Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Cricket 07/08

1st ODI Aus v NZ

what a let down that was. went to the game yesterday hoping for a contest and for a while it looked like there was going to be one. kiwi's were on there way to 300+ with a solid platform and plenty of wickets in hand. unfortunately for them it just never happened. they never seemed to put there foot down and then started losing wickets. compliments to aus i guess for pegging them back.

seeing tait live, let me tell you he is quick. 155kph on an adelaide deck is pretty impressive. he went for some stick in his first 4 overs but managed to come back well and finish with 3 wickets.

the aussies were obviously aware there was a bit of rain around, as they came out firing in their innings. over 12 an over for the first 5 or so. gilly got his 50 off 25 balls. i can only assume they wanted to be well in front on run rate if the duckworth/lewis method came in to play. ponting finished it off with a run a ball 100 ending with 108no with 48 from clarke and 20odd from symo at the end.

7.4 overs to spare in the end.

was a bit dissappointed in the crowd though. only a bit over 16000 went.

hopefully we can send them home winless like they did to us last year.

prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

I have a theory on your being let down, this is because New Zealand was involved in it.
Old 16-12-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
2002auxr6
Drunk!

lol yeah new zealand do suck a little
Old 16-12-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We'll win the next one! :the_finge
Old 16-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUlien
I have a theory on your being let down, this is because New Zealand was involved in it.
you obviously haven't followed the chappel/hadlee series often then. NZ have chased down scores of 330+ and 340 to win. regardless of how they play during the year, they always seem to give a contest against aus.

they beat us 3 nil last year and all 3 games were 300+. they've also beaten us here in the past.

if it was a test match, thats a different story but don't write them off in the odi's.
Old 16-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
obviously haven't followed the chappel/hadlee series often then
Obviously you have missed the sarcasm that it was posted in.
Old 16-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

The Kiwis are a pretty decent one day side, they'll give us a run for our money in games to come.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

slightly off topic - how's the kfc ads with the aussie players in them. i reckon they're gold.
Old 16-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
XR8putts

Can't believe some of you muppets have already written NZ off, especially after we flogged you 3-zip earlier in the year.

Yes NZ have dissapointed thus far, and are currently 3/30 (bloody rain) - but don't write them off. Just like the slagging of India before the 20/20 World Cup by some of the Australian players, and look how that turned out for you :P
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
you obviously haven't followed the chappel/hadlee series often then. NZ have chased down scores of 330+ and 340 to win. regardless of how they play during the year, they always seem to give a contest against aus.

they beat us 3 nil last year and all 3 games were 300+. they've also beaten us here in the past.

if it was a test match, thats a different story but don't write them off in the odi's.
Given that, if you want to break it down, the last 3 years Aus have beaten NZ by about 14-4 from memory. Purple patch in NZ, but hardly a team you'd be scared of, given those numbers.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
The Kiwis are a pretty decent one day side, they'll give us a run for our money in games to come.

oh wait, you were serious ...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

i think the kiwi's may have dodged a bullet in the 2nd ODI. I have seen them put close to 300 on the board after being 3 down for not many but the signs just aren't there with this line up. also the current aussie line up is awesome to say the least.
Old 29-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Default 1st test - aus v india

one test down and yet another touring side has been humiliated by the dominant aussies.

certainly not the result i would've expected. on paper, india has a very good side with a lot of experience and talent in the batting lineup. unfortunately it seems the best years of these players are behind them.

dravid is hopelessly out of touch. hopefully he improves and i think they need sehwag to be in the side as well to open. dravid is not an opener.

there is too much cricket being played to allow teams to come over earlier and get used to the conditions. makes it hard for the touring sides. once upon a time there would be at least 3 tour games against state sides before the 1st test.

maybe they'll have better luck on wednesday in the 2nd test.
Old 29-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should have invited the English Team out to make a contest of it at least.... :
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
there is too much cricket being played to allow teams to come over earlier and get used to the conditions. makes it hard for the touring sides. once upon a time there would be at least 3 tour games against state sides before the 1st test.
They were given the option, instead they scheduled a series with Pakistan.

When you look at their bowling attack, Ganguly was bowling on the 1st morning of a test match, that's when you know they probably haven't picked a balanced side and certainly not a side that's going to trouble Australia too much this series if they continue with the same formula.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Default 2nd test

what a test match this one is turning out to be. india have shown their true potential at last. if dravid finds some form it could be even worse.

funny how india was the side to stop steve waugh's side's record run of 16 wins. now ricky's side is on 15 and once again india look to be the stumbling block.

there's a lot of controversy surrounding the match as well but like the commentary keep saying, its mainly the media that is blowing it out of proportion. they speak to most of the players and umpires and they are all happy with how its going. not walking is not cheating. its how the game has been played for decades, even centuries. you play by the umpire.

who would've thought india would go into the 2nd innings with a slight lead. the aussies need to score quickly now to set up an opportunity for a win. it took them 122 overs (or thereabouts) to get the 10 wickets required in the first innings but you would imagine the conditions to be a little worse on the fifth day so you would think it may be possible to get 10 wickets in a day if they get all the 90 overs in. i feel australia, for the first time, are going to really miss the king of spin, Mr Shane Warne!

batting still looks pretty easy but they'll have singh and kumble on for a fair part of tomorrow so we'll have to bad smart and fast. outfield is getting lightning fast.

there was another thread started on here recently (which has since been locked) bagging the 5 day game. for a purist like myself, whats not to like in this test. both teams regularly scoring at over 4 an over and the class of the lineups is 2nd to none. hayden, ponting, hussey, symonds, clarke, gilly, lee, dravid, laxman, ganguly, tendulker, singh (yuvraj) etc. thats an awesome lineup whichever way you want to look at it.

test match cricket at its best.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
They were given the option, instead they scheduled a series with Pakistan.
not sure how much choice the players had in that. i think that was more of a political thing between the two nations.

they were clearly underdone in melbourne.

i don't think the aussies really took them seriously until they started getting within touch of their first innings total and then started showing signs of not being used to pressure for the first time in many matches.

i was a bit surprised at pontings captaincy as well. can't work out why he bowled so much of johnson and so little of stuart clark. also brad hogg didn't get as many overs as i thought he should've. maybe ponting feels they play spin better than pace but they didn't seem to have too much trouble playing pace either.

was a bit weird having symonds in the outfield as well. nothing to do with his injury as i think that happened afterward. it was suggested it was to protect the fast bowlers so they were able to conserve their energy.

hope we can find a way to bring this one home.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
phoenix99

India could do even better by getting rid of the opener jaffa and putting in sehwag
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #19
Hawk
I am The Brain!

What a great test so far - but definitely on the way towards a draw.

Although, remember Adelaide last year in the Ashes. Two big first innings totals and then mayhem. This pitch could do that - particularly if some moisture gets in it.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
What a great test so far - but definitely on the way towards a draw.

Although, remember Adelaide last year in the Ashes. Two big first innings totals and then mayhem. This pitch could do that - particularly if some moisture gets in it.
brad hogg is good but he's no warne. that was the main reason we won in adelaide.

phoenix99 - i agree about sehwag although apparently he's not in good form either. dravid is not an opener. sehwag is a bit like jaysuria was for sri lanka. without him they were slow as. sehwag sets the pace at the top of the order. none of this 4 off 60 balls stuff.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #21
BFYOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99
India could do even better by getting rid of the opener jaffa and putting in sehwag
ha ha im not a massive indan follower, and first time i heard the commentators talking about this jaffer, i thought they were taking the p%$s calling him a jaffa :
as for walking..............unless the finger goes up, cheat as much as you can!!!
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #22
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
not sure how much choice the players had in that. i think that was more of a political thing between the two nations.
The players would have had absolutely no choice, it's brokered between the two cricketing boards.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #23
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels
Default Aussie Aussie Aussie

oih oih oih
how good was that

Last edited by bob 351; 06-01-2008 at 07:42 PM.
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #24
Cam
Stroking it...

OMG!! Best game evaaarrrrr
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #25
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

one of the best test i have ever seen go PUP WHAT A CRICKETER
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #26
Paxton
Cobblers!

What a win. What a day to give you brother-in-law your members tickets. :

I'm up to my elbows in paint, but I still celebrated. Shame about the umpiring which has marred the victory, however a landmark win for Ponting and his boys.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #27
nickd
Passionate Ford XD XE nut

aussie aussie aussie

GO AUSSIES

Who knew that this would be such a finish!!

Clarke and symonds what a game!!

Team effort well done boys on great game of cricket.

Nick
nickd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #28
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Kinda feel sorry for India though with those umpires. It was so close I could hardly watch the last half-hour. Fantastic game though.

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #29
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Best test game in a long time!!! WOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : :
Old 06-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #30
Duke
The Duke

Best test match I've ever watched. 5 days play, right down to the wire, won in the last 8 minutes... FANTASTIC!

Didn't see Harbhajan doing any monkey rolls on the ground today.. perhaps tonight in court he'll do a few