Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Question What grade of oil did you use??

You said that you put new oil in the car (engine) so I have to ask this question... How long had it been since the last oil change??
This could make a huge difference because if it had been a while and you had only topped it up along the way then my bet is that the valve stem seals have worn and the old oil may have been thick enough not to run (or seep) past the oil seals.
What happens is when the engine is running the oil is spread very finely on the valve stems to keep them lubricated as with any moving part in an engine. When the engine is stopped the oil will run back down the valve stems and pool against the oil seals and when the seals are worn the oil passes by into the spark chamber of the head.
Now sometimes you may have a few seals that are more worn than others which is why sometimes you might get a relatively clean start yet other times it's like somebody has set off a tear gas canister behind the car.
If you think this may be the case then I would suggest that you take your car into a qualified mechanic and get them to sort it out for you. I'm pretty sure that it is a head off job and unless you have a good workshop with the right tools and a good aptitude towards mechanical work, you may not be able to complete the job.

Cheers
Wayne