Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2024, 12:11 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Procedure for suspected bad fuel

What is the normal procedure if you suspect you have filled up a tank with bad fuel?

Last weekend we filled up mum's Kia Sorento (Diesel) at the local BP. Car started fine after filling. Drove half way to Geelong and stopped over for a coffee. Got back in the car, went to start it, and it just kept cranking but not firing up. I turned the car off, and tried again, again extended cranking, then finally started. Car drove fine but sounded a bit noisey at low RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear. The car has been like this since.

I told the folks to go to a reputable mechanic shop and get them to submit a fuel analysis. For some reason, dad didn't want to do that. Instead he called his mechanic mate who came over and ran some diagnostics via the ODB2 port. Not sure what software was used, but it cleared up the car a little and started ok that evening. Next morning, extended cranking again. I told dad to go get some fuel pumped up and tested by a shop, again he ignored me, and instead bought a bottle of Fuel Dr and put it in. Its been 2 days since Fuel Dr, its running slightly better, less extended cranking but still not normal. And on morning start ups, it emits a lot of smoke for the first couple of minutes.

He is now asking me to call BP........I'm banging my head against a brick wall as I doubt they will accept a fuel test now.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2024, 12:18 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Procedure for suspected bad fuel

It sounds very much like a car problem to me. Do you use algaecide regularly?

Check the Google Reviews for where you last bought a sizeable amount of fuel. Negligible bleats will confirm where you should direct your efforts.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2024, 01:17 PM   #3
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It sounds very much like a car problem to me. Do you use algaecide regularly?

Check the Google Reviews for where you last bought a sizeable amount of fuel. Negligible bleats will confirm where you should direct your efforts.
They don't ever use any additives. Always fill up on BP diesel ultimate.

Car has been running flawlessly since new, never missed a beat, no gradual symptoms , then all of a sudden this happens.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 03-05-2024, 02:00 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
They don't ever use any additives. Always fill up on BP diesel ultimate.

Car has been running flawlessly since new, never missed a beat, no gradual symptoms , then all of a sudden this happens.
Love these names, Ultimately stuffed the fuel system.

No fuel tanker on the forecourt when they were filling ??

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2024, 02:10 PM   #5
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Love these names, Ultimately stuffed the fuel system.

No fuel tanker on the forecourt when they were filling ??
Nup....

Rides (past and present)

Old 03-05-2024, 08:21 PM   #6
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I filled up a diesel with 98 in error once
Diesel hose- green
98 hose- green
Vehicle symptoms sound like yours
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2024, 08:48 PM   #7
Itsme
Experienced Member

As you stated without a fuel analysis you just guessing, you have no grounds with BP for compensation unless you can prove it is dodgy fuel. you could be lucky if others have put in a claim for the same problem on the same day, get him to get the fuel tested or a mechanic to certify they checked the vehicle after refueling.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2024, 09:30 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it like food poisoning claims? A single claim won't go anywhere usually but with more people at the same place at the same time a pattern makes thing more objective. The internet makes this much easier than before.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2024, 10:05 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

onything on FB popping up about the servo
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #10
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On second tank with fuel Dr. I haven't driven it but heard my dad take it out today and it sounded normal. He said it was acting normal.

I would not entirely discount that he may have put the wrong fuel.... I dont know much about diesels, but once it started it was running fine? No power loss. Just a bit noisy at very low rpms in gear. Wouldn't wrong fuel make it run like crap?

Google reviews showing nothing. The BP fb page is only posted by bp, no public posts. Though if everyone reacted the same as the old man, then it wouldnt show up on social media

Just out of interest, how much does a fuel analysis cost?

Rides (past and present)

Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Just out of interest, how much does a fuel analysis cost?
Less than a rejected warranty claim and no leg to stand on with the servo.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #12
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
I filled up a diesel with 98 in error once
Diesel hose- green
98 hose- green
Vehicle symptoms sound like yours
Well well. After reading this, I asked mum for the receipt to double check. The receipt shows Premium 95!

I was certain I saw dad lift the diesel tab to pull the hose out that morning, and he reckons he 100% did lift the tab. So I suspect maybe someone put the premium 95 hose on the diesel housing.

I'm surprised the pump and injectors haven't collapsed given we've used 3/4 tank.

The car is now back running normal. From what I've read, it should have died by now.

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It takes a while.

In all seriousness, I would get the car beautifully detailed up Monday and sell it that same week.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It takes a while.

In all seriousness, I would get the car beautifully detailed up Monday and sell it that same week.

Trade in on a new vehicle
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #15
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
It takes a while.

Neighbours opposite backed into it today......very small dint, but in a bad area, so not an easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Trade in on a new vehicle
Funnily enough, he got a dealer quote 2 weeks ago as he is looking to trade it in for something new

You just know when the universe is telling you something!!

Rides (past and present)

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

https://www.wrongfuelrescue.com.au/p...-a-diesel-car/

There is a small percentage of cases where it doesn't end badly however the large majority will end up requiring expensive repairs especially if continuing to run the wrong fuel through the system.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Neighbours opposite backed into it today......very small dint, but in a bad area, so not an easy fix.

Funnily enough, he got a dealer quote 2 weeks ago as he is looking to trade it in for something new

You just know when the universe is telling you something!!
Tesla Model 3 or Y if they're in that price range I reckon,

Get a 32A single phase circuit installed in the garage for fast charging on single phase and move them over to one of those energy providers offering 8c/kWh off peak rates for customers with EVs and charge between 12-6AM.

Few and far between maintenance, no servos to put the wrong fuel in anymore and $2/100km running costs.
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #18
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
https://www.wrongfuelrescue.com.au/p...-a-diesel-car/

There is a small percentage of cases where it doesn't end badly however the large majority will end up requiring expensive repairs especially if continuing to run the wrong fuel through the system.
Yeh doing a bit of reading up at the moment. We've gone passed the "try save it" stage as we've run 3/4 tank through already. When it was filled with petrol last weekend, it filled 33 litres, so about 50%. Dad ran it till it had about 100kms left in the tank then filled it with diesel. We'll keep filling it up to dilute any remaining petrol in there. Its too late to drain given the amount of petrol that has gone through the system already.

If its stuffed, its stuffed, nothing he can do now. But its sounding healthy again so fingers crossed. I'm taking it for a run tomorrow so will get a feel if something still isn't right.

Rides (past and present)

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yeh doing a bit of reading up at the moment. We've gone passed the "try save it" stage as we've run 3/4 tank through already. When it was filled with petrol last weekend, it filled 33 litres, so about 50%. Dad ran it till it had about 100kms left in the tank then filled it with diesel. We'll keep filling it up to dilute any remaining petrol in there. Its too late to drain given the amount of petrol that has gone through the system already.

If its stuffed, its stuffed, nothing he can do now. But its sounding healthy again so fingers crossed. I'm taking it for a run tomorrow so will get a feel if something still isn't right.
The fact it survived that up to this point is a miracle, no point putting on lotto tickets ever again because they've used up all their luck for the next 10 lifetimes.

I'd still be getting rid of the thing, its on borrowed time and that borrowed time is sooner rather than later.
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #20
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Tesla Model 3 or Y if they're in that price range I reckon,

Get a 32A single phase circuit installed in the garage for fast charging on single phase and move them over to one of those energy providers offering 8c/kWh off peak rates for customers with EVs and charge between 12-6AM.

Few and far between maintenance, no servos to put the wrong fuel in anymore and $2/100km running costs.
He is on his freaken GWM mission. Just picked up a tank 300, and now wants to change the kia over for a Haval hybrid for mum. The Tank 300 is surprisingly good to drive I must admit, but I am not confident he'll be able to handle the width.

Rides (past and present)

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
He is on his freaken GWM mission. Just picked up a tank 300, and now wants to change the kia over for a Haval hybrid for mum. The Tank 300 is surprisingly good to drive I must admit, but I am not confident he'll be able to handle the width.
New plan - keep the Kia until it lets go and make him pay to fix it so he can't afford the Haval
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #22
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Vw Transporter diesel I filled with 98 was a transport fleet vehicle. The coy workshop couldn’t figure it flicked it a vw dealer who had it for 3 weeks changed a few bits and that van ran for another 100000kms. Initially the coy workshop drained the fuel tank so I guess that helped.
Due to a weekend and coy workshop and vw dealer getting themselves mixed up I never got my **** kicked.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post