Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Lincolnlsv8

Default Is Ford Aust interested???

I have been spending a lot of time in Indonesia over the past year and came to realise that Ford Australia have a godsend market for some of our cars here. I have written to Ford Aust re my thoughts and despite assurances they'd be in touch I've heard nothing. What l suggested would be huge sellers over here are the Territory diesel, especially the Titanium to compete with the Mercs,Cayennes and other luxury 2WD people movers from Toyota and such, Falcons with the Ecoboost motor to take on the standard Merc's BMWs,Camry's etc and the XR6 and Turbo I6 to challenge the AMG's Beemers etc. The economy is booming here and top end large cars especially high performance models are selling like hotcakes. Talking to local Ford salesman and they agree they'd love to have some Falcon/Territory sized models in their showrooms. The new car market here is the same as Australia with around 1,000,000 new car sales a year. C'mon Ford, have a look at our closest large car market and keep manufacturing alive in Oz.

Lincolnlsv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: Is Ford Aust interested???

So Indonesia is a RHD country?

Lukeyson
Old 25-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Lincolnlsv8

Yes Indonesia is RHD. GMH use to sell Kingswoods,Commodores and Statesmans here but dropped out when times were tough and the market only wanted small 4cyl cars. Now about half the market is Corolla/Fiesta sized and about a quarter is for Landcruiser sized people movers and Ranger sized utes/4wd. The balance is madeup of predominantly european cars such as BMWs and Mercs with Lexus, Lambo's Porches etc filling a growing demand for performance vehicles. Officially the speed limit on the open road is 100kph but the reality is that 140-160 is common and both myself and police have been passed by cars pushing 200 clicks and the police dont blink if the road conditions are ok. Cities are all heavily congested and move at a snails pace though but it is a thrill to be zipping along a highway and your only concern is whats going on around you rather than if your 2ks over the limit as in Victoria. Just wish l had my Lincoln LS here.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

What's the population of Indonesia?? 200 + million or something isn't it???

If the top 5% of the population were wealthy enough to buy such a car, and 5% of those 5% actually bought an imported Ford from down under that would be 500,000 sales....

Or is my maths wrong??? Based on that, why isn't Ford doing more business with out closest large neighbour I wonder???

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Street Creed
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Perhaps Ford head office won't let them...

That said, Ford recently sent 100 Territory Titaniums to Thailand to test the waters, no reason why a similar attempt couldnt be made in Indonesia. What are Indonesia's import duties and tarrifs for vehicles?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
GT014

This is what makes me mad also.

Look at this brilliant article from US site, car and driver about the R-Spec.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2012-fo...ider-us-crazy/

Scroll down to the comments !! The US a dying for these cars
Old 25-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone have an news on how the first 100 territories when in thai?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Could it have anything to do with Indonesia being a predominantly Muslim country, and Ford being American?

Just throwing out a theory, but I could be way off.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
Lincolnlsv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Could it have anything to do with Indonesia being a predominantly Muslim country, and Ford being American?

Your right it is predominantly Muslim but that has not hindered sales of the Captiva and all the other crap GM flog here under the Chevy brand or their love affair with Harleys.
And in fact Fords are held in very high esteem over here, when in my nieces Fiesta we are constantly given favoured parking priveleges, I've been in the car when Police have asked why they shouldn't book her for some reason and when she says "because I'm driving a Ford" they actually check it out then sofar have always let her go.
Old 26-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #11
Lincolnlsv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Perhaps Ford head office won't let them...

That said, Ford recently sent 100 Territory Titaniums to Thailand to test the waters, no reason why a similar attempt couldnt be made in Indonesia. What are Indonesia's import duties and tarrifs for vehicles?
I dont have that info but considering every vehicle that is sold here from Europe etc is sold for basically the same price as they sell in Oz I'd assume similar fees etc to ourselves. As the cars I've suggested would be selling in the top end of town ther should be no reason Ford couldn't pad the prices a bit. 1500 units a month shouldn't be out of reach
Old 26-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlsv8
Your right it is predominantly Muslim but that has not hindered sales of the Captiva and all the other crap GM flog here under the Chevy brand or their love affair with Harleys.
And in fact Fords are held in very high esteem over here, when in my nieces Fiesta we are constantly given favoured parking priveleges, I've been in the car when Police have asked why they shouldn't book her for some reason and when she says "because I'm driving a Ford" they actually check it out then sofar have always let her go.
Very suprising.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT014
This is what makes me mad also.

Look at this brilliant article from US site, car and driver about the R-Spec.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2012-fo...ider-us-crazy/

Scroll down to the comments !! The US a dying for these cars
Thanks for the link... was good.
Old 27-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlsv8
I usually find 100,000Rp gets most things forgotten about traffice wise.

During my trips ot Indonesia I have seen many HQ's and HJ's an XA GT, and numerous early chevs and fords. There is an enthusiast in Bali who has two HJ's and 55 Chev. There is also a mechanic in Jakarta and his Wife (who was studying to be a lawyer) who runs a hoden club and has done some aweson restos and custom jobs up there. His wife loved the V8's so much she gave up studying to be a lawyer and helps at his workshop.

I reckon a 2am run down jl Pantai Kuta or a run down the Nghurai Rai bypass would be fun in an old school V8 with twin sytem howling away.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Old HQ are popular over there....im sure they were exported.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #16
Lincolnlsv8

Hahaha, you got ripped of Bungarra. I got pinged for "creating a 3rd lane" and it only cost me 50,000Rp ($5). I was heading out of Jakarta and had "run" two redlights (apparently OK if the crossroads clear) pulling over 160kph along the main HatiHati flyover, no international licence (No longer needed but recommended) and the rental car wasn't in my name (Only the renter can drive) but none of that worried him, what got him was that as I merged into an offramp I formed a third lane.....For those that have never driven over here if a road is marked as 2 lanes it will inveriably have at least 4 lanes of cars and several bike lanes (Often with one of the bike lanes being made up of riders coming towards you) About the only time I haver seen laneways enforced is on the major highspeed tollways.