Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
McLovin'
"The Irish R&B singer"

Angry Political Correctness: The Medias New Crusade.

Just feel I need to say a few things about the BS I've been seeing on the news lately. It gets under my skin to see that the medias sensationalism (and the bleeding hearts that swallow it hook-line-and sinker) is costing people there careers and stirring up incredible and unjustified hatred against them.

Kyle Sandilands can seem like a bit of a tool at times but the latest furor over his comments to Magda Szubanski is absolutely ridiculous. It's plainly obvious that there was no anti-semitic undertones in what he was saying, I don't even think it was in poor taste, but yet I see an interview on the today show with a Jewish woman who's grandfather was in a concentration camp bursting into tears while talking about Kyle's comments. I realize the holocaust was a terrible thing but the two things are simply just not connected. Come on! It was just a crappy attempt at a joke! And of coarse no reporter or commentator will say what I just said because they will be labeled anti-semitic and risk directing all that blind anger and hatred onto themselves.

And John De La Bosca, I'm not the biggest fan of politicians but all this guy did was cheat on his wife with a particularly attractive blond girl. Who knows what the relationship with the wife or the girl was like? These things are usually pretty complicated anyway. But more importantly is any of this even our business? A scandal worth resigning over is dishonestly using your authority or not keeping your word when making election promises but as common as these things are the media isn't very interested.

Brad Fittler, a legend of the game, fired as coach of the Roosters because he was ****ed and tried to open the wrong door at a hotel. The news reports would rarely mention that the Roosters poor performance had anything to do with it, I guess that isn't exciting enough. I mean seriously, look at the scenario, its almost a non-event . I've knocked on and tried to open the wrong door while totally sober at hotels and at mates new places a few times, it a common mistake when in unfamiliar place. And doesn't "half-naked" sound shocking when compared to "without a shirt on", its pathetic and isn't honest news reporting.

This type of sensationalistic crap belongs in magazines like Woman's Day and New Idea and not in the main stream news and I hope others do see this before it gets too bad.

Last edited by McLovin'; 11-09-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention...
McLovin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I agree with the whole political correctness thing, you'd obviously realise any comments in relation to the holocaust were a joke, I actually found it pretty funny when I heard she had Polish background and what he had said. But maybe because I have a dark sense of humour. The one thing I REALLY didn't like was that girl who had been raped, that shouldn't have gone on the air and its also the mothers fault for getting her on there in the first place.

The holocaust was horrible, but it was just a joke.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Well I'm not on the bleeding hearts side thats for sure but to comment on the 3 examples above :

Kyle ? I can't see what the human race like about this childish smug arrogant SOB !
As far as I'm concerned he knowing the watch dogs would have been on his case confirms my description and thougths of him, hung himself which is great ! hope we don't hear from him again bring back someone with some smart wit IQ on radio ala Doug Mulray or Andrew the boy Genius Denton,they make the guy above rank in the gutter.

De La Bosca, Public person, play with Fire "expect the unexpected" public sacrifice not nice but he walked over the line and the parrasites (media) love it.....

Freddy ?, do you excuse a Professional coach of any team/code behaving in the above manner ? Come on, again the parrisites love this and ofcourse will sensationalise the event but it's not to be excused Legend or not ! He should have had more sense in the first place,he's not one of the boys anymore he's meant to be the figure head.
Dumbdumb and dumber.....

but I do support your politacal correctness view that it has gone to far but the celebs/footballers/high profile people know this and the smarter ones don't get caught ! or know there's a time and a place.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I do agree its a witchhunt in Sandilands case, but IMHO Kyle isnt stupid and is aware of his current 'situation'. There may have been some wisdom in pulling his head in short term...and instead he sticks it out there like its business as usual.

I dont assign fault....but Kyle is selling a product, that product is himself, and hes' really not doing himself any favours right now.

EDIT: Sorry should add, I support this witchhunt!!!! It'll keep the media distracted from hunting down 300kW killer showroom vehicles!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

KS is the tool everyone loves to hate. This is an image he deliberately cultivated and made his name from it. Going too far was always the threat to him. True shock jocks are smart enough to know how far to push, and when to stop. Kyle has got the 'edgy' part down pat - just not the intellect to put into into a public arena without burning himself.

Personally I choose not to listen, and that's fine with all concerned. No one is denying Kyle's right to free speach. He is not being criminally charged. Free speech doesn't mean you are immune to reactions to what you say though, especially in a public setting. And now that reaction is the face of commercial reality when you annoy too many people.

I believe that the lie detector issue was more serious. While Kyle was one of many negligent parties in that whole episode (in what way is it possible ok to force an underage girl, live on air, to discuss their sexual experiences - mother, co-host and program directors all to blame too), nevertheless he brought media attention to himself with his then severely unprofessional response.

People sympathise with Kyle for being blindsided there. Yes he was, but getting burned when you threw fuel on a dangerous fire you helped start doesn't mean that you are not to blame. That whole issue was more about the reaction of general society to the concept of forcing (yes against her will - listen to the uncut version) an underage person to discuss their sex life live on air for the entertainment and tittilation of the masses ultimately for commercial gain and ratings. The poor girl was just raped all over again in a different way. Kyle's response when the rape issue was raised showed how unprofessional he is in dealing with the dangerous settings he (among others) set out to make.

Kyle was dumb enough to supply the media with the target over his head (lie detector issue), then he gave them the arrows with poor taste jokes???

If breathing was not an automatic bodily function I have to wonder whether he would have even the intellect to manage that.

If I was that crap at my job, I would be fired too. No biggie. He is getting the same treatment as us all - he is just in the media spotlight.

Della, well the rumour is is was a set up. I reckon he should be judged on ministerial portfolio performance rather than personal choices - so long as that doesn't interfere with his ministerial (or parliamentary member) responsibilities. He resigned though - he was not sacked.

Last edited by Pinch; 11-09-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

If you really want to see how bad the PC things has gone take a look at the last 10 pages of this thread

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1255720

The venom that some people are spweing is unbelievable, with one guy (who seems to have some serious anger issues) informing another guy that his family were dancing on the graves of their ancestors because they had reconcilled and come to terms with what had happened to them in concentration camps.

The PC thing is out of control, but I notice it is very much the tool of choice for those that like to manipulate an outcome. Such new and exciting terms such as "climate change deniers (not sceptics, deniers mind you) etc and statements that have not been proven in anyway being used with the justification that the ends justify the means (5 kph over the limit is that same as being .05) etc etc.

Strange but true
Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Funny, I was chatting about this exact same thing the other day.

Kyle's problem now is that everything he says and does will be analysed and blown out of proportion, purely because he has quite a few enemies who now have the ammo to get rid of him. Personally, I think he's a d***bag, so I just don't listen to his show. The rape thing was wrong, and they paid the price for playing such risky games on live radio. The concentration camp joke was bad taste, but that's what they employ the bloke for, to be a controversial shock jock.

As far as footballers go, well that's a case of a few rotten apples ruining the whole bunch. Stuff like assault, glassings, etc, that is wrong and should be dealt with. But stupid stuff like accidentaly going into the wrong room, or having a leak against a wall on a night out, most blokes would have done that on a night out on the town. Because league has a bad reputation, it sells papers when there is even the sniff of a scandal. So now the whole lot of them need to be saints or face disciplinary action, which is over the top as far as I'm concerned. Young blokes will go out, get drunk, and have fun. Why should they be any different (provided no-one is hurt)?

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin'
Kyle Sandilands can seem like a bit of a tool
There's your answer.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The media has been pursuing political correctness for years.

That's why you hardly see sketch comedy anymore. Make fun of anybody in the slightest way, and everybody runs off crying to the lawyers.

Read the Herald Sun yesterday? Many people wrote it to state their disgust at what he said. I was thinking, "Don't these people have anything better to do?". I don't condone what he said (though I understand what he meant!), but people should spend more time watching their own backsides rather than smelling others...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

If being politically incorrect sold papers they'd write the stories in such a manner.

Unfortunately all witchhunts sell papers.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also like to chuck in political correctness is destroying afl . An why cant fev swing a donger in a pub - i think he media has more to answer for then he does
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
Barry_v
rocknrolla

i cant believe people have sympathy for kyle yet again. what does he have to do before people stop defending him?

perhaps people dont understand why it was so offensive: Magda Szubanski has polish ancestory! not cool.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
i cant believe people have sympathy for kyle yet again. what does he have to do before people stop defending him?

perhaps people dont understand why it was so offensive: Magda Szubanski has polish ancestory! not cool.
Thats what made it funny. He wouldn't have said that if he didn't realise.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

PC is like a cancer, slowly it gather momentum until BANG, it becomes terminal and before you know it we are being asked by the police through the media to look for criminal suspects described as being "male in appearance and wearing clothes".

As for KS, he's the epitome of an attention seeking fool. On the first major stuff up with KS, the girl admitted she was raped and what was his response?
Did he feign concern? No.
Did he pause the show? No.
Did he act alarmed? No.
He came out and asked; "Is that the only sexual experience you've had" - WTF?
Can someone be that self absorbed as to not see the gravitas of the situation? Purely cringeworthy.

As for the comments about Magda, it's because he was such a twat with the 12 year old that everyone was watching him. Sorry, but the genuine funny people of the world are funny because they don't pick on people. Jerry Seinfeld and those of his ilk don't target individuals for laughs, they target ideals or themselves. (Yes, Jerry did a show on anti-semitism but he is Jewish). Get my drift though?

On Della, he still had Iguana Joes and his wife keeping him on the negative side of notoriety, so a scandal where everyone thought that his wife would beat the proverbial out of him was always going to be popular. On this issue, I do feel sorry for Della and think that the media are indeed Evil.

On Fittler, I agree with the OP.

Quote: