Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Red face This may be a stupid question but...

...how the **** is the Focus jack meant to work?

I had a self-tapper embed itself in my rear right tyre last week causing it to go flat at approx 100km/h, rendering the tyre...unrepairable.

I have one of those stoopid space-saver spares and the jack is a screw-type cantilever job which at first glance looks like every other car jack I have had (bar a dodgy Commodore one back in the 80s).

However this one differs in one odd respect - the rod for screwing the jack up or down is permanently attached to the jack and only about 30cm long. The only way I can see using it is to angle the rod so it points off to the left and do successive 180 degree turns and raise the car a tiny amount at a time.

Every other jack of this type has had a winder, whether it be a handle built into the rod itself or a matching hold in the wheel nut wrench that allows the wrench to act as a winding handle. This one seems to have nothing, unless I am either missing a part or I am way off the mark in regards to the way if all goes together...

Mick
2010 LV MKII TDCi Focus

Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Marlboro2728

Default Re: This may be a stupid question but...

Stupid design. I found this out trying to change a rear passenger side tyre on the Western Ring Road in the rain. I parked close to the kerb to avoid the vehicles passing by and found I couldn't use the jack as the lever hit the kerb. I have since cut the lever off and bought a socket, extension and angled rachet. Much better.
Marlboro2728 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Default Re: This may be a stupid question but...

So does is the lever meant to work like I'm trying to work it?

180-degree half circles winding the car up by hand...you have to be kidding right?

Mick
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post