me that can buy in to the marketing, it can be confusing... And expensive.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #2089
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
These tyre products that are meant to be long lasting. Do they not wash off when washing your car? Or are you meant to avoid washing your tyres?

On the topic of tyre dressing, I currently have Carpro Perl. I've used it a couple of times now undiluted but it's just too glossy. Should I dilute it down a bit or just wipe the tyres down with a cloth after applying, or both?
You could do either. I don't like the runnier consistency of Perl when diluted, it's messier. So, I would try it straight from the bottle and then buff it down after 15-20min and see what you think.

This is Perl at full strength and then knocked back -

Otherwise, these are the dilutions for Perl -

External Plastics: 1:1 to 1:3

Engine: 1:1 to 1:3

Tires & Rubber: Undiluted to 1:1

Interior Vinyl and Leather: 1:5

I would also advise using demineralized water when diluting to avoid variance or inconsistencies.
Mustang GT

Old 05-11-2022, 07:47 PM   #2090
prydey
Rob

I asked a few pages back about applying a 'topper' on ceramic coating as a bit of a 'boost'.

As usual DFB put forward a great list of products to choose from. I was going to go with the bead maker, but I had to order some more stuff from waxit recently so went with NV Boost v2.

I washed the Escape today and then gave it a coat of the new product. If I'm perfectly honest, there wasn't a discernible difference between where I'd done and where I hadn't however it did give the paint more depth and made it look smoother, as silly as that sounds. Being platinum white, it probably isn't the best colour to really pop. It is good though. I don't mean to come across critical because I'm not. Just trying to paint an accurate picture.

My FG in seduce used to really jump out at you when it was coated. Had great sparkle, that colour.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #2091
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I asked a few pages back about applying a 'topper' on ceramic coating as a bit of a 'boost'.

As usual DFB put forward a great list of products to choose from. I was going to go with the bead maker, but I had to order some more stuff from waxit recently so went with NV Boost v2.

I washed the Escape today and then gave it a coat of the new product. If I'm perfectly honest, there wasn't a discernible difference between where I'd done and where I hadn't however it did give the paint more depth and made it look smoother, as silly as that sounds. Being platinum white, it probably isn't the best colour to really pop. It is good though. I don't mean to come across critical because I'm not. Just trying to paint an accurate picture.

My FG in seduce used to really jump out at you when it was coated. Had great sparkle, that colour.
White can be very hard to make pop. Boost v2 is a great option though, offering better water behavior and slightly easier to apply than Bead Maker.

Mustang GT

Old 05-11-2022, 09:36 PM   #2092
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've recently tried Gyeon Ceramic Detailer over Gyeon Q2 wax as a drying aid on both cars, and it made a noticeable boost in gloss, on both the ruby red and the frozen white. Really impressive, actually.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2022, 08:56 PM   #2093
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Waxit have updated their specials today -

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...OZgU%3D.MeSg3g

Some good savings on Carpro ReTyre, MultiX and InnerQD, likewise NV Jet and Lustre.

Happy Shopping!
Mustang GT

Old 09-11-2022, 09:54 PM   #2094
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have found these bulk Economax towels to be super useful over the last couple of years.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...penser-50-pack

These are not super plush, high-quality towels and the specs are unremarkable, 200 gsm and 30x30cm in size. But they are very convenient to use for a couple of reasons -

-Coming in a dispenser pack of 50, think of them like a box of tissues.

-At $21.50 for a pack of 50, that works out at 43 cents each.

-Because of that cheapness, they can be used, abused and then thrown in the trash or rag pile.

-Because these are not really going to be used on paint, the low gsm and small size is not an issue.

I use these for jobs that will taint or destroy a good towel, basically a sacrificial towel.

Think polishing exhaust tips or chrome trims -

Prepping tyres -

Even graffiti removal -

They are ideal for cleaning exterior rubber trims, a job that will destroy a towel in short order. I have also been using them for small machinery maintenance and oil checks.

Repco sell the exact same towel pack for $26, in a different box, for a per towel price of 52 cents.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...rch=microfibre

I actually got my first taste of these towels as a freebie from Waxit. At first, I didn't see the point. But I have discovered they are just so useful to have around.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2022, 10:39 PM   #2095
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another great video from Sandro.

I had a bottle of ScratchX in my cabinet for years, from a time when I was still pretty green when it came to detailing knowledge.

These products are intended for isolated scratches only and generally aimed at a very general consumer. I remember failing to convey that fact to a forum member a few years ago, as in he wanted to polish a whole car with ScratchX.

Taking ScratchX as an example, at full retail this product cost about $28. For similar money and similar size bottles, there are countless better options, better even the horrible Meguiar's Ultimate Compound that Sandro uses as a comparison later in the video -

Heavier Correction -

Scholl S20 Black (One-Step) for $25.95 -
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-step-compound

Carpro Clearcut for $33.50 -
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...arpro-clearcut

Rupes DA Course for $32.45 -
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...32113755324505

Finishing -

Carpro Reflect for $28.50 -
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-reflect-250ml

Rupes DA Fine for $30.00 -
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...32113755455577

Scholl S30+ for $25.95 -
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...nd-250ml-1l-5l

Those products are going to be much nicer to use, while producing better results too. They are also going to be more economical to use, be that on isolated scratches or a full vehicle.
Mustang GT

Old 12-11-2022, 11:20 PM   #2096
Late braker

That yellow F6 is such a beautiful looking car.
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #2097
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Trying products is so much fun! It's the thrill of the chase, the surprise and delight of finding a brilliant product. I'm at the point now where I can almost tell if I like a product on first use. If I do, then it goes into my rotation and will more than likely be reordered. If don't like it, then it tends to get put at the back of the cabinet and forgotten about.

So, with that, this is my latest product purge!!

Most of these are not bad products, but they are not great either.

I bought a few different Chemical Guys products a while ago, mainly out of curiosity. With the exception of VRP, none of them were any good. Barebones is one of those. This product is designed for rejuvenation of wheel arch plastics, its oily consistency was a pain to work with and messy in the process. I used this once, and once only. Sure, it looked good, but the user experience let it down. For this role, I like Meguiar's Hyper Dressing or 303 Protectant.

Bowden's Afterglow did not wow me, I just didn't like using it and has sat at the back of the cabinet for far too long now, taking up space that could house something better. I could write down countless other options for a drying aid, but that would take me weeks to type out.

Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer certainly does what it is supposed to, but again, I feel there are better products out there. 303 Protectant or Koch Chemie Plast Star are much easier to work with compared to the cream like consistency of GC Trim Detailer.

Finally, Meguiar's horrible Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. I hate this stuff, and I really don't know why it's still in my cabinet. The scent is a pathetic chemically simulated leather aroma, it's cream like consistency is messy and will plug up perforated leathers. It offers little to no cleaning ability, rather it just coats the leather with a shiny film to disguise the dirt. I also hate that slippery, glossy appearance this product leaves behind. For over-the-counter combination leather treatments, Bowden's Leather love is by far a better choice, otherwise NV Cleanse and Nourish from Waxit offer more abilities at the same or even less money than GC Rich Leather.
Mustang GT

Old 14-11-2022, 09:15 PM   #2098
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Months in the making, I have been sitting on this news for a while now..........

https://detailingshed.com.au/

I have posted the story in my own thread, but I'm so pleased with the outcome of this. Happy to answer any questions regarding to these products, I have used them all extensively.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...postcount=1965
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2022, 02:57 PM   #2099
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Hi DFB, what are the better products you would recommend to use for under wheel arches on the falcons, as well as for use on the the occasional plastic trim pieces? I have used the autoglym vinyl and rubber care product which looks great for when sitting in the garage, but after the first drive all of the mud/road grime etc i feel sticks to it more than when it wasnt done prior.

Thanks again! G

PS here's a nice clean GT pic after a bit of work again. Original paint except for front bar.

dell laptop spacebar problem

Last edited by bangm001; 16-11-2022 at 03:06 PM.
bangm001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #2100
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Hi DFB, what are the better products you would recommend to use for under wheel arches on the falcons, as well as for use on the the occasional plastic trim pieces? I have used the autoglym vinyl and rubber care product which looks great for when sitting in the garage, but after the first drive all of the mud/road grime etc i feel sticks to it more than when it wasnt done prior.

Thanks again! G

PS here's a nice clean GT pic after a bit of work again. Original paint except for front bar.

imagedell laptop spacebar problem
That GT!!

Treating wheel arches is a tricky task, you have three basic options -

-Use an oil-based dressing that will be more resistant to rain and washing. The drawback with these products is that they attract and trap dirt and are messier to apply. I hate to recommend it, mainly because I hated using it, but Chemical Guys Bare Bones would be an example. You could also use a tyre dressing like Gyeon Q2 Tire for similar results.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Chemical-G.../dp/B001TJWO4Q
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...-q2-tire-400ml

-Use a ceramic coating designed for plastics. This will last the longest and won't attract dust and dirt. The drawback here is that it's a much more involved task, needed extensive cleaning and appropriate prep before application. Carpro DLUX or Gtechniq C4 for example.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/ca...4cbe5ec3&_ss=r
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...-trim-restorer

-Use a trim restorer like Solution Finish. These are semi-permanent products designed to revive black plastics, curing and then protecting treated surfaces. Again, treated areas need to be cleaned and prepared prior to application.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/so...t&_ss=e&_v=1.0

-Use a water-based dressing. These are by far the easiest apply, but also offer the least durability. For this job, you can't go past Meguiar's Hyper Dressing, perhaps even P&S Shape Up or 303 Protectant. What I like about Hyper Dressing is you can just spray it on and walk away, it levels down as it dries.

Out of all of those, I just use Hyper Dressing with the knowledge that I will need to reapply often. Otherwise, I think Solution Finish would be right up your alley.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post: