View Poll Results: Which should I buy?
Ranger Wildtrak 48 48.98%
Terri Titanium Diesel 50 51.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Cant Decide Ranger or Territory?!

Hi All,

I'm stuck in a bit of a pickle. I cant decide if I should get a Ranger or a Territory. I've wanted a 4wd but cant decide on which to buy. I know the terri is an AWD and these two are very different vehicles but both can do what I will require of them.

Carry/Tow my motorbike for when I go to the track.
Go to the snow as I do every year
Take me off road but nothing overly extreme. Want to check out this great country and some of the path's that require a 4WD.

My problem stems from the idea that I like to buy Australian (and before everyone gets on my case over parts coming in from overseas/the V6 being an import) and the terri to me appears more Aussie. I know 1 sale will not tip the scales all that much for FoA, but I really cant figure out which of these two I should buy.

Are my sentiments silly?!

And the two models I'm comparing are the Ranger Wildtrak and the Titanium Terri.

Regards,

Kypez.

kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Cant Decide Ranger or Territory?!

New Ranger with the 5cyl diesel.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
stang65
FPRJET

I would say the Ranger, We`ve got a Terry and love it but if you want four wheel driving the ranger will give you the extra height also having the tray bit at the back will make it more versatile.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Cant Decide Ranger or Territory?!

Based on your list, the Wildtrak would be my recommendation.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
cartaa100
FG POWER

Hey mate, all awd and 4wds need chains for the snow now unless you have snow tyres just putting it out there, haha, the ranger would be better offroad, but the territory will take 3/4 of the places the ranger can and it will take you in comfort and if you need to take people it will take them in comfort, where 4x4 utes are very squishy in the back, and will also keep ur bags dry wherever you go! with the ranger everything would get wet while ur carrying ur bike. I love the ranger but i just cant see my self ever buying one id choose the aussie built more luxurious terri titanium awd with the 2.7 diesel exactly like ours :P

good luck with your decision making!!

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
05_ENFORCER

I've had both, currently I have the Terry, go for the Wildtrack.
Just for that little bit extra it can do.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranger with I-5 turbo diesel and 6 speed manual!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thanks guys for all the responses.

Looks like the Ranger is the winner thus far.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Ranger....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Terri. 4wd utes are not comfortable to drive.
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
Supercharged

The Terri is a soft of roader and wouldn’t carry your bike anyway without a trailer but the Territory would be the better family wagon compared to the Ranger.
Buy now or later, the deals on the PK rangers are stunning but the new Ranger will be better but expect no tight deals for a while.

And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevlah
Terri. 4wd utes are not comfortable to drive.
Remember the IMHO, i have been driving 4wd ute's for over 25 years and don't find them uncomfortable at all, even the better half has a Hilux and would not swap it for an SUV....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ute is uncomfortable. I have a 2002 diesel hilux extra cab. It is noisy, smelly and the ride bone jarring. No cruise control. I dread using it for my daily commute when my usual daily is out of action (bf2 wagon on gas). Mind you my commute is 100klms each way and I've not driven the newer ones!
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Ranger....I imagine its miles ahead of my Courier..and thats comfy as and tops to drive!

Ranger would take everyone and everything everwhere you point it.

Also the new Ranger has plenty of room in the rear cab.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
IDT
Marko

Hands down miser. Go the Terri.
We recently ran the WA fleet Launch and its a great vehicle. Especially if you are going to the snow (keeps you gear dry and you can access your kit from in the vehicle). Use a trailer for your bike so you can pre-pack and then you don't have to unload it as soon as you get to where your going or when you get home. We did an off road demo for the fleet clients and it did the mild stuff very easily. Obviously go the AWD Diesel. They are unbelieveably quiet inside, more economical and more powerful (though not by much) Interior wise they are also better equiped and more comfortable.

Forgot to mention the tray cover on the Xtrak won't let you fit your bike or much esle including a jerry can (standing) in the back. Its a pain in the XXXXX. The plastic over bar is also useless.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

You would have to weigh up the amount of time you will actually be spending in the vehicle when comparring their differences, ie.
The Ranger is a 4WD, but how many times will you be going offroad that you will need the 4WD capabilities.
The Terri will ride and be alot more comfortable where you will be spending most of your time but won't go offroad like the Ranger.
So what is more important to you, ride and comfort or offroad abilities ?.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Personally i'd go for the Ranger as it has one major thing over the terry, and thats low range, if you want to do the better of the off road tracks out there, the Ranger will get you many more places with LR
Old 07-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Go the Terri. For 90% of the year you'll be happier you did. Let your patriotism show!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I voted for the Territory with the assumption that it will get you everywhere you want to go. If you will be doing tough 4x4ing the you will need the Ranger but for the other 99% of the time the Territory will be more comfortable, handle better and just be a better car in general.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Unless you want some real heavy duty off road ability, buy the Territory, it will be so much more comfortable and better to drive than a Ranger.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranger but DO NOT get the auto. Terrible box and make them go like crap.
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #22
WASP
Whipple Induced

The new Ranger in duel cab XLT or Wildtrack form is fantastic to drive and is very comfortable. It's ride is very compliant and the 6 speed auto was very responsive and smooth from my experience. You don't forget you are effectively driving a truck as you sit up quite high and the ride is more giggly than the new Territory. The 3.2 Transit diesel is very responsive and has a great rorty sound to it. Its also more powerful than the 2.7 diesel found in the Territory and you can notice the difference. It's certainly a work, rest and play type of vehicle and is a very good looking truck IMO.

The new Territory is very car like, more comfortable and much more quiet. The electric steering is a joy to use and is nicer to steer and work with than the Ranger. I imagine it would be the better choice by far if you do alot of city and suburban commuting and parking. The rear passenger seating and comfort while excellent in the Ranger is still better in the Territory so that may be a factor if carrying passengers regularly and for long distances is required. The Ranger is by far to coolest of the two IMO but the Territory maybe the more practical and comfortable choice.*
Old 08-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #23
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thank you so very much for all your responses. I guess the best option for me would be to drive both back to back and see which suits my applications better. I really hope the Ranger isnt a bone jarring drive. I have driven the Terri and that was amazing. The diesel was amazing, I couldnt hear it inside the cabin at all. Amazing refinement. That said, my XR8 has a few less mufflers so a noisy cabin isnt a make or break factor.

RHR and CDAA have very different opinions on the Auto. I really dont like the character of previous diesel I've driven in manual. They need a lot of shifting and they dont rev and drive me mental. Like the idea of the turbo diesel and auto thus keeping the boost always on. Need to check these auto boxes. Autos are also better for offroading given the constant drive (or so I've read).

Thank you for all that you've given for me to think about and the Poll appears neck and neck. I called my local dealership and asked them to give me a call once they have a demo Ranger (XLT will have to do for now to see if I should wait for the Wildtrak or just get the Terri).

Last edited by kypez; 08-09-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 AM   #24
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
Hey mate, all awd and 4wds need chains for the snow now unless you have snow tyres just putting it out there, haha, the ranger would be better offroad, but the territory will take 3/4 of the places the ranger can and it will take you in comfort and if you need to take people it will take them in comfort, where 4x4 utes are very squishy in the back, and will also keep ur bags dry wherever you go! with the ranger everything would get wet while ur carrying ur bike. I love the ranger but i just cant see my self ever buying one id choose the aussie built more luxurious terri titanium awd with the 2.7 diesel exactly like ours :P
Last time I went to the snow it was 4wd were exempt. Guess they changed to be like in Vic. The back seat room is a definite consideration. Need the room to carry 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Hands down miser. Go the Terri.
We recently ran the WA fleet Launch and its a great vehicle. Especially if you are going to the snow (keeps you gear dry and you can access your kit from in the vehicle). Use a trailer for your bike so you can pre-pack and then you don't have to unload it as soon as you get to where your going or when you get home. We did an off road demo for the fleet clients and it did the mild stuff very easily. Obviously go the AWD Diesel. They are unbelieveably quiet inside, more economical and more powerful (though not by much) Interior wise they are also better equiped and more comfortable.

Forgot to mention the tray cover on the Xtrak won't let you fit your bike or much esle including a jerry can (standing) in the back. Its a pain in the XXXXX. The plastic over bar is also useless.
Some good points. Thanks for that. And yes, it will be the AWD Diesel.

I was hoping that I could option the XLT bars instead on the back. I want the Wildtrak for the extra interior appointments really. Do you think this wont be an option?! That is a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
Buy now or later, the deals on the PK rangers are stunning but the new Ranger will be better but expect no tight deals for a while.
Definitely waiting for the new Ranger. Not considering the PK because the rear seating isnt all that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
You would have to weigh up the amount of time you will actually be spending in the vehicle when comparring their differences, ie.
The Ranger is a 4WD, but how many times will you be going offroad that you will need the 4WD capabilities.
The Terri will ride and be alot more comfortable where you will be spending most of your time but won't go offroad like the Ranger.
So what is more important to you, ride and comfort or offroad abilities ?.
See thats the thing, if I have the 4wd I will start doing a lot more 4 wheel driving. But if I dont have it, I guess I'll only consider light tracks. As for how often, its more when I go for holidays. Again, if I had a 4wd, I'd go a couple of times a year. (Want to do a few drives into the red centre and will pick tracks either terri AWD compatible or Ranger 4WD)

Ride comfort isnt a priority as long as its not bone jarring. That would get very tiring very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Personally i'd go for the Ranger as it has one major thing over the terry, and thats low range, if you want to do the better of the off road tracks out there, the Ranger will get you many more places with LR
Thats a definite bonus and that it runs in 2wd the rest of the time. LR would take to some nice places I'd imagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Go the Terri. For 90% of the year you'll be happier you did. Let your patriotism show!
Its this misguided patriotism that has got me in this pickle! You are right, I'd be happier 90% of the time, but what about that 10%. Mind you I still do have the XR8 for all my domestic duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
The new Ranger in duel cab XLT or Wildtrack form is fantastic to drive and is very comfortable. It's ride is very compliant and the 6 speed auto was very responsive and smooth from my experience. You don't forget you are effectively driving a truck as you sit up quite high and the ride is more giggly than the new Territory. The 3.2 Transit diesel is very responsive and has a great rorty sound to it. Its also more powerful than the 2.7 diesel found in the Territory and you can notice the difference. It's certainly a work, rest and play type of vehicle and is a very good looking truck IMO.

The new Territory is very car like, more comfortable and much more quiet. The electric steering is a joy to use and is nicer to steer and work with than the Ranger. I imagine it would be the better choice by far if you do alot of city and suburban commuting and parking. The rear passenger seating and comfort while excellent in the Ranger is still better in the Territory so that may be a factor if carrying passengers regularly and for long distances is required. The Ranger is by far to coolest of the two IMO but the Territory maybe the more practical and comfortable choice.*
I really need to check this rear seating out by the looks of it. The power difference between the two donks is barely anything. Torque and Power are line ball, especially with the weights of these two.

I think I need to sit in the two. The terri was amazing, but I think the best way to do this is a back to back with the XLT in the Rangers corner as the Wildtrak is so many months away!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 AM   #25
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new wildtrack is so god damn gorgeous my next run around work car hopefully. Im talking of the new 2012 one which hasnt been released yet.......
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #26
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hold off a month or so , there is a new Territory coming with a 3.6 tonne towing capacity and Mountains of torque .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #27
hawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Hold off a month or so , there is a new Territory coming with a 3.6 tonne towing capacity and Mountains of torque .
Really? Any more details?

Find it strange since they only just launched the diesel.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #28
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nope ....
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #29
Danny
GT4.

Ranger will hold it's value and is a good looking car that has a chance of offroading.

Last edited by Auslandau; 09-09-2011 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Not needed .......
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #30
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
keep dreaming.