Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Passion Fingers
Starter Motor

Default LR Focus Zetec - Throttle pedal adjustment

I've been troubled for some time by the position of the pedals on my 02 LR Zetec.

I'd like to lift the throttle pedal 1-2cm, leaving the brake and clutch as they are.

The Haynes manual unhelpfully suggests there is no adjustment aside from cable length, which I'm reluctant to pursue.

The only options I've come up with so far are;

1. Attaching a block of wood or rubber to the pedal face (daggy, would do the job but could this be an issue at rego time?)

2. Fitting a spacer between the gromit and the cable end at the pedal itself. I'm not totally confident of being able to secure a spacer without pinching the cable

Any thoughts?

Passion Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

interesting idea. I have for quite a while been disapointed that i can't heel-toe.

I think your best bet might be a block behind where the pedal is mounted to the firewall.
The only problem you may encounter would be A) where the pedal comes to rest when you're not driving (right up the top where the cable is connected) and B) the length of the cable will have to be increased otherwise it'll want to turn the whole pedal assembly to face upwards.

Being a small car, you don't have a whole lot of leg room and i reckon the way they've made it feel as though it does is to mount the accelerator pedal further back.
Changing it's possition may change the entire driving possition and make it awkward or uncomfortable.

Just a thought anyway, I think there'll be a few other fellow LR owners that will be interested to see the results of any fiddling you do.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
819_FLY

Attaching a block of wood or rubber could be seen as a highly illegal modification, as in an instance it was to fall off and somehow get jammed under brake, clutch or accelerator pedals and cause and accident, you would be in a world of hurt.

Too my understanding you would like the pedal to sit up higher not closer to your driving position. Have you had a look at the pivot assembly of the pedal, there might be a stop that could be adjusted, however the throttle cable could end up with more slack if it can move that far past original settings.

Just that it is something that you don't want to get wrong at any point, because the consequences could be very bad.
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Passion Fingers
Starter Motor

Fly, (been away for a week)

I've been looking to get about 1cm back towards the seat and about 1cm higher.

I've had another look at the assembly and I reckon the spacer/pivot trick would be difficult to achieve - I suspect I'll wind up idling at 1500rpm!

That aside, since modifying the existing plastic pedal has it's limitations, has anybody heard of an alternative pedal that may fit? This would resolve the issue of an add-on, while allowing potential for adjustment.
Passion Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post