Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #61
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: First drive - Ecoboost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Thanks for the write up Brent. Am i the only one that thinks its strange seeing a falcon without an inline 6?
Its pretty strange alright...

Open the bonnet and there's about a foot of free space between the rad support and the front of the motor!! Will be easy to service and work on!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #62
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone
Because I can not get behind thhe wheel of a Falcon without doing myself an injury - the steering wheel is just too damn low. So I bought a EB Mondeo.

the wheel is adjustable, up and down, for and aft. you must be tall. taller than 190cm anyway. i have no such issues.

an interesting aside. my old man has a volvo truck (fh12) and like most trucks of the last 10years or so, has air seats. when he opens the door, it automatically dumps the air so that when he hops in and out, he isn't scraping across the bolsters etc. when he hops in and sits on the seat, it automatically goes back to where its set at. this is a 2002 truck. i wonder why cars can't adapt a similar feature.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #63
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Just to answer a few qustions.

1) hard to tell how it handled around the burbs... felt simliar to the I6.
2) Tyres were Goodyears (Had fuel savers written on them), not sure of the model.
3) Car was not sold, I do not believe they have many orders yet, people will want to drive the car before they buy it (including fleet operators).
4) 1100 km range is optimistic, even in the XT which has a lower fuel consumption of 6.1 for highway. At that average if you run it dry your still only looking at 1114.... I think 900 - 950 per tank is more realistic for a highway car, in comparison to around the 700 mark for a petrol its still a winner.
5) The XT has a trip computer functions the same as the rest of the range.

As for the Mondeo vs. Falcon that is a tough one. I still think the RWD Falcon is a nicer drive then mondeo, and it has a better gearbox.

I still wish Ford put the V6 TDi in the Falcon, it would smash ecoboost with 440 nm of torque!
how many k`s did the little falcon have on it DashGT???, i`m thinking perhaps we can cut it a bit of slack in the go department if it`s not run in yet??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #64
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
how many k`s did the little falcon have on it DashGT???, i`m thinking perhaps we can cut it a bit of slack in the go department if it`s not run in yet??
I think in the OP it was 50km mik. I too think the outcome will be better once the motor runs in.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #65
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The car went fine but you could feel it working harder on hills (which is expected). As I said the performance is potentially comparable to BA XT 4 speed, so its no slouch!!
Old 13-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #66
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the wheel is adjustable, up and down, for and aft. you must be tall. taller than 190cm anyway. i have no such issues.

an interesting aside. my old man has a volvo truck (fh12) and like most trucks of the last 10years or so, has air seats. when he opens the door, it automatically dumps the air so that when he hops in and out, he isn't scraping across the bolsters etc. when he hops in and sits on the seat, it automatically goes back to where its set at. this is a 2002 truck. i wonder why cars can't adapt a similar feature.
i`m a bigish dude myself and+280 lb, i too have no trouble with the henry`s driving pozzy(except for a bit of arthritis getting in and out of any car) , but we are all built differently,
another feature for some cars like the earlier lexus ls/soarers had the steering wheel retracts when you pull the key out,(dunno if they still have it) very usefull in the soarers that don`t have a wide opening door like a falcon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #67
blk6t

Heres a link from Carsales with a pic of the engine bay...

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...coboost|CarAll

It does look small.
Old 13-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #68
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
Heres a link from Carsales with a pic of the engine bay...

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...coboost|CarAll

It does look small.
Interesting.. EB4, straight to limited edu & at 37.5K drive away!! Pretty good deal??

They need to fix the fuel Ecomony number.. They have 9.9 on the front page & then they show a pic of the sticker on the car at 8.5!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #69
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats because carsales has not made a listing for EB4 yet.. They only have 6 cylinder available...
Old 13-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #70
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

Well it certainly is an issue for me, with the wheel all the way up and seat all the way down, the steering wheel is still in my lap and I cannot get comfortable whatever I do. This is the main reason I wouldn't buy a Falcon. And I'm 185cm and far from overweight.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #71
blk6t

Quote:
Thats because carsales has not made a listing for EB4 yet.. They only have 6 cylinder available...

Yeah, that's why it took me ages to find one. I kept thinking they were all G6E Turbos with the 4L.
Old 13-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #72
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I still wish Ford put the V6 TDi in the Falcon, it would smash ecoboost with 440 nm of torque!
This would have sorted (IMO) all the consumers who the LPI and EB is aimed at, and would have cost less. Its ok, they will do a Tez and bring it out in 2014.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #73
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
This would have sorted (IMO) all the consumers who the LPI and EB is aimed at, and would have cost less. Its ok, they will do a Tez and bring it out in 2014.
I would order a G6E tomorrow with the Diesel....
Old 13-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #74
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Well it certainly is an issue for me, with the wheel all the way up and seat all the way down, the steering wheel is still in my lap and I cannot get comfortable whatever I do. This is the main reason I wouldn't buy a Falcon. And I'm 185cm and far from overweight.
I'm 185cm, 95 kg and I have no problem's at all with finding a comfortable seating posistion.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #75
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I'm 185cm, 95 kg and I have no problem's at all with finding a comfortable seating posistion.
The seat position is fine, its getting your legs in and out of underneath the steering wheel.... I really struggle.

Territory is fine, just the Falcon....
Old 13-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #76
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
The seat position is fine, its getting your legs in and out of underneath the steering wheel.... I really struggle.

Territory is fine, just the Falcon....
Never been a problem for me.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #77
trbo 6

Quote:
Have you pushed the steering wheel all the way in towards the dash?? I went to a defensive driver course and was surprised at how many people didn't know the steering moves in and out.
trbo 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #78
JimStone

Solid build at 196cm & 125kg - 6'5" and 275lbs in the old language. Tried all positions on the steering wheel, seat hieght and slide adjustment - no joy. I really wanted to order a FG2 Ecoboost, but simply could not live with such a fundemental flaw. So I bought the EB Mondeo.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #79
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbo 6
Have you pushed the steering wheel all the way in towards the dash?? I went to a defensive driver course and was surprised at how many people didn't know the steering moves in and out.

This is not aimed at you trbo 6, but what really gets up my goat is those people who have never had a problem with the sitting position issue (and as Brent said, more specifically getting in and out of the seat) thinking that because they have never had a problem then those that have a problem are either making it up or just trying to bag Ford's product.

Guys, for the last time, please understand that every single one of us is different and we are all affected in different ways. Just because you are x feet tall and weigh y kgs and don't have a hassle doesn't mean a person who is the same height and weight can't (and doesn't!) have an issue.

Ergonomics and anthropometrics all play in different ways.

And Prydey even had a thread in the contempory area to discuss this specific issue, so I don't think there's much value in repeating these issues here.

Sorry to and

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #80
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other problem with the Mondeo. Titanium doesn't have 10 way electric seats only 2 way. Ok in the Zetec but not the Titanium..
Old 13-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #81
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do not want to get into a debate over FWD, RWD, Mondeo, Falcon etc but reading some of the comments above I have to chip in my 2c.

Since getting my license I have owned 2 EL Falcons (GLi and Fairmont), 2 BA Falcons (Fairmont and XR6T) and we have also had and still have an MA Mondeo that we bought brand new in 2008. Over the past few years I have driven many FG Falcons, but have never owned.

Having done a combined 200000kms+ the Falcons I have owned and 120000kms in the Mondeo, from my experience the Mondeo is a much more comfortable car to drive. It is much easier to find a nice comfortable driving position. The drivers seat travel back further, goes down lower and the steering wheel travel is much better too. Also the seats are not hard up against the B pillar like in the Falcon. I am 195cm tall and solid build and overall find the Mondeo much better to drive from a comfort point of view. I also think the Mondeo makes much better use of internal space but that is a whole other subject.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #82
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
2) Tyres were Goodyears (Had fuel savers written on them), not sure of the model.
Might be the same as the Goodyear low rolling resistant eco BS tyres that where on our Focus', load of crap they are, stupidly loud and no grip.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #83
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a good look at one at Kingaroy yesterday (G6E).

Interestingly was told that they are P plate legal in QLD on a class exemption as in the new 210kw SV6 Commodore.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Thanks for the write up Brent. Am i the only one that thinks its strange seeing a falcon without an inline 6?
Just think about it being half a V8
Old 13-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #85
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Same height as me but I'm a fat *****, so I have issues getting in and out of it, the seat is too high and the steering column too low, I brush my thunder thighs on the wheel getting in/out.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #86
monte.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ford North America is raking in billions in profit every quarter.
Thats wonderful so why dont they send some over here so us taxpayers dont have to prop their business up, after all im sure when ford here was making a good profit some of the money went home to the usa ,i love my fords but it is a business after all and it needs to be treated as such ,im sure the general public here would have liked ford to come out and say ,no we dont want any money our company is going good and we will pay our own way just the same as they did in the usa when gm and the rest took the gove money and went bankrupt .its called respect for a brand and they lost it by taking our money
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #87
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b
Thats wonderful so why dont they send some over here so us taxpayers dont have to prop their business up, after all im sure when ford here was making a good profit some of the money went home to the usa ,i love my fords but it is a business after all and it needs to be treated as such ,im sure the general public here would have liked ford to come out and say ,no we dont want any money our company is going good and we will pay our own way just the same as they did in the usa when gm and the rest took the gove money and went bankrupt .its called respect for a brand and they lost it by taking our money
You need to look into this WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY more, as what you are saying is totally wrong.. Compared to other countries the Australian government supports local car companies the least, by far.. If you want a level playing field, then you support the Australian governments co-investing to be increased 2-3-4 times what it is now. Also, the Australian government has not paid 1 cent in bailouts to any car company in this country ever!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #88
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much does it cost? The Ford website doesn't even have it as an option in the build configurator.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #89
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Ecoboost is a NCO.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #90
monte.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
You need to look into this WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY more, as what you are saying is totally wrong.. Compared to other countries the Australian government supports local car companies the least, by far.. If you want a level playing field, then you support the Australian governments co-investing to be increased 2-3-4 times what it is now. Also, the Australian government has not paid 1 cent in bailouts to any car company in this country ever!!
The australian govement doent have any money ,its our money and they have given the car makers in this country millions and millions of dollars over the last few years of our money ,they have let every other manifacturing business in aust go broke and have helped them do it so what is so special about the car companies ,could have something to do with their headquarters being in the usa i suppose .Now dont get me wrong id rather them give the companies a few dollars to keep the jobs of the people working there rather than putting them on the dole ,but as i said if the us company is going good let them prop their own business up over here ,cause they have done well over the years taking profits home with them
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post