Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
JoesAu

Default Made a new intake today

total cost was 100 buks pretty happy, my intentions were to keep the intake as short as possible which i have done, any shorter and the bits just dont fit,
had to grind the step lip off on the throttle body. 3 inch all the way with a pod in the box.

JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks great, im guessing the rubber hose helped keep the cost down. now you jsut need to cut a big hole in your box to get more cool air flowing in and it will sound mean.

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Heat soak would be more on the rubber than the metal?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
justa6
justa6

why such a huge piece of hose all steel would look tricker
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuldiner
looks great, im guessing the rubber hose helped keep the cost down. now you jsut need to cut a big hole in your box to get more cool air flowing in and it will sound mean.
The hose is around $40 per piece, the aluminium pipe is around $20 per piece, so no, the rubber doesn't keep the cost down, but allows better angles.

Looks good Joe - notice much difference with it like that?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Heat soak would be more on the rubber than the metal?
I wouldn't think so

Rubber is a pretty damn good heat insulator with low thermal conductivity/conductance, so the heat from the engine shouldn't raise the temp of the rubber as much as it would raise the temp of the steel/aluminium

Only crap thing is that rubber also absorbs sound pretty good, so it probably won't sound as mean

Looks the goods tho!

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )

Last edited by ayeyew; 07-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
JoesAu

believe it or not that silicone piping is worth $70 a piece, but supercheap currently have 50% off silicon pipes and joiners so it was a bargain. theres a difference in response thats for sure and it feels a little stronger. Induction noise sounds good still, in the cabin you can hear it drawing airr huge!, i might changge the big blue hose for steel, although i went for a 10 min drive at 5pm and the whole lot was freezing, at the throttle body it was a tad warmer.

Reasn why i got rid of the Ba intake pipe is that its so wide it goes over the whole rocker cover and my new paccies are creating alot of heat and the intake pipe was very hot! now its alot better no heat at all really.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr
why such a huge piece of hose all steel would look tricker
alloy would look better, but this silicone intercooler piping is about 6mm thick and is good with conducting heat. the steel will heat up quiker when stopped at the lights or stuck in traffic etc
Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
JoesAu

im planning on putting thermal wrap on the whole intake as well.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #10
EL__Monty

looks good!!!!!!!So does this new intake out perform the BA intake setup you were using previously? If so by how much?

I take it all the parts are found at supercheap.
-Silicone hose, straight alloy pipe, 180 donut alloy pipe etc?

Cheers.........looks like I won't be going to ford$$ on tuesday to pickup a BA intake pipe!
EL__Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #11
JoesAu

yeh its better than the ba pipe, it doesnt heat up as much because the ba pipe comes right on top off the rocker cover closer to the extractors and it boils under my bonnet.
everything i bought was from supercheap auto, $100. i trimmed up a few of those pieces with a hacksaw as well.i only took it for a quik spin earlier gonna reset the ecu tommorow but initial signs so far are its the best intake ive made up(ive made afew). the pod makes it a little doughy down low im feeling but mid rpm- to high it works well. Im gonnna put the panel back just to see whats it like with this new setup as i reckoon the panel gives you better down low response
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
fipcee
not so stock

Looks good Joe, what air box lid are you using? Did you have to modify the lid box to fit the 3" pipe? Also is your car a 6 or 8? Just thinking about doing this mod myself but not sure what size piping I should use for my 6. Currently using a K&N panel filter. I really want the low down "grunt/throttle response". Any advice from you, or other members greatly appreciated. Finally does this mod help or hurt fuel economy, assumming the right foot doesn't get carried away of course
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #13
EL__Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
yeh its better than the ba pipe, it doesnt heat up as much because the ba pipe comes right on top off the rocker cover closer to the extractors and it boils under my bonnet.
everything i bought was from supercheap auto, $100. i trimmed up a few of those pieces with a hacksaw as well.i only took it for a quik spin earlier gonna reset the ecu tommorow but initial signs so far are its the best intake ive made up(ive made afew). the pod makes it a little doughy down low im feeling but mid rpm- to high it works well. Im gonnna put the panel back just to see whats it like with this new setup as i reckoon the panel gives you better down low response
Agree aswell, I have tried a few setups too. Panel gives a noticeable improvement down low and pod is good mid too high. At the moment I am running an EF intake(getting hot due to pacies) with 80mm internal bellmouth airbox lid. Too tell you honestly I can not notice any difference between a new ryco paper filter and my K&N panel filter. This is the airbox lid;

EL__Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
JoesAu

that bellmouth looks pretty good, they reckon having the pipe like you have is better cos it draws air from the middle of the box rather than the whole area of the box, i read that on Autospeed articles, there a definate difference in throttle response over the ryco hands down, when add piping from the front bar that adds a noticable difference again.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipcee
Looks good Joe, what air box lid are you using? Did you have to modify the lid box to fit the 3" pipe? Also is your car a 6 or 8? Just thinking about doing this mod myself but not sure what size piping I should use for my 6. Currently using a K&N panel filter. I really want the low down "grunt/throttle response". Any advice from you, or other members greatly appreciated. Finally does this mod help or hurt fuel economy, assumming the right foot doesn't get carried away of course
thats the au box lid, the 3 inch pipe fits threw the whole easily, i have just switched back to the Panel filter as the pod just provides the car with way to much air in my setup that it needs to use, the panel is better all round rpm's and better response down low. Fuel economy wont go backwards you'll probbly get a bit more out of a tank but not much.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
fipcee
not so stock

Quote:
thats the au box lid, the 3 inch pipe fits threw the whole easily, i have just switched back to the Panel filter as the pod just provides the car with way to much air in my setup that it needs to use, the panel is better all round rpm's and better response down low. Fuel economy wont go backwards you'll probbly get a bit more out of a tank but not much.
Thanks mate, so you running a 6 or an 8, or doesn't it matter? I'm getting keener now to do this mod, running out of things to do, next will be the extractors then I think I'm done (final last words )
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.

Last edited by fipcee; 08-06-2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: spelling, too many beers
Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
ayeyew
Teh Baest

I count 6 plug leads, so my guess is he is running a 6

Once the mod bug bites, it bites hard and you're never done, lol

I've got 12 things "to do" over the next 12 months

1. Pod Filter
2. Fix the Scratch on the side of my car
3. Fit my oil cooler
4. Dynamat
5. Extractor heat shielding
6. CMS Stage 2 Cam
7. HID's
8. Tints
9. Hi Stall
10. Edit & Tune
11. TS50 kit
12. Bulge Bonnet

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #18
JoesAu

lol i didnt wanna answer that, 6 or 8, if the motor is straight shes a 6, if shes bent shes 8
Old 09-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
fipcee
not so stock

Quote:
lol i didnt wanna answer that, 6 or 8, if the motor is straight shes a 6, if shes bent shes 8
yea I guess it helps not to consume too many beers before asking questions, I was seeing double of everything anyway so I could easily have thought it was a v12
Old 09-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #20
yabby6
The Convert

Intake looks good. A few of the B-Series boys did intakes exactly the same, there's a walk through guide with pictures for anybody that wants to have a crack here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=89767
Old 09-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #21
JoesAu

hahah righto, yeah thats where the idea sprung from the Bseries guide